Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(09-20-2016, 01:18 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 01:04 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 11:36 PM)Galen Wrote: Truth is, they were saying much worse things about Generation X and in the case of Eric the Obtuse and those like him they still are. 

Only when deserved. Like all generations, Xers have their good and bad points, in my opinion. Generalizing about generations "always" has its pitfalls. But I would not say that half of Gen Xers are "deplorables."

I'm not a deplorable, but I am (a) quite cynical and pecuniary man. Cool Big Grin Tongue

Yes, typical Gen Xer. Will you be on the Survivor show? Maybe you could be what they call a "villain" like Russell Hantz. Then again, maybe Galen would play the role better.
http://www.therichest.com/expensive-life...-villains/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Hantz

Although some (probably Gen Xers) admire him as one of the greatest players, I am among those (probably Boomers or Millennials) who generally despise him and everything about him. But, it's all part of the game; it brings out the best and worst in the players.

Quote:Some Boomers like Hillary and Trump are clueless clowns.

Yes, Trump is; Bush II was; Bill was not, in most respects; and Hillary is not. In time, that will likely be demonstrated.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Rags Wrote:I'm not a deplorable, but I am (a) quite cynical and pecuniary man. Cool Big Grin Tongue

Eric The Green Wrote:Yes, typical Gen Xer. Will you be on the Survivor show? Maybe you could be what they call a "villain" like Russell Hantz. Then again, maybe Galen would play the role better.

Nope, I got: http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Tina_Wesson
http://www.buddytv.com/personalityquiz/s...iz=1000037

I'm not a "she" of course.

Eric The Green Wrote:Although some (probably Gen Xers) admire him as one of the greatest players, I am among those (probably Boomers or Millennials) who generally despise him and everything about him. But, it's all part of the game; it brings out the best and worst in the players.

Eric The Green Wrote:Yes, Trump is; Bush II was; Bill was not, in most respects; and Hillary is not. In time, that will likely be demonstrated.

Uh, Bill is the one who helped to get rid of Glass Steagal and did the "end welfare as we know" it thing. Hillery can't help herself in looking crooked. I mean, really, why did the DNC do everything to throw the election? Those hot emails are another thing. The stuff goes way back to the 1970's.
Shrub, no doubt clueless.
Trump, also no doubt. Mr. weather vane, probably armed and dangerous. Big Grin

In short, a pox on both parties. The US has totally gone to the dogs. It's really run by the Deep State and multinats, so I'm not even sure if elections even matter any more.
---Value Added Cool
(09-20-2016, 05:11 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: How does a thread start out on the topic of Survivor and end up in a debate about Woodstock?

Easy, man.  Where there are Boomers, you'll find Woodstock. Cool
---Value Added Cool
(09-20-2016, 07:02 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 01:15 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: The other half are ear budded/texting slackers.

Uh, you know you Xers were the original "lazy slackers", right? Tongue

True enough.  However, we were aware of our surroundings due to the lack of the digital distractions of Ipads/cell phones. Tongue
---Value Added Cool
(09-20-2016, 08:22 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 08:06 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 01:15 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: The other half are ear budded/texting slackers.

True enough.  However, we were aware of our surroundings due to the lack of the digital distractions of Ipads/cell phones. Tongue

I hit computer addiction in my 20s, web addiction in my 30s. Not the same as hitting it in childhood but still pretty early in life.

Same here, but I couldn't take my Atari 2600/ PC to work though.
---Value Added Cool
(09-20-2016, 12:27 PM)Galen Wrote: Not really.  On the whole they tended to be non-entities that took the easy path which usually involved doing what the Boomers wanted given the demographics.  Silents tended to be obsessed with process.

Your commitment to rationalizing your Boomer-hating fantasies with nonsensical statements like this on trivializing the Silents and their role in the 2T is sad.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(09-20-2016, 05:11 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: How does a thread start out on the topic of Survivor and end up in a debate about Woodstock?

it got hijacked by the usual Gen-Xers who never miss an opportunity to shit on Boomers.
(09-20-2016, 08:06 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

That's an important advantage for Xers. They have "sharp eyes" according to S&H. In Survivor you can't be texting or referring to your I-pads; you have to deal with what's around you.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-20-2016, 08:01 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Rags Wrote:I'm not a deplorable, but I am (a) quite cynical and pecuniary man. Cool Big Grin Tongue

Eric The Green Wrote:Yes, typical Gen Xer. Will you be on the Survivor show? Maybe you could be what they call a "villain" like Russell Hantz. Then again, maybe Galen would play the role better.

Nope, I got: http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Tina_Wesson
http://www.buddytv.com/personalityquiz/s...iz=1000037

I'm not a "she" of course.

The quiz might be unreliable. It was hard to fit into the four choices many times. Your self-description was more like Russell than Tina, but you might be more like Tina. You'd never know unless you played. But Tina was very respected and quite honest; not "cynical or pecuniary." That would be Russell; he was and is those things on steroids. He's a creepy Texas oil man. Very typical of the worst Xer traits, including in the way he looks and talks.

I got Stephanie LaGrossa. I don't remember her.
[Image: survivor-lagrossa.jpg]

Quote:
Eric The Green Wrote:Although some (probably Gen Xers) admire him as one of the greatest players, I am among those (probably Boomers or Millennials) who generally despise him and everything about him. But, it's all part of the game; it brings out the best and worst in the players.

Eric The Green Wrote:Yes, Trump is; Bush II was; Bill was not, in most respects; and Hillary is not. In time, that will likely be demonstrated.

Uh, Bill is the one who helped to get rid of Glass Steagal and did the "end welfare as we know" it thing. Hillery can't help herself in looking crooked. I mean, really, why did the DNC do everything to throw the election? Those hot emails are another thing. The stuff goes way back to the 1970's.
Shrub, no doubt clueless.
Trump, also no doubt. Mr. weather vane, probably armed and dangerous. Big Grin

There has never been a president who has not made wrong decisions. That is nothing new. A president who makes mistakes on the level of Bill Clinton is the norm, not the exception. He also did a lot of things right; that has been reviewed before here. It's up to you and others to pay attention.

There are no hot emails; there was no thrown election. All that is Republican (and leftist) flim-flam.

Quote:In short, a pox on both parties. The US has totally gone to the dogs. It's really run by the Deep State and multinats, so I'm not even sure if elections even matter any more.

Both parties are infected with a lot of pox; one far more than the other, however. Of course you know my opinion Smile Elections matter; the people make the choice, even if powerful media and multinats can lobby and advertise more than the people can. It's still up to the people to get informed and vote intelligently. If we don't, or stay home and fume, that is OUR fault, and no-one else's. If we don't stay active all year around, and let our leaders off the hook, that is OUR fault. We the people put stupid, corrupt Republicans in congress in 2010 and 2014. No-one but US did that evil deed. We the people voted twice for the shrub. That is our responsibility. Even if there was cheating in 2000, George got enough votes to make it close enough to cheat it. "We're the slaves of the phony leaders," as Pete Townshend said. It's up to us not to be fooled again and again and again.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-21-2016, 07:00 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 12:27 PM)Galen Wrote: Not really.  On the whole they tended to be non-entities that took the easy path which usually involved doing what the Boomers wanted given the demographics.  Silents tended to be obsessed with process.

Your commitment to rationalizing your Boomer-hating fantasies with nonsensical statements like this on trivializing the Silents and their role in the 2T is sad.

They deserve to be shit on given their idiocy.  You also missed about a decade and a half of watching them study everything to death without doing anything.  This is where the stereotype of the politician paralyzed by indecision comes from.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-21-2016, 01:03 PM)Galen Wrote:

They deserve to be shit on given their idiocy.  You also missed about a decade and a half of watching them study everything to death without doing anything.  This is where the stereotype of the politician paralyzed by indecision comes from.

All generations are bad except yours, Galen. All except the one that S&H themselves labelled "bad" at least in youth. The generation called "reactive" (which is almost a term of insult).

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Nothing too surprising in the first episode. Those kids don't look like they could survive a night in their backyard, much less a tropical storm on Fiji.................
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(09-20-2016, 01:01 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Weren't the Seventies dominated by the Silents?

Yes they were, in so far as the people in middle age dominate a turning.

So then, the Boomers dominated the "greed is good" Eighties and the "unravelling" of economic policies that protected the middle class and working poor in the 3T?  Who is really the "pecuniary" generation, then?
(09-21-2016, 02:38 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 02:31 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 01:03 PM)Galen Wrote:

All generations are bad except yours, Galen. All except the one that S&H themselves labelled "bad" at least in youth. The generation called "reactive" (which is almost a term of insult).
Well that is a surprise given your past comments on their culture. But a nice change. Except I would say all have their positives and negatives.

I suspect Eric is being sarcastic.
(09-21-2016, 09:39 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Weren't the Seventies dominated by the Silents?

So then, the Boomers dominated the "greed is good" Eighties and the "unravelling" of economic policies that protected the middle class and working poor in the 3T?  Who is really the "pecuniary" generation, then?

It can get really complicated trying to blame one generation for things that three or four generations did, can't it?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-21-2016, 09:09 PM)Bronsin Wrote: Nothing too surprising in the first episode. Those kids don't look like they could survive a night in their backyard, much less a tropical storm on Fiji.................

Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage. The Gen Xers needed to be more fit and smart than average to beat the young bucks. But they did not seem like an impressive group at all to me. Usually the older players who do well are a lot more fit than these 10 players, and more attractive and deft socially too. One of them even went on and on about how he would probably be voted out. I guess a bit of Gen X pessimism. So the Millennials won the challenge, and an Xer girl went home. I suspect that will mostly continue.

What was impressive is that Survivor mostly got the dates right, from an S&H point of view. The Xers birthdays didn't start in 1965, the demographic start year, but 1963, and extended well beyond the usual 1977 date to 1982, which S&H consider the first millennial year. The Millennials date from 1984 to 1997; the youngest player was still in high school. Maybe Probst and Company have read The Fourth Turning or Generations.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Eric The Green Wrote:Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.   Just wait until the night of the long knives, man. Big Grin

Quote:The Gen Xers needed to be more fit and smart than average to beat the young bucks. But they did not seem like an impressive group at all to me. Usually the older players who do well are a lot more fit than these 10 players, and more attractive and deft socially too. One of them even went on and on about how he would probably be voted out. I guess a bit of Gen X pessimism. So the Millennials won the challenge, and an Xer girl went home. I suspect that will mostly continue.

I don't have Teevee, so I don't know what any of them look like. Again, past performance doesn't guarantee future results. That show must be like the stawk market. *Hmmmm.... Probst needs to open up a gambling side business.  Take bets on who wins, who gets voted off first, some horse race things like trifectas, etc. Cool

Quote:What was impressive is that Survivor mostly got the dates right, from an S&H point of view. The Xers birthdays didn't start in 1965, the demographic start year, but 1963, and extended well beyond the usual 1977 date to 1982, which S&H consider the first millennial year. The Millennials date from 1984 to 1997; the youngest player was still in high school. Maybe Probst and Company have read The Fourth Turning or Generations.

Close enough for government work or cuspie stuffs.

*Rags the visionary pecuniary : Even Boomer Trump hasn't come up with a betting parlor featuring Survivor, man. Big Grin
I should crowdfund this thing , it will be Yuuuuggeee.

They Survivor contestants did it for the money. Cool
---Value Added Cool
(09-21-2016, 11:29 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 07:02 AM)Odin Wrote:

it got hijacked by the usual Gen-Xers who never miss an opportunity to shit on Boomers.

Sad thing about it is, it's typically the Red Xers who behave thus. They don't realize they are just being puppets of the Red Boomers who have dominated the Faux "Right" attack dog industry since the 1980s. I know this well, as I used to be one of them. Now I am free. Who do I thank for helping me to become free? The Millennials.

The extreme anti-government attitudes of people like Galen are an outgrowth of the very Awakening they claim to despise. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.
(09-22-2016, 12:47 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 09:39 PM)gabrielle Wrote:

It can get really complicated trying to blame one generation for things that three or four generations did, can't it?

It is as ridiculous for Galen to scapegoat an entire generation for all the ills of the world as it is for a Baby Boomer to call Generation X "pecuniary," when Gen X, of all current generations, has the most financial stress and Baby Boomers are the richest generation in US history.
(09-22-2016, 01:49 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Eric The Green Wrote:Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.   Just wait until the night of the long knives, man. Big Grin

Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Singers > Boomers, Xers and Millennials JasonBlack 11 1,748 06-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack