Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Gavin Newsom Says People Now Required To Wear Masks In Public
Gov. Gavin Newsom Says People Now Required To Wear Masks In Public

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/18/calif...ed-public/
Relaxation of requirements that people wear masks was inevitable. The desire for profit from business and income from customary work, and of course the enjoyment of the usual pleasures of life does not go away quickly. It is good that those not disappear.

Most people complied with mask rules when COVID-19 was a clear and present danger. Then the danger seemed to abat. Then it got a revival. Here we are.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

The sports analogy of this pandemic: we're in the 2nd inning of a 9 inning ballgame. If that's true, then this will be demonstrably worse before it's finally resolved -- hopefully by a vaccine. It's also true that pretending things are OK when they clearly are not is a recipe for a massive number of deaths.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Baseball games, of course, are supposed to be fun.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

It's a step in the right direction, though Newsom should not be making it an "either/or" thing between distancing and masks, but rather should be requiring both. At least he has the right idea of doing what's needed to reopen businesses and keep them open.
(06-22-2020, 06:44 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: It's a step in the right direction, though Newsom should not be making it an "either/or" thing between distancing and masks, but rather should be requiring both.  At least he has the right idea of doing what's needed to reopen businesses and keep them open.

That's right. He also says the shelter in place order will be reimposed if necessary, and that he's willing to do it. He removed it too soon, and the results are showing in Southern California and increasingly in the north as well.

Absent such a shutdown, we need widespread testing and enforced/followed quarantines of those who test positive. Absent a vaccine and other medical therapies, quarantines are the only way to stop the spread of a contagious virus.

Meanwhile, the states in the south and southwest who removed controls and shutdowns too soon are the ones getting the most new cases, at record-breaking levels from 1000 to 5000 per day.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The elites have turned everyone into criminals, liars, hypocrites, and cowards.

The only good thing about living in a police state is that no one can take the moral high ground on anything.
(01-24-2021, 09:05 PM)random3 Wrote: The elites have turned everyone into criminals, liars, hypocrites, and cowards.

The only good thing about living in a police state is that no one can take the moral high ground on anything.

Your thread titles show that you have all the wrong priorities.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-27-2021, 10:29 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 09:05 PM)random3 Wrote: The elites have turned everyone into criminals, liars, hypocrites, and cowards.

Your thread titles show that you have all the wrong priorities.

I found that I could drink through a straw under a mask. I can eat in a car.

Part of the reason Americans love the police state is that the government made Americans dependent on the government.

The government steals money from taxpayers to give to the lazy and outlaws feeding the homeless and starting a business.

The government bans guns so Americans must rely on the Gestapo for protection.

No one dares criticize the government if they will lose their food stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, and Section 8.
(01-28-2021, 06:39 PM)elect21 Wrote: Part of the reason Americans love the police state is that the government made Americans dependent on the government.

Some people need little government help and some don't. Big Business depends upon government to enforce contracts, to standardize measurements, and to prosecute thieves. Big Business depends upon public K-12 education for basic preparation for low-level employees. Note well that the current design of public K-12 education is largely to prepare youth to do factory work, which used to be the most common destination of high-school grads. That is obsolete, and that is much of the problem in education. 

I have lost my empathy for traffic-law violators. I see state troopers with radar guns, and I know that if one travels on a certain expressway at 76 mph, one's first impression of Michigan may be an encounter with a state trooper writing you a ticket. Speeders cause an inordinate number of vehicle crashes, and the higher the speed the worse are the crashes. Add to this, one fourth of all speeders are drunk or on drugs. Speeding drunks and druggies? Talk about a double-dip of highway menace!           

Quote:The government steals money from taxpayers to give to the lazy and outlaws feeding the homeless and starting a business.

Just because the parents of some poor children are lazy bums does not mean that the children deserve to suffer for that. Raising children to be good citizens is not something that anyone can assume as inherent in human nature. 

Quote:The government bans guns so Americans must rely on the Gestapo for protection.

Americans have far more 'gun rights' than do the people of many other countries. It is arguable that people had more 'gun rights' in the Soviet Union under Brezhnev than in the UK under Thatcher. Which was the dictator -- Brezhnev or Thatcher? Before someone talks about Nazi Germany and the Gestapo... Nazi Germany was awash in privately-held firearms. Practically every Nazi in good standing was expected to own a gun... or several. People not in good standing with the Nazi Party were prohibited from having guns, of course. As far as that goes, Jews were quickly stripped of the right to keep dogs. The beloved pet dog of a Jewish family might have bitten a Nazi attempting to abuse the Jew and harmed some precious Aryan flesh.

Dogs are far safer than guns to their owners, but not to rapists, muggers, and burglars. Dogs are often almost as large as some documented man-eaters (bears and big cats) and have similar claws and teeth.  Small dogs can combine as if one giant predator. Dogs are just above us in the food chain, and all that keeps them from killing us is good behavior -- theirs and ours. Rapists, muggers, and burglars are meat. 

Few people have anything worth stealing that is worth a severe mauling by the Other Big Cat. (As that goes, if I were a burglar, I wouldn't trust any "little tiger", either. Then again, I do not do crime, and I take the side of law enforcement against the garden-variety criminal). One of the most common means of committing suicide is by firearm; dogs, in contrast, are more likely to reduce depression and hence the possibility of suicide. 

Quote:No one dares criticize the government if they will lose their food stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, and Section 8.

You lose your food stamps if you are a fugitive from justice. Obamacare saved my life. "Obama phones" are intended to make seeking a job and getting off welfare easier.

Collapse of the USA is not a theory.

You just need to look outside your window to see it.

Who hasn't been arrested, been prevented from traveling, had a school closed, received welfare, been wiretapped, been groped by the TSA, had to wear a mask, lost a job, or had a business closed?
(01-29-2021, 07:29 PM)random3 Wrote: Collapse of the USA is not a theory.

You just need to look outside your window to see it.

Who hasn't been arrested, been prevented from traveling, had a school closed, received welfare, been wiretapped, been groped by the TSA, had to wear a mask, lost a job, or had a business closed?

Get your meds adjusted. You're way past manic -- nearing outright psychosis.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-28-2021, 06:39 PM)elect21 Wrote: Part of the reason Americans love the police state is that the government made Americans dependent on the government.

The government steals money from taxpayers to give to the lazy and outlaws feeding the homeless and starting a business.

The government bans guns so Americans must rely on the Gestapo for protection.

No one dares criticize the government if they will lose their food stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, and Section 8.

Yes, unlike business, which makes Americans dependent on their paycheck - the height of freedom, the ultimate expression of human liberty.

Jobs and wage labor are slavery once removed. The requirement for these forms of historical activity were imposed by force, from Enclosure in England to the elimination of non-waged forms of production in the Amerixas. The bourgeois State facilitates this use of force (as in the aforementioned use of Obamaphones for the purpose enabling workers to get off welfare). Impotent leftists like Eric the Green, who seek first causes in the stars and in themselves and in everything but the objective material factors of production in the society surrounding them, also help in this by perpetuating delusions about the concrete order of things.

I have never worked. I will never work. Neither will I enter market relations. I do not buy or sell. I happily receive welfare, and delight in knowing some angry small proprietor paid for it, all the while happily criticizing bourgeois welfare programmes for their role in perpetuating and reproducing waged labor. This, for myself, represents the ultimate victory - the total refusal of market relations.
Americans used to have shame.
(02-03-2021, 05:18 AM)random3 Wrote: Americans used to have shame.

Better to feel shame than to do shameful things and see nothing wrong.

The US is a police state now. Americans should be out in the streets with pitchforks and torches, but instead they would rather shut up, cover their ears, and put their heads in the sand.

Weird.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lawmakers Send Newsom Bill That Could Ban Gas Generators chairb 0 645 10-21-2021, 05:27 AM
Last Post: chairb
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul Wants People To Believe In Their Government Again galaxy 22 5,683 10-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Trump's people have founded their Party: pbrower2a 81 15,189 09-19-2021, 02:00 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Two more women accuse Gov. Andrew Cuomo of inappropriate behavior Adar 0 651 03-08-2021, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Adar
  California to ban all new gas-powered cars by 2035 under order from Gov. Gavin Newsom girlmonday 18 4,189 03-08-2021, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Gov. Mike DeWine plans to extend curfew; announces new testing program newvoter 0 700 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Michigan orchard sues Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to prevent shutdown of business newvoter 2 1,078 03-01-2021, 02:36 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Gov. Andrew Cuomo signs bill banning undetectable 3D-printed guns random3 6 1,833 02-12-2021, 07:37 PM
Last Post: random3
  Gov. Whitmer Violates Her Own Social Distancing Order during Civil Rights March Luza 0 574 02-03-2021, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Luza
  Governments turn tables by suing people who request public records nebraska 0 1,154 01-29-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: nebraska