Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Election 2020
(10-06-2020, 03:07 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: The police are the legitimate authority, and they are usually too busy busting meth labs, nabbing DUI offenders, and interfering in violent family arguments to interfere in the electoral process. Few of us would want them interfering in the electoral process.

I trust that if anyone tried to intimidate voters with the aid of some unofficial militia the local police would tell members of such militia that they can go somewhere else on their own or go to jail in a squad car. State police would back that up. There is a reliable number for dispersing such a militia:

9-1-1
The police are no longer the legitimate authority these days. Black Lives Matter and Antifa are now the legitimate authority today. If you need help, you best call them. If you need a loaf of bread, you best learn to call them as well.
(10-06-2020, 04:16 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 03:07 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: The police are the legitimate authority, and they are usually too busy busting meth labs, nabbing DUI offenders, and interfering in violent family arguments to interfere in the electoral process. Few of us would want them interfering in the electoral process.

I trust that if anyone tried to intimidate voters with the aid of some unofficial militia the local police would tell members of such militia that they can go somewhere else on their own or go to jail in a squad car. State police would back that up. There is a reliable number for dispersing such a militia:

9-1-1
The police are no longer the legitimate authority these days. Black Lives Matter and Antifa are now the legitimate authority today. If you need help, you best call them. If you need a loaf of bread, you best learn to call them as well.

So when was the last time you called BLM and Antifa for help? America on Earth 2 is getting pretty pathetic.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(10-06-2020, 05:01 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

9-1-1

So when was the last time you called BLM and Antifa for help?  America on Earth 2 is getting pretty pathetic.
When was the last time you called the cops? Oh, that's right, you're not a Democratic supporter of some sort who lives in Minneapolis, Chicago, Portland or New York City. You're a cozy white Democratic supporter who lives in Cape Cod.

9-1-1

You must be confusing Black Lives Matters with the Black Panthers. 

You seem to be cracking up. Get help before you do something preventable yet inexcusable!

Black Lives Matters events are intended to be polite, peaceful protest. If I saw something else I would call the cops. People who take camcorders to document police brutality are more likely to document rioter brutality or other other crimes. Rioters are not Black Lives Matter or Antifa. 

We liberals are for law and order but against criminal brutality by police which does nothing to create domestic tranquility. Many of us take cameras, still or motion picture, to document events. If we see looting or other crime we know where to take the photographic or video evidence.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-06-2020, 06:15 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

9-1-1

You seem to be cracking up. Get help before you do something preventable yet inexcusable!

Black Lives Matters events are intended to be polite, peaceful protest. If I saw something else I would call the cops. People who take camcorders to document police brutality are more likely to document rioter brutality or other other crimes. Rioters are not Black Lives Matter or Antifa. 

We liberals are for law and order but against criminal brutality by police which does nothing to create domestic tranquility. Many of us take cameras, still or motion picture, to document events. If we see looting or other crime we know where to take the photographic or video evidence.
Black Lives Matter is today's version of the Black Panthers. Whatever... America doesn't care because America mainly views them as a Democratic problem these days.
I have been recently watching MSNBC most nights.  Today seemed a fairly eventful night.  A few items.

An hour before the stock market closed, Trump tweeted a stop to the COVID stimulation bill working through Congress.  This immediately caused the stock market to take a pretty big dive.  Apparently, somebody talked sense into him and he has flipped on the issue, but there were a bunch of people scratching their heads.  This was a particularly bad move politically.

Nancy’s reaction was less outrage for the American people and more to wonder aloud if the drug treatment being given Trump for the virus was effecting his mind.  This was a major theme for the night.  One of the guest doctors reminded the audience of what they might have felt like when they took the oral steroid version common for inflammation.  I know I did once.  You feel like Superman, ready to go out and mow lawns and reroof houses.  Trump’s medication is the same only worse, an intravenous version that produces the same effect but exaggerated.  My sister had a similar problem, and during the steroid dosage wanted meat.  The steroids are mind altering.  The low oxygen levels are mind altering.  COVID itself is mind altering, impeding one’s mental acuity including the ability to judge any loss of mental acuity.  In short, Trump is a bit crazy and that assumes generously that when he is normal he is normal.  The drive around Walter Read is fairly consistent with the pattern, the need to go out and do something.

The not quite spoken thought is that the cabinet should remove him temporarily.

Meanwhile Pence reportedly saw Trump in the Oval Office two days before Trump developed symptoms.  This could easily have made him contagious at the time.  Thus, Pence could go through the same thing.  Hopefully he will remain non symptomatic, will not require anywhere near the same level of treatment.

It was noted that about 3/4 of Americans thought a next round of COVID relief was more important that the Supreme Court appointment.

Another segment confirmed Dave’s noting of polls now showing Biden over Trump in the vicinity of 15%.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(10-06-2020, 07:40 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

9-1-1

Black Lives Matter is today's version of the Black Panthers. Whatever...  America doesn't care because America mainly views them as a Democratic problem these days.

We don't care if you guys think you are America.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-06-2020, 09:53 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I have been recently watching MSNBC most nights.  Today seemed a fairly eventful night.  A few items.

An hour before the stock market closed, Trump tweeted a stop to the COVID stimulation bill working through Congress.  This immediately caused the stock marked to take a pretty big dive.  Apparently, somebody talked sense into him and he has flipped on the issue, but there were a bunch of people scratching their heads.  This was a particularly bad move politically.

Nancy’s reaction was less outrage for the American people and more to wonder aloud if the drug treatment being given Trump for the virus was effecting his mind.  This was a major theme for the night.  One of the guest doctors reminded the audience of what they might have felt like when they took the oral steroid version common for inflammation.  I know I did once.  You feel like Superman, ready to go out and mow lawns and reroof houses.  Trump’s medication is the same only worse, an intravenous version that produces the same effect but exaggerated.  The steroids are mind altering.  The low oxygen levels are mind altering.  COVID itself is mind altering, impeding one’s mental acuity including the ability to judge any loss of mental acuity.  In short, Trump is a bit crazy and that assumes generously that when he is normal he is normal.  The drive around Walter Read is fairly consistent with the pattern, the need to go out and do something.

The not quite spoken thought is that the cabinet should remove him temporarily.

Meanwhile Pence reportedly saw Trump in the Oval Office two days before Trump developed symptoms.  This could easily have made him contagious at the time.  Thus, Pence could go through the same thing.  Hopefully he will remain non symptomatic, will not require anywhere near the same level of treatment.

It was noted that about 3/4 of Americans thought a next round of COVID relief was more important that the Supreme Court appointment.

Another segment confirmed Dave’s noting of polls now showing Biden over Trump in the vicinity of 15%.

I think Trump has finally crossed the line with voters. What was he thinking? 

Biden will be up nationally by 20 points or more next week.

I have a feeling the fireworks are just getting started and Trump may scorch the earth and salt the fields on his way out the door.
(10-07-2020, 07:32 AM)User3451 Wrote: I think Trump has finally crossed the line with voters. What was he thinking? 

Biden will be up nationally by 20 points or more next week.

I have a feeling the fireworks are just getting started and Trump may scorch the earth and salt the fields on his way out the door.

No bet on the 20%.

If Trump does start going scorched earth, I think he would lose the cabinet and the Republicans in the senate.  Either could remove him, either temporarily or permanently.  They have to at least pretend to continue their careers.  A blatant attempt to harm that which he was sworn to protect would turn even a Republican.

9-1-1

Black Lives Matter is today's version of the Black Panthers. Whatever...  America doesn't care because America mainly views them as a Democratic problem these days.

Your idea of what constitutes America is very different from mine. We all have the responsibility to accommodate statutory law as a basic minimum of decency in behavior. We have no obligation to accept that any people are second-class citizens or worse.

People very different from me can be just as American as I am.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-07-2020, 08:48 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 07:40 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Black Lives Matter is today's version of the Black Panthers. Whatever...  America doesn't care because America mainly views them as a Democratic problem these days.

Your idea of what constitutes America is very different from mine. We all have the responsibility to accommodate statutory law as a basic minimum of decency in behavior. We have no obligation to accept that any people are second-class citizens or worse.

The Black Panthers were roughly comparable with today's Antifa. They are willing to go violent if the opposition does. Black Lives Matter is more compatible with Martin Luther King's Civil Rights protest. Their objective is to protest, not look for an excuse for violence.

The difference is one between tribal thinking and more abstract principle like 'all men are created equal.' There is no denying the Cavalier culture contains a dash of tribal thinking, and that the Cavalier heirs contributed much to America, as did the Roundheads. To this day, people can be incredibly stubborn in clinging to one or the other. Stubborn or principled, depending on whether one is talking about them or us. Still, Classic calling only one pattern American is rather obtuse even for him.
(10-07-2020, 09:13 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 07:40 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Black Lives Matter is today's version of the Black Panthers. Whatever...  America doesn't care because America mainly views them as a Democratic problem these days.

The Black Panthers were roughly comparable with today's Antifa.  They are willing to go violent if the opposition does.  Black Lives Matter is more compatible with Martin Luther King's Civil Rights protest.  Their objective is to protest, not look for an excuse for violence.

I do not trust Antifa. Dr. King sought to create a broad coalition based upon shared conscience that refutes tribalism in politics while recognizing the validity of cultural differences. 

Quote:The difference is one between tribal thinking and more abstract principle like 'all men are created equal.'  There is no denying the Cavalier culture contains a dash of tribal thinking, and that the Cavalier heirs contributed much to America, as did the Roundheads.  To this day, people can be incredibly stubborn in clinging to one or the other.  Stubborn or principled, depending on whether one is talking about them or us.  Still, Classic calling only one pattern American is rather obtuse even for him.

The Cavalier culture came to hold that all white, property-owning men are created equal. Take away the qualifications for race, property ownership, and gender and one has it right.

(10-07-2020, 06:19 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

9-1-1

We don't have to think about it, we know we are Americans. Liberal's like you have to think about it and ask silly questions or question it too.
(10-07-2020, 05:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 06:19 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 04:16 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: The police are no longer the legitimate authority these days. Black Lives Matter and Antifa are now the legitimate authority today. If you need help, you best call them. If you need a loaf of bread, you best learn to call them as well.

We don't have to think about it, we know we are Americans. Liberal's like you have to think about it and ask silly questions or question it too.

We don't care if you supposedly "know" you are Americans either. And it's very clear that you haven't the slightest idea what "America" means. And we also know that you guys don't think. You just react from herd instinct.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Well, I certainly like following the polls when they go my way like this. I hope it continues today and beyond. Trump took a dive after cutting off negotiations over covid relief. Now he's backtracking a bit, so we'll see where this goes. The realclearpolitics poll average is up to +Biden 9.7 today.

Polling averages for Oct.7, 8 PM EDT
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pol.../national/

National Biden +9.5

Alaska Trump +4.7
Arizona Biden +4.4
Colorado Biden +12.8
Florida Biden +4.6
Georgia Biden +1.1
Iowa Biden +0.9
Kansas Trump +7.1
Maine CD2 Biden +1
Michigan Biden +7.7
Minnesota Biden +8.8
Missouri Trump +5.8
Montana Trump +7.9
Nevada Biden +6.6
New Hampshire Biden +9.8
North Carolina Biden +2.5
Ohio Biden +0.7
Pennsylvania Biden +6.9
South Carolina Trump +5.2
Texas Trump +1.1
Virginia Biden +12.2
Wisconsin Biden +6.9

[Image: V1V7Z]

Map based on the fivethirtyeight poll averages, using the 270towin interactive polling map
https://www.270towin.com/maps/biden-trump-polling-map
My standards based on 6% segments: gray= tossup +-3%, Republican=red, Democratic=blue: 3-9% leaning, 9-15% likely, 15+% solid

Polling averages on 270towin:

National: Biden +11
https://www.270towin.com/2020-polls-biden-trump/

https://www.270towin.com/content/2020-pr...te-polling
Alaska Trump +6
Arizona Biden +4.6
Florida Biden +5.1
Georgia Biden +1.6
Iowa Biden +1
Michigan Biden +8
Minnesota Biden +9
Nevada Biden +7.4
New Hampshire Biden +7.4
North Carolina Biden +2.4
Ohio Biden +0.6
Pennsylvania Biden +7.8
South Carolina Trump +5.7
Texas Trump +2.8
Virginia Biden +9.5
Wisconsin Biden +5.2

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
FLORIDA: Biden 51%, Trump 40%

PENNSYLVANIA: Biden 54%, Trump 41%

IOWA: Biden 50%, Trump 45%

IOWA SENATE: Greenfield 50%, Ernst 45%

https://poll.qu.edu/florida/release-deta...aseID=3678

If accurate, strong evidence of a Trump collapse.

Likewise:
MT
https://filesforprogress.org/memos/2020-...k-3/MT.pdf

737 likely voters
MoE: 3.6%

Trump 49%
Biden 43%
Jorgensen 3%
Hawkins 0%
Not sure/don't know 5%

NC
https://filesforprogress.org/memos/2020-...k-3/NC.pdf

1285 likely voters
MoE: 2.7%
Changes with July 24-August 2 poll (not for a partisan sponsor)

Biden 51% (+5)
Trump 44% (n/c)
Jorgensen 2% (n/c)
Hawkins 0% (-1)
Not sure/don't know 3% (-4)

TX
https://filesforprogress.org/memos/2020-...k-3/TX.pdf

1949 likely voters
MoE: 2.2%
Changes with September 15-22 poll (not for a partisan sponsor)

Biden 47% (+2)
Trump 45% (-1)
Jorgensen 2% (not previously included)
Hawkins 1% (not previously included)
Not sure/don't know 5% (-4)

(10-07-2020, 09:13 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

The Black Panthers were roughly comparable with today's Antifa.  They are willing to go violent if the opposition does.  Black Lives Matter is more compatible with Martin Luther King's Civil Rights protest.  Their objective is to protest, not look for an excuse for violence.

The difference is one between tribal thinking and more abstract principle like 'all men are created equal.'  There is no denying the Cavalier culture contains a dash of tribal thinking, and that the Cavalier heirs contributed much to America, as did the Roundheads.  To this day, people can be incredibly stubborn in clinging to one or the other.  Stubborn or principled, depending on whether one is talking about them or us.  Still, Classic calling only one pattern American is rather obtuse even for him.

Do you associate MLK with armed thugs, rioting, looting, destruction of property, using intimidation (physical, emotional, symbolism or mere presence) and violence as a means to persuade people and achieve political goals? I don't but do you? If you don't, why do you view Black Lives Matter as being compatible. You don't seem to understand that there's two sides to Black Lives Matter and all you seem to hear about is the good side and you don't seem to see or hear about the bad side of Black Lives Matter. You're not alone there's a group of basketball team owner's who made the same mistake as you. I've seen both. MLK stuck with his core American principles/values and succeeded because he refused to associate and be associated with radical Left Wing groups like Black Lives Matter.
(10-07-2020, 05:19 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We don't care if you supposedly "know" you are Americans either. And it's very clear that you haven't the slightest idea what "America" means. And we also know that you guys don't think. You just react from herd insti
The fuck we don't, we think for a living while you guys find ways to live off the same group/tribe. It too bad that you you don't know what an American is or what their about or what America means or means to us at this point in your life. You're one of the dumbest people that I've ever met and I've met a lot of people.
(10-07-2020, 08:56 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Do you associate MLK with armed thugs, rioting, looting, destruction of property, using intimidation (physical, emotional, symbolism or mere presence) and violence as a means to persuade people and achieve political goals? I don't but do you? If you don't, why do you view Black Lives Matter as being compatible. You don't seem to understand that there's two sides to Black Lives Matter and all you seem to hear about is the good side and you don't seem to see or hear about the bad side of Black Lives Matter. You're not alone there's a group of basketball team owner's who made the same mistake as you. I've seen both. MLK stuck with his core American principles/values and succeeded because he refused to associate and be associated with radical Left Wing groups like Black Lives Matter.

I don’t.  I have a bunch of motivations which I have repeated ad nausium but which you are determined not to hear.  Black Lives Matter, Antifa, the looters, the Boogaloo Boys all have very different motivations.  You seem determined to confuse them.  More than a few individuals have mixed motivations.  One of the guys arrested recently claimed to be Antifa, a Boogaloo Bois and part of a militia all at once.  All that told me is that should not be pigeon holed, or perhaps the boogaloo can be pushed forward by claiming affiliation with the left and the right.

As an ideologue committed to one side it is prudent for you to confuse your understanding of the situation, to straw man the opposition.  I have similar problems with other conservatives.  They have problems countering real progressive arguments, so they invent fake motivations for imitation progressives and argue against their inventions.  Your own asking of a question that you have asked many times before, that I have answered many times before, is par for the course.  You repeatedly ignore the response and continue to argue with your imagination.  This style of fake argument without listening eats up far too much of the discourse here.

As I remember the time, there were looters and violent racist cops as well as Martin Luther King’s people and Malcom X’s people in the 1960s too.  It wasn’t as simplistic as you try to make it.  Martin Luther King made the lasting change, but not the whole change.  Black Lives Matter will make one more incremental improvement once the people get a chance to speak.  Another round of limiting racism may be required generations hence.

I remember one American Studies class when I was back in high school, the day after a race riot.  It would have been around 1970.  There was a cheerleader table, a jock table, a yearbook staff table, and a misfit table.  The misfits, my table. were the only mixed gender table.  On the day after the race riot, there were two other misfits, both ladies, close friends with each other, who both attended and were part of the riot.  They soon came to dominate the teacher led attempt to talk about the grave division in the country.  Unfortunately, both told with great glee about how much fun they had punching and pulling hair of the people with different skin colors.  As they described it from their participant’s point of view, it was less a horrible thing, more a good time had by all.

Of course, the two were very white and very black.  After the riot, they climbed into the same car and drove home together, exchanging notes gleefully.  The next day they confused the cheerleaders, jocks and yearbook people to no end.

The major lesson learned was not to take too seriously some of the people who carry around supposed racial xenophobia.  They just like to have a good time brawling.  Your love of clucking like a chicken is read the same way.
(10-07-2020, 09:37 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 05:19 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We don't care if you supposedly "know" you are Americans either. And it's very clear that you haven't the slightest idea what "America" means. And we also know that you guys don't think. You just react from herd insti
The fuck we don't, we think for a living while you guys find ways to live off the same group/tribe. It too bad that you you don't know what an American is or what their about  or what America means or means to us at this point in your life. You're one of the dumbest people that I've ever met and I've met a lot of people.

Time to log off the internet. Personal attacks like this aren't ok.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michigan plot, October 2020 pbrower2a 51 13,244 12-28-2022, 05:25 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  2021 general election pbrower2a 3 1,299 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
  GOP Leader Defends Keeping Election Records Secret chairb 0 615 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Election Night 2020 thread pbrower2a 80 20,236 10-14-2021, 01:01 AM
  Presidential election, 2024 pbrower2a 0 802 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM
  Election 2020 Eric the Green 57 35,500 05-26-2021, 11:37 PM
  NJ mailman allegedly tossed 99 election ballots into dumpster Swingline 0 843 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Swingline
  Election Turnout by Generations jleagans 6 3,623 12-21-2020, 01:49 AM
  If Trump loses the next election Mickey123 45 15,538 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM
  2020 Predictions JDG 66 67 23,658 11-05-2020, 10:00 AM