Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A message to my anti-Trump comrades.
Gonna repost this.

Quote:Don't expect shit to go downhill that quickly.

Trump will get his Indian summer, probably until after the 2018 midterms. You can expect that he'll rush through a few vaguely populist measures first, in an attempt at shoring up support. This will probably work.

If Trump is smart - and he is canny - he'll wait until after the midterm to begin pursuing deportations in earnest, just long enough to lull the public into a false sense of security.

The Democratic Party underestimated George Bush on the basis of his public persona, to their own peril. Don't make the same mistake again.

The public is scared right now. Everything seems to be crumbling. Who better to comfort them than President Reality Show?

I know the wait is frustrating, but you're all going to have to learn from the experience of the 60s and the mid-2000s.

Also, the Democratic Party goading him into focusing on infrastructure, as they seem to be doing, is useful in delaying the inevitable, but will increase his personal popularity. It's a catch-22.
Excellent points.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 10:29 PM)Einzige Wrote: Gonna repost this.

Quote:Don't expect shit to go downhill that quickly.

Trump will get his Indian summer, probably until after the 2018 midterms. You can expect that he'll rush through a few vaguely populist measures first, in an attempt at shoring up support. This will probably work.

If Trump is smart - and he is canny - he'll wait until after the midterm to begin pursuing deportations in earnest, just long enough to lull the public into a false sense of security.

The Democratic Party underestimated George Bush on the basis of his public persona, to their own peril. Don't make the same mistake again.

The public is scared right now. Everything seems to be crumbling. Who better to comfort them than President Reality Show?

I know the wait is frustrating, but you're all going to have to learn from the experience of the 60s and the mid-2000s.

Also, the Democratic Party goading him into focusing on infrastructure, as they seem to be doing, is useful in delaying the inevitable, but will increase his personal popularity. It's a catch-22.

He might be in some ways smart, but I wonder about his impulse control.  Anyone who gets into lengthy insult exchanges with gold star families, reporters and a former beauty queen might not have the right social skills to build a coalition that can bridge the red - blue culture divide.  He has an opportunity of sorts.  He doesn't owe much to anybody.  If he wanted to go down in history as a gray champion sort of hero, the potential is there.  It's just that I haven't seen evidence of the basic social skills necessary to build such a coalition.  Grey champions should be able to stick to ideals while building coalitions.  I haven't seen the skill mix to do this.

I don't know that rejecting him out of hand is the right move.  I'm not going to start blaring 'not my president' until he has demonstrated whether president Trump is different from candidate Trump.  It seems good tactics to attempt to work with him at first, though it might be appropriate to have obstructionist policies ready at hand.  We've seen the Republican blocking Obama's every move.  It wasn't pretty.  At least the Democrats know how to go about it.  When Hillary was ahead in the polls, they were talking about not allowing a vote on any of Hillary's Supreme Court candidates for four years?  How far does one take it?

One place to start is by saying if they don't allow a vote on Obama's nominee during the lame duck period, none of Trump's nominees will get a vote, either.  You work from there.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drivers take note: New anti-idling law in Ann Arbor taking effect nebraska 0 974 12-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Why do American "anti elite" types think the Kremlin is OK? X_4AD_84 55 30,379 10-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Anti-Fascism as a Unifying Force X_4AD_84 10 7,740 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58