Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing your generation?
(06-27-2019, 05:57 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 02:59 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 06:37 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:26 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 06:40 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: Is it ever an option?

I know it seems nonsensical, but for those born near the cusp, isn't choice a factor? I have been playing with the notion that generations overlap rather than having neat boundaries, so for people from these "grey areas" there must be some other factors apart from birth date.
Mark Zuckerberg and Amy Winehouse have been both born in 1984, but I see Zuckerberg as a millennial, while Amy as an Xer. From an older generation, we could point to Jimmy Carter who is more Silent-like despite being born in a supposed G.I. year.

I agree that, as a cusper, you can ally with one camp rather than the other, but that changes nothing.  If the theory holds, then the idea of a "generation" is based not on uniformity but preponderance.  

It's impossible for any generation to be pure, so all archetypes must be represented at all times.  What sets a particular generation apart from another is percentage of each architype present.  If the breakdown is Civic (40%), Artist (25%), Idealist (15%), Nomad (20%), then the generational makeup point squarely at Civic.  At the cusp, the balance between adjacent generations become much less pronounced.

Life is analog, not digital, after all. Big Grin

So you think it's basically a kind of personality type?

Then a person born with Prophetic traits in 1990 would have a problem: to be an epigone of boomers, or prototype of the new Prophets?

A prototype of the new prophets. Those types usually are flying under the radar until the 2T in older age.

I disagree that an archetype not directly associated with the generational archetype would be problematic.  In fact, the absence of alternate archetypes would be a more likely source of problems, since group-think would be universal.  That's OK if the thinking is positive, but reinforced negative thinking would be risky at best and devastating at worst.

I mean that if someone is vastly outnumbered in the way their peers think, they can't make a big influence until their peers are in older age and they have younger people to listen to them. Timothy Leary had a 2T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 2T. Ronald Reagan had a 3T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 3T. I'm not comparing the two, just stating some examples.
(06-27-2019, 09:44 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I mean that if someone is vastly outnumbered in the way their peers think, they can't make a big influence until their peers are in older age and they have younger people to listen to them. Timothy Leary had a 2T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 2T. Ronald Reagan had a 3T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 3T. I'm not comparing the two, just stating some examples.

You are absolutely right. Gen Xers liked Reagan because he was basically like them. The sci-fi author Ray Bradbury had a boomer-like outlook (pacifism, appreciation of mythical thinking) despite having been born in 1920. Tolkien was born in the late 19th century, yet he was more like a Silent than a Lost. We even had a thread about people who don't fit their generational archetypes.

I don't think I have a millennial way of thinking, that's why I'm looking forward to new prophetic generation.
(06-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 09:44 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I mean that if someone is vastly outnumbered in the way their peers think, they can't make a big influence until their peers are in older age and they have younger people to listen to them. Timothy Leary had a 2T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 2T. Ronald Reagan had a 3T way of thinking so he influenced things in the 3T. I'm not comparing the two, just stating some examples.

You are absolutely right. Gen Xers liked Reagan because he was basically like them. The sci-fi author Ray Bradbury had a boomer-like outlook (pacifism, appreciation of mythical thinking) despite having been born in 1920. Tolkien was born in the late 19th century, yet he was more like a Silent than a Lost. We even had a thread about people who don't fit their generational archetypes.

I don't think I have a millennial way of thinking, that's why I'm looking forward to new prophetic generation.

I agree.  Pre-seasonal thinking does produce the mentoring effect, and it's often huge.  Everyone has to learn from someone.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

I agree.  Pre-seasonal thinking does produce the mentoring effect, and it's often huge.  Everyone has to learn from someone.  The youngest Artists created the leading edge of the music wave that the Boom built even higher.  Let's not forget that.  Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, the Beatles: we Boomers claim them but they were actually Silents, or War Babies.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

What do you disagree on over the Millennial way of thinking? I think that many of them infantilize people too much and don't want to let people make their own decisions. They also seem to think learning things on your own is impossible.
(06-30-2019, 02:47 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What do you disagree on over the Millennial way of thinking? I think that many of them infantilize people too much and don't want to let people make their own decisions. They also seem to think learning things on your own is impossible.

- I don't to have a want a smartphone, or a Facebook or Instagram account. Millennials are tech addicts!
- I hate 90's nostalgia. The 90's were degenerate: crime rate soared, pop culture was vulgar and cynical. Heavy metal and hip hop originated in the 90's and they are among most cancerous trends I have ever seen.
- I'm an individualistic thinker. I like to have my own opinions, rather than being part of an echo chamber.
- I think environmental apocalypse isn't nearly as likely as the intellectuals want us to believe.
- I also think millennials are way too obsessed with security. Left-leaning millennials want the state to protect their feelings, right-leaning millennials want to be protected from migrants. If they're really that afraid, they should learn some kung-fu kicks!
- And I cannot stand superhero movies Tongue
(06-30-2019, 03:07 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 02:47 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What do you disagree on over the Millennial way of thinking? I think that many of them infantilize people too much and don't want to let people make their own decisions. They also seem to think learning things on your own is impossible.

- I don't to have a want a smartphone, or a Facebook or Instagram account. Millennials are tech addicts!
- I hate 90's nostalgia. The 90's were degenerate: crime rate soared, pop culture was vulgar and cynical. Heavy metal and hip hop originated in the 90's and they are among most cancerous trends I have ever seen.
- I'm an individualistic thinker. I like to have my own opinions, rather than being part of an echo chamber.
- I think environmental apocalypse isn't nearly as likely as the intellectuals want us to believe.
- I also think millennials are way too obsessed with security. Left-leaning millennials want the state to protect their feelings, right-leaning millennials want to be protected from migrants. If they're really that afraid, they should learn some kung-fu kicks!

What generation do you relate to the most? Since you can't wait for the 2T, do you see yourself as a prophet type in a Civic generation?
(06-30-2019, 03:20 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What generation do you relate to the most? Since you can't wait for the 2T, do you see yourself as a prophet type in a Civic generation?

The Missionary. Dionysian and Apollonian saeculums alternate, and I feel like an Apollonian prophet. New prophets should be more like the Missionaries than the Boomers.
(06-30-2019, 03:07 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

-- Bill a slight correction 2 your post. Ozzy invented heavy metal way back in the late 60s early 70s. That said he does have alot of Millie fans, @ least in my extended family
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
(06-30-2019, 06:03 AM)Marypoza Wrote: -- Bill a slight correction 2 your post. Ozzy invented heavy metal way back in the late 60s early 70s. That said he does have alot of Millie fans, @ least in my extended family

Sure, but the 90s were the period heavy metal had most fans. Someone on the old 4T board called the early 90s a "Halloween" of the generational cycle.

I noticed however that whenever millennials mention 90s nostalgia they always think of cartoons and other childish stuff, while 90s teen and young adult culture was hidden from their view.
(06-30-2019, 03:36 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 03:20 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What generation do you relate to the most? Since you can't wait for the 2T, do you see yourself as a prophet type in a Civic generation?

The Missionary. Dionysian and Apollonian saeculums alternate, and I feel like an Apollonian prophet. New prophets should be more like the Missionaries than the Boomers.

What do you think of my suggestion of isolating yourself from most of the world until the world becomes suited to you? I will avoid all aspects of the world that are incompatible to me. Isolation I think is the best way to avoid being forced into a society you don't like.
(06-30-2019, 01:22 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What do you think of my suggestion of isolating yourself from most of the world until the world becomes suited to you? I will avoid all aspects of the world that are incompatible to me. Isolation I think is the best way to avoid being forced into a society you don't like.

I stay in touch with people who accept me for who I am. I don't talk to social media drones and PC fanatics unless I have to, but IRL I don't see as many such individuals as online.
(06-30-2019, 01:29 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:22 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: What do you think of my suggestion of isolating yourself from most of the world until the world becomes suited to you? I will avoid all aspects of the world that are incompatible to me. Isolation I think is the best way to avoid being forced into a society you don't like.

I stay in touch with people who accept me for who I am. I don't talk to social media drones and PC fanatics unless I have to, but IRL I don't see as many such individuals as online.

I enjoy arguing with those people and setting them off. I almost see them like parental figures to rebel against because it seems like they want to control me more than anyone. What could cause you to see people your age or even younger as parental figures trying to control you?
One does not get away with it. One might have appreciated the ways of the GI around 1980, but one could not find an economic niche by trying to imitate GI habits. The ways of people in their late 50s seem an indelible part of the national character -- until such people start to disappear. This applies even to spending habits. Unless people predictably age into certain markets (children into pop culture, the people in late middle age into products dedicated to the elderly), even an economic institution can fade.

Here is the best career advice that I can offer other than to become as proficient as possible at some desired specialty: seek out a career, if young, in an activity whose participants are retiring. As an example, welders are heavily concentrated in the Boom generation, and anyone who can weld can seemingly get a job just about anywhere, even in places in which the economy is nuked. The dividing line between employment and retirement is now passing through the mid-1950s for most occupations, so such is good advice for getting an entry-level job. People are living longer because they are taking better care of themselves, a pattern that began when the GIs were in middle age and started to get old, and has continued with the Silent and now most Boomers. Think about it: until the Millennial Generation entered adulthood we Boomers were the lightest smokers since the Transcendental Generation of Abraham Lincoln. The Gilded and Lost smoked like chimneys, and look what that did for them.

So welding seems a surprise among Boomers as a career? It is not an elite occupation, but it does put food on the table rather reliably -- the sort of thing that the humble find adequate. Sure, I can't imagine Donald Trump as a welder except as someone who would get others crippled, injured, or killed due to his recklessness and arrogance. A welding torch is only about as dangerous as a machine gun or a black mamba if mishandled. Maybe it is a good thing that Donald Trump has spent most of his career and made the vast majority of his money as a rent-collector. That is the ideal career for someone hollow, lazy, and lucky. "Lucky" of course means that one does not have one's inventory of property in such declining areas as Detroit, St. Louis, or Cleveland -- or in places that have never been great, like (name your favorite example of a place that has been a $#!+hole for a century).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-03-2019, 12:12 AM)taramarie Wrote: I don't think life is just for working towards paycheck to paycheck. I wish to aim for what makes my heart sing and gets me out of bed in the morning and not just a need for money. Boomers after all told us millennials, don't go for the money. Do what makes you happy.

And look how we ended up.  Is that how you want to end up?  Just for your information, GIs told us to work hard and be productive, and considered doing what made us happy to be goofing off.

Now I'm trying to remember where I learned to weld. Was it in high school, or in the Navy? Either way, I'm pretty sure it was GIs making me learn it. It wasn't what I ended up doing though.
(07-02-2019, 01:43 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I enjoy arguing with those people and setting them off. I almost see them like parental figures to rebel against because it seems like they want to control me more than anyone. What could cause you to see people your age or even younger as parental figures trying to control you?

You should talk to a therapist rather than seeking advice from a British bloke you've met on a forum, but my guess is repressed anger at your parents.
(07-09-2019, 05:50 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 01:43 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I enjoy arguing with those people and setting them off. I almost see them like parental figures to rebel against because it seems like they want to control me more than anyone. What could cause you to see people your age or even younger as parental figures trying to control you?

You should talk to a therapist rather than seeking advice from a British bloke you've met on a forum, but my guess is repressed anger at your parents.

Great advice.  I'm a bit autistic myself, and anger is easy to generate when you don't connect easily and others tend to misunderstand you as well.  My parents were oblivious, but then again, they had similar issues themselves.
(06-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

Tolkien was South African, The Boer War was their Crisis, not WW1 or WW2.

(06-28-2019, 06:21 AM)David Horn Wrote: Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, the Beatles: we Boomers claim them but they were actually Silents, or War Babies.

Boomer are truly narcissist, they claim anything for their generation (and the Silents are too afraid to grab the megaphone from these bullies). Whatever you think about feminism, gay rights, and the sexual revolution: The pioneer work had been done by Silents, for better or worse (they and the Boomers got the better, others get the worse).

It's like the Party in 1984 claiming at first they had invented the helicopter, and later the airplane too (and in the future, Winston expects they'll claim the steam engine).
(07-02-2019, 01:43 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:29 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

I enjoy arguing with those people and setting them off. I almost see them like parental figures to rebel against because it seems like they want to control me more than anyone. What could cause you to see people your age or even younger as parental figures trying to control you?

As with many parents with a child with Asperger's syndrome, they may have mishandled you. So you did not create trouble with violence (except to be a target of bullies as I was), criminal behavior, drugs, or alcohol. You were conformist enough to make your autistic behavior look like signs of being a free-spirit. Well, you weren't a free spirit: you got little fun out of it.

They did not know. They had no idea.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-13-2019, 10:53 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

As with many parents with a child with Asperger's syndrome, they may have mishandled you.

Their handling would have been fine 40 years earlier, which might have been when they were children themselves.  Personally I am trying to teach my children to hide or channel their independent streak since they're likely to live in the shadow of conformism demanding Millenials for most of their lives, but not all parents know generational theory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,201 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,331 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,845 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,080 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Anti-generation-ers jleagans 3 2,597 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Cocoa_Puff