Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will History Say, "Was This The Best America Could Come Up With?"
(11-09-2016, 08:38 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:37 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 03:55 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Trump's victory has sure brought the deplorables back to THIS board.

--yo Eric, what did your charts say again?

Eric's chart had some technical difficulties.

Very funny.  Salute
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(11-10-2016, 12:53 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Maybe the question will be "Why did America choose the worst?"

Want serious answers?  I might start.

The Republican party and supporting media outlets have been selling borrow and spend trickle down for years.  Their base believes in it.  It should not be difficult to imagine people thinking lower tax rates and less of the government telling them what to do are good things.  Blue folks should understand that such policy can seem very attractive, though it caused economic hardships under both Bushes.  It just doesn't work.

Since Nixon’s time, the southern strategy has been an element of Republican policy.  One not to be forgotten talking point is the ‘welfare queen’, the unwed mother who deliberately gets pregnant while staying unmarried so she can max out her welfare check.  This is subtly or not subtly behind the Republican policy favoring lower taxes and minimizing entitlements.  The desire to be independent and self sufficient ought to be understandable.  The desire to keep one’s money, to not see it go to them, is not always totally irrational and biased.

There is the notion that there has been an excess of political correctness.  Before Trump, I could almost believe it.  I could see abrasive militant opponents of racism and sexism searching for insult and abuse so intensely that their presence might become more disruptive than the presence of a bigot.  A lot could be said in favor of civility to both the bigot and the militant.  Since Trump, by many accounts, the bigots are becoming more open and blatant.  Bigotry didn’t die in the awakening.  It was forced to be somewhat more subtle.  Of late it is coming into the open again, enabled and encouraged by Trump and company.  A lot of deplorables out there welcome this and will vote for hate coming into the open again.  This is a trend that should not continue.

Both parties, supported by Citizen’s United, have allowed themselves to be bought and paid for by the capitalist elites.  In this election cycle, the Republican base clearly rejected the establishment politicians running for the Republican nomination, and the American People rejected the Clinton heritage as well.  The American political structure has been and remains corrupt, and an awful lot of red tainted people are entirely ready to reject the establishment of both parties.  I’m tempted to say that not enough blue tainted people are ready to reject the Democratic establishment.  The Democrats would have been better off going with Bernie.  For some time I have proposed that voters should get in the habit of rejecting any candidate who is beholden to corporate interests or even allows the impression of being beholden to corporate interests.  This is starting to happen.

Then there are the echo chamber bubbles.  The Republican Party has been handing out daily talking points to their media allies regularly.  If I described this sort of journalism as being more propaganda than news, a lot of folks wouldn’t argue.  Republicans living inside red echo chambers will talk of the liberal main stream media with a similar contempt for corporate and liberal agendas and lies.  The two groups of people cannot communicate or cooperate with one another as they do not perceive the same reality.  If one lives in certain parts of the country, if one limits one’s information sources to party organs, all Trumps lies will be accepted as unquestionably true.  I try to be dubious about both echo chambers.  No matter which reality one is living in, one ought to be prepared to assume that one's own echo chamber is being viewed as twisted contorted lies to the same extent as the opposition's echo chamber seems to you.

These are basic problems.  I suspect others will want to state more problems.  Please do.  It isn’t hard to propose easier said than done solutions.  Actually changing stuff, coming up with actionable ideas, will be harder.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(11-09-2016, 03:55 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Trump's victory has sure brought the deplorables back to THIS board.

Careful, if you succeed in forcing facts into the discussion, his world view exploding could be similar to the supernova...
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

LMAO!!!
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(11-10-2016, 05:21 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

Careful, if you succeed in forcing facts into the discussion, his world view exploding could be similar to the supernova...

Wouldn't you say, that now that we live in Trumpland, a lot of worldviews could be exploding?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 05:56 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:16 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:09 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Well now that the election is over, and we won....I need to get back to my real job.  Also you say Deplorables like that's a bad thing.  HRC didn't realize it but the Meme Team spun that into a badge of honor.  But then again she's so 20th century.  Daddy isn't, he won, he won on time and under budget too.

I must say though watching liberals cry today has been fun.

Yes, the Hillary mob was just as bad -- clueless to the end.  Still, the GOP has a plan to wreck the country, and now they can.
Wrecking the country is not in our interests. American conservatism is all about its preservation for the future. A future that most of you have shown me that you don't much care about. Live for today because for people like you there is no tomorrow.

Welcome back to yet another deplorable

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-10-2016, 08:04 AM)Odin Wrote:

LMAO!!!

-- me too  Big Grin we seriously need a like button here
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
may not be the only thing exploding in the coming years

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
You can laugh at one failure I make, and ignore my countless successes all you want, but the reality that you face is this:

As BuzzFeed’s Craig Silverman has documented repeatedly — and as anyone who has spent much time on their relatives’ profile pages can probably attest — Facebook has become a sewer of misinformation. Some of it is driven by ideology, but a lot is driven purely by the economic incentive structure Facebook has created: The fake stuff, when it connects with a Facebook user’s preconceived notions or sense of identity, spreads like wildfire. (And it’s a lot cheaper to make than real news.)

One example: I’m from a small town in south Louisiana. The day before the election, I looked at the Facebook page of the current mayor. Among the items he posted there in the final 48 hours of the campaign: Hillary Clinton Calling for Civil War If Trump Is Elected. Pope Francis Shocks World, Endorses Donald Trump for President. Barack Obama Admits He Was Born in Kenya. FBI Agent Who Was Suspected Of Leaking Hillary’s Corruption Is Dead.

These are not legit anti-Hillary stories. (There were plenty of those, to be sure, both on his page and in this election cycle.) These are imaginary, made up, frauds. And yet Facebook has built a platform for the active dispersal of these lies — in part because these lies travel really, really well. (The pope’s “endorsement” has over 868,000 Facebook shares. The Snopes piece noting the story is fake has but 33,000.)
http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/11/the-for...get-worse/

You are interested in facts, you say? Prepare to look deep. We live in a culture of lies, and the new Liar in Chief is at its disposal.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 09:40 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:37 PM)Marypoza Wrote: --yo Eric, what did your charts say again?

The two main methods worked; my Jupiter and Saturn methods did not. Because of Jupiter and Saturn's relationships to Hillary's chart, I thought it gave her an advantage. What I didn't hype too much is that no-one is completely sure of her birth time, which might change these positions. However, the current Saturn position in Trump's chart forecast a loss, and that method failed. Trump also had an advantage through an exact planetary connection between his natal horoscope and the horoscope of the USA.

But the chart for the new moon before the election forecast the party in power would win, but it shows how the people vote. The people voted for Hillary Clinton, so it was correct, as it was in 2000 with Gore. The point system gave the advantage to Trump as a better candidate, and he won. The same thing happened in 2000 with Bush v Gore.

But I predicted Hillary would win. I can't deny or run away from that failure.

The Republican heartland has more electoral votes, because they are smaller states. The Democratic vote is concentrated in California and New York, so it doesn't count as much in the electoral college nowadays. The constitution was constructed to give an advantage to smaller states. This year, the advantage for Hillary in California compared to Trump's win in more states was especially notable; we voted for Hillary by about 29 %. We gave her her popular vote victory.

I still have my article up; I don't know for how long. I deleted my video from you tube.
http://philosopherswheel.com/presidentialelections.html

-- good article. Planetwise, the 2 were a toss up. But your point system..... $hillary was what.. 7-9, 8-9  something like that & the Donald was 15-4.... l was going by that. ppl were surprised that l wasn't surprised the Donald won, l told them she had too many unfavorables going against her & of course wikileaks was dropping some really nasty bombs. Almost 1/2 the country didn't even vote.

Anyhow, thanx for answering my question seriously, even tho l was teasing you. Alot of ppl here cap on you but @ least you own up to your mistakes. That's worth something to me
Appreciate it maryposa

I can't deny that I am not unbiased in these elections (as if anyone couldn't tell), and I guess it influences what I choose to focus on in a hard-to-call election like this one with conflicting patterns.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-10-2016, 12:43 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: You can laugh at one failure I make, and ignore my countless successes all you want, but the reality that you face is this:

As BuzzFeed’s Craig Silverman has documented repeatedly — and as anyone who has spent much time on their relatives’ profile pages can probably attest — Facebook has become a sewer of misinformation. Some of it is driven by ideology, but a lot is driven purely by the economic incentive structure Facebook has created: The fake stuff, when it connects with a Facebook user’s preconceived notions or sense of identity, spreads like wildfire. (And it’s a lot cheaper to make than real news.)

One example: I’m from a small town in south Louisiana. The day before the election, I looked at the Facebook page of the current mayor. Among the items he posted there in the final 48 hours of the campaign: Hillary Clinton Calling for Civil War If Trump Is Elected. Pope Francis Shocks World, Endorses Donald Trump for President. Barack Obama Admits He Was Born in Kenya. FBI Agent Who Was Suspected Of Leaking Hillary’s Corruption Is Dead.

These are not legit anti-Hillary stories. (There were plenty of those, to be sure, both on his page and in this election cycle.) These are imaginary, made up, frauds. And yet Facebook has built a platform for the active dispersal of these lies — in part because these lies travel really, really well. (The pope’s “endorsement” has over 868,000 Facebook shares. The Snopes piece noting the story is fake has but 33,000.)
http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/11/the-for...get-worse/

You are interested in facts, you say? Prepare to look deep. We live in a culture of lies, and the new Liar in Chief is at its disposal.

--- morever what fb stories float depends on the # of likes they get. The more likes a story gets, the more prominent it is, whether it's real or fake
(11-10-2016, 02:26 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Citizens United is a threat to national security. It allows hostile foreign powers to influence our political outcomes. There is meat on that bone and good people need to seize upon it. Once that battle is won, there needs to be a second step. Public financing of candidates. Full stop. Done.

Clinton stated an intent to propose a constitution amendment to correct Citizen's United in her first 100 days.  One doesn't have to be president to propose constitutional amendments.  The people are quite obviously ticked off at corrupt establishment politicians.  If one can learn anything from this election, it is that.  Might it be time for such an amendment to be pushed?  Would it be hard to convince the voting public both urban and rural to vote any politician who gets in the way of the amendment out of power?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's legacy: A more divided America, a more unsettled world HealthyDebate 15 4,499 03-13-2021, 05:23 PM
Last Post: upside2
  The stench of moral decay, especially in politics, is creeping across America msel 35 9,338 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: newvoter
  America 'staring down the barrel of martial law', Oregon senator warns lwko 21 5,125 01-31-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: random3
  Countdown to a Free America pbrower2a 97 52,936 03-31-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: beechnut79
  America is a sick society Eric the Green 238 136,449 01-25-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  What America really stands for at ists best (Representative Ilhan Omar) pbrower2a 1 1,064 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Can Trump (or Pence) establish a dictatorship in America? pbrower2a 4 2,809 08-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  It's government regulation eating at America's heart nebraska 15 7,379 02-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Last Post: nom
  Lynching Free Speech: The Intolerant State of America theory 6 3,611 02-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Last Post: theory
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska