Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Vote For The Reform Party Candidate?
And who will it be?

How about former Ohio Republican congressman Steve LaTourette (presumably no relation to Georges Gilles de la Tourette)?

Could we outdo 1860 by having a five-way screaming match?  And MSNBC was reporting the results of a poll yesterday which gave Gary Johnson and Jill Stein 16% between them.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(06-28-2016, 08:08 AM)Anthony 58 Wrote: And who will it be?

How about former Ohio Republican congressman Steve LaTourette (presumably no relation to Georges Gilles de la Tourette)?

Could we outdo 1860 by having a five-way screaming match?  And MSNBC was reporting the results of a poll yesterday which gave Gary Johnson and Jill Stein 16% between them.
I'm voting Hillary.
I don't have a problem with Hillary Clinton. Sure, she owns the foreign-policy bumbling of Barack Obama.  Not so much of that? Then maybe the successes. 

Quote:WASHINGTON — After spending more than two years and $7 million, the House Select Committee on Benghazi released a report Tuesday that found — like eight investigations before it — no evidence of wrongdoing by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton or other members of the Obama administration.

The House voted to create the committee after Republicans were frustrated that even their own GOP-led committees failed to find wrongdoing in the events surrounding the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

But the new report also fails to find evidence of wrongdoing, revealing as all previous reports did that the administration’s response to the terror attacks was flawed, but not malicious or derelict.

The select committee report largely repeats the findings of other reports, with a handful of new details and a lot of fresh condemnation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beng...80?section=

OK, so I tell the Republicans that I know to go ahead and vote for Gary Johnson if they can't stand Trump demagoguery. Go ahead and make the statement that I can't.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Ms. Clinton is not my first choice, but she's acceptable to me and far better than Mr. Trump.
Your question, "Would I vote for the reform party candidate?" is way too hypothetical.

What "Reform Party?"

What "Candidate?"

"Reforming" what, how, turning what into what?
[fon‌t=Arial Black]... a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.[/font]
Reform Party? This thread is more proof that Tony is stuck in the 90s! Big Grin
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
Uh, no, no, no, and of course, no. This might be the first Presidential election I have skipped since 1980.
(06-29-2016, 07:16 AM)Odin Wrote: Reform Party? This thread is more proof that Tony is stuck in the 90s! Big Grin

<Sigh>  Mr. Odin Taylor just doesn't seem to get Jonesers. Tongue

---Value Added Cool
But what about Angus King as the Reform nominee?

Betcha he carries his home state of Maine - and in a razor-thin election that alone could be enough to throw the election to the House of Representatives.

And with both Trump and Hillary's negative numbers in cloud-cuckoo-land, Maine might not be the only state King would win.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(06-30-2016, 06:57 AM)Anthony Wrote: But what about Angus King as the Reform nominee?

Betcha he carries his home state of Maine - and in a razor-thin election that alone could be enough to throw the election to the House of Representatives.

And with both Trump and Hillary's negative numbers in cloud-cuckoo-land, Maine might not be the only state King would win.

Maine independents running are the reason why this turkey won two elections for Maine governor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_LePage

[Image: 220px-LePage_cropped.jpeg]
But Angus King is a lot more moderate than Paul LePage - who is actually reminiscent of France's Jean-Marie Le Pen.
(07-01-2016, 07:05 AM)Anthony 58 Wrote: But Angus King is a lot more moderate than Paul LePage - who is actually reminiscent of France's Jean-Marie Le Pen.
That's not my point. A moderate, Elliot Cutler, ran against both LePage and the Democratic candidate both in 2010 and 2014, allowing LePage to win with a plurality in a three-way race. I'd hate Angus King to allow the same this November, by syphoning off Hillary Clinton votes and allowing Donald Trump to win with a plurality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_LePage#2010_election
I would seriously consider switching my vote from Donald Trump to Angus King if King is the Reform Party nominee - ideally with Steve LaTourette as his running mate.

How many other Trump supporters (and Hillary supporters) would do the same?

I betcha a lot.
Isn't Trump basically the Reform Party candidate in Republican clothing?
The Reform Party will have to re-establish itself in states like California where it lost ballot status. The Reform Party ran a Trump-like candidate in 2000 (Pat Buchanan), and that was its doom thus far. Another such candidate might not work for them. The Reform Party's potential was as a moderate party; xenophobia is only appealing on the right-wing. Ross Perot was a flawed candidate, but his generally-moderate approach had great potential to break open the duopoly. And he was anti free trade, so that was a common stance with Trump today.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-06-2016, 10:29 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: The Reform Party will have to re-establish itself in states like California where it lost ballot status. The Reform Party ran a Trump-like candidate in 2000 (Pat Buchanan), and that was its doom thus far. Another such candidate might not work for them. The Reform Party's potential was as a moderate party; xenophobia is only appealing on the right-wing. Ross Perot was a flawed candidate, but his generally-moderate approach had great potential to break open the duopoly. And he was anti free trade, so that was a common stance with Trump today.

Has it held a convention? It might as well nominate the Libertarian ticket.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

The Reform Party and the Libertarian Party are too different to combine. In some ways they are opposites, and Libertarians are too inflexible and narrow in their policies and ideology to combine with other parties.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-06-2016, 12:07 AM)Drakus79 Wrote: Isn't Trump basically the Reform Party candidate in Republican clothing?

I know that Buchanan (the nearest guy to Trump on the scene today) talked about reform and how money corrupts the system and wealth and power holds down the people, and Trump talks like that too at times; there just doesn't seem to be any substance behind Trump's blatherings about reform. The trouble with wearing Republican clothes, is that it's very hard for politicians to take them off once they put them on, even for reality TV hosts and billionaire real estate speculators.

And of course as I said before, the xenophobic element in Buchanan and Trump turns many potential moderate supporters off. Buchanan's candidacy spelled doom for the Reform Party as of now. One thing different about Buchanan is that he holds to a more social-conservative line on things like abortion and gays than Trump does.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-07-2016, 12:07 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The Reform Party and the Libertarian Party are too different to combine. In some ways they are opposites, and Libertarians are too inflexible and narrow in their policies and ideology to combine with other parties.

I heard that a lot of Libertarians are pissed at their party nominating Gary Johnson because he's tainted by having actual experience at governing, which tells you you need to know about how out of touch with reality doctrinaire Libertarians are! Big Grin
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
The Reform Party's magic bullet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Sestak

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will Millennials fulfill their "civic" role and vote in midterms? Eric the Green 1 655 04-02-2022, 08:16 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Trump's people have founded their Party: pbrower2a 81 15,189 09-19-2021, 02:00 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The USA Today editorial board calls for Copmala Harris to oversee police reform Einzige 0 734 04-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Einzige
  County Libertarian Party organizes trash pickup HealthyDebate 2 1,100 03-12-2021, 04:06 AM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 744 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Don’t Vote for a Psychopath: Tyranny at the Hands of a Psychopathic Government random3 32 6,363 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
Last Post: random3
  House of Delegates, Senate panel vote to ban electronic 'skill' games Luza 0 606 02-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Luza
  The Birthday Party Isoko 1 1,052 07-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Why rural voters don’t vote Democratic anymore Dan '82 82 51,841 03-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Ohio lawmakers vote to give themselves a pay raise Unicorn 18 4,795 12-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Last Post: nvfd