Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millennials Becoming Old Farts
We're now starting to wind down 2017, 2018 is just around the corner.

At least a quarter of the Millennials are now 30somethings. I think the Millie Gen are front loaded in terms of birth rate vs year, so the ones born during the early to mid 80s are over represented. So it's probably even more than a quarter.

Before you know it, it will be 2032. The ... big ......... 5 ........ 0 ...   for 1982 cohorts! That's a mere 14 years from 01-JAN-18.

I'm doing a project right now with one of my favorite Millies.

He's getting pretty gray. Granted, gray as a guy in his early 30s is premature gray. But ... gray is gray. I bet people are already calling him "sir" .... Haha!

I'm seeing more and more Millie uber-moms. Some of them are even driving vans. Chips off the old block.

Wink

I had a friend whose hair was completely white by the age of 30. It happens.

I think Millennials have fully embraced the "Bobo" life as described by David Brooks - simultaneously a savvy hipster and a conventional suburbanite. Driving the kids in a minivan but also having an arm-sleeve tattoo. It's the new normal.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
In a bit more than a year it will be the decade of the '20s. Shock! My experience has been that decades get larger in number: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s.... It is also a shock that the most vibrant part of the Awakening-the '60s-was half a century ago.
I started getting gray hairs when I was sixteen. I just turned 63, and i got news from my physician that I could live into my nineties.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(12-22-2018, 11:21 AM)sbarrera Wrote: I think Millennials have fully embraced the "Bobo" life as described by David Brooks - simultaneously a savvy hipster and a conventional suburbanite. Driving the kids in a minivan but also having an arm-sleeve tattoo. It's the new normal.

Also, being a parent is now fashionable. Maturity is fashionable (including growing a beard). And I remember the cult of youth.
(01-22-2019, 01:12 AM)taramarie Wrote: I started getting snow white hairs when in my mid 20s. Mum says it is just because i have dark hair that it is more visible. I call bs, they are multiplying. I will not be dying my hair though. I would rather just let it happen and take care of my hair. The white is really nice and ive seen pictures of women my age really rocking it.

When I was in high school, the mother of one of my friends was already snow white.  My best guess: she was 40 +/- a year or two.  Without letting this drift too far, she was very attractive.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-23-2019, 10:29 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 01:39 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 01:12 AM)taramarie Wrote: I started getting snow white hairs when in my mid 20s. Mum says it is just because i have dark hair that it is more visible. I call bs, they are multiplying. I will not be dying my hair though. I would rather just let it happen and take care of my hair. The white is really nice and ive seen pictures of women my age really rocking it.

When I was in high school, the mother of one of my friends was already snow white.  My best guess: she was 40 +/- a year or two.  Without letting this drift too far, she was very attractive.

Nice. Yeah i think i could rock the platinum colour. It is a very nice pure snow white. Still getting majority dark auburn hair but the white keeps multiplying. I used to yank the stray white hairs. Now i just gave up and accepted, this is me. It is very early, but whatever. It is me. Best to accept it and rock it. My boomer mother dyes her hair. I guess i am rebelling against doing that.

I prefer your version of "dealing with it", but I'm a guy.  Demands on guys are a lot less.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Before the French Revolution, even young noblermen (and -women, think Marie Antoinette) liked to wear grey and white wigs, pretending they had wisdom when they didn't.
I believe that Millennials have a long ways to go before even coming close to Old Fart territory. Boomers wanted to remain forever young as well, and one of their landmark songs during youth indeed had the punch line "Hope I die before I grow old". There has not been any similar anthem in the Millennial gen that I am aware of.

One question that definitely should be asked is this: Will the Millennials be as successful as Boomers were in using their sheer force of numbers to be able to set social, political and economic trends in the country and society. Boomers really thought they would remain the dominant gen for the entirety of their lives, but now tend to in many ways find themselves on the outside looking in. But Millennials didn't seem to have the obsession with toppling the Boomer-led establishment the way Boomers fought to topple the GI-led establishment.
(07-08-2019, 08:17 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: I believe that Millennials have a long ways to go before even coming close to Old Fart territory.  Boomers wanted to remain forever young as well, and one of their landmark songs during youth indeed had the punch line "Hope I die before I grow old". There has not been any similar anthem in the Millennial gen that I am aware of.

One question that definitely should be asked is this: Will the Millennials be as successful as Boomers were in using their sheer force of numbers to be able to set social, political and economic trends in the country and society. Boomers really thought they would remain the dominant gen for the entirety of their lives, but now tend to in many ways find themselves on the outside looking in. But Millennials didn't seem to have the obsession with toppling the Boomer-led establishment the way Boomers fought to topple the GI-led establishment.

So that is when that habit died out!
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I started getting white hairs when I was sixteen. Mercifully that is not a sign of premature aging.

(07-08-2019, 08:17 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: I believe that Millennials have a long ways to go before even coming close to Old Fart territory. Boomers wanted to remain forever young as well, and one of their landmark songs during youth indeed had the punch line "Hope I die before I grow old". There has not been any similar anthem in the Millennial gen that I am aware of.

I don't feel any loyalty to a generation. I just care about policies that I believe in or policies that help me. I don't have this group consciousness at all. If I'm the only one supporting something I'll support it myself even if millions disagree. This whole generation loyalty seems weird to me.
(01-22-2019, 05:26 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 11:21 AM)sbarrera Wrote: I think Millennials have fully embraced the "Bobo" life as described by David Brooks - simultaneously a savvy hipster and a conventional suburbanite. Driving the kids in a minivan but also having an arm-sleeve tattoo. It's the new normal.

Also, being a parent is now fashionable. Maturity is fashionable (including growing a beard). And I remember the cult of youth.

Actually youth is even more in. Anime, comics, Pokémon, cartoons, children's toys and collections, video games, and being childfree are major trends right now. Maybe I'm biased though because a lot of these people are first wave Millennials in software engineering/STEM fields who tend to have a lot of opposite views politically from the average Millennial.
(07-08-2019, 08:17 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: But Millennials didn't seem to have the obsession with toppling the Boomer-led establishment the way Boomers fought to topple the GI-led establishment.

Civic generations typically respect their prophetic parents. Gen X would be more likely to topple the Boomer establishment, but they aren't numerous enough.
(07-09-2019, 05:06 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:17 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: But Millennials didn't seem to have the obsession with toppling the Boomer-led establishment the way Boomers fought to topple the GI-led establishment.

Civic generations typically respect their prophetic parents. Gen X would be more likely to topple the Boomer establishment, but they aren't numerous enough.

Online I see Millennials always complaining about the way their parents do things. I don't think this is exactly accurate.
(07-09-2019, 05:08 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: Online I see Millennials always complaining about the way their parents do things. I don't think this is exactly accurate.

Yet they don't rebel the way boomers and Xers did.
(07-09-2019, 05:11 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 05:08 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: Online I see Millennials always complaining about the way their parents do things. I don't think this is exactly accurate.

What exactly do you consider rebelling? My attitude is I can opt out of anything I don't personally like. I don't need to rebel against the music scene because I have the internet for example to search for whatever I want. My attitude is also to either show me respect or I will be extremely belligerent and immature. If I don't like a culture I withdraw from it and save myself while the others drown and then kick and scream when someone wants to force me to face it. What generational attitude do I have?
(07-09-2019, 05:22 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 05:11 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

What exactly do you consider rebelling?

From Wikipedia:
The youth of the 2010s were called the "best-behaved generation on record." In May 2014, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported that teenage pregnancies and their uses of drugs and alcohol reached record lows.[600] A 2013 survey showed that the rate of teen smoking dropped to 15.7%, the rate of teenagers having unprotected sex dropped to 34% and the rate of teenagers participating in a physical fight dropped to 25%, much lower than their counterparts 22 years earlier.

Speaking about political attitudes, millennials seem to prefer security to freedom. Their demand is "safe spaces", both emotionally and physically.

Quote:My attitude is I can opt out of anything I don't personally like. I don't need to rebel against the music scene because I have the internet for example to search for whatever I want. My attitude is also to either show me respect or I will be extremely belligerent and immature. If I don't like a culture I withdraw from it and save myself while the others drown and then kick and scream when someone wants to force me to face it. What generational attitude do I have?

Artistic, like the Silent generation. Of course, you have all sorts of people in all generations, just in different proportions.
(07-09-2019, 05:26 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
Quote:My attitude is I can opt out of anything I don't personally like. I don't need to rebel against the music scene because I have the internet for example to search for whatever I want. My attitude is also to either show me respect or I will be extremely belligerent and immature. If I don't like a culture I withdraw from it and save myself while the others drown and then kick and scream when someone wants to force me to face it. What generational attitude do I have?

Artistic, like the Silent generation. Of course, you have all sorts of people in all generations, just in different proportions.

Silents were never, ever belligerent, at least not the ones that survived the crisis.  Silents were deferential to GIs and presumably to older generations; they were considerate to each other even when disagreeing and were kind to younger generations.  They did make out like bandits economically, but that wasn't due to belligerence. Nor have I seen new adaptives being belligerent, though they often do their own thing with older generations none the wiser.
(07-09-2019, 01:54 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 05:26 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

Silents were never, ever belligerent, at least not the ones that survived the crisis.  Silents were deferential to GIs and presumably to older generations; they were considerate to each other even when disagreeing and were kind to younger generations.  They did make out like bandits economically, but that wasn't due to belligerence. Nor have I seen new adaptives being belligerent, though they often do their own thing with older generations none the wiser.

His belligerence is more of a prophetic trait, though he said he behaves like that only when provoked. A Prophet seeks provocation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare/Contrast of Millennials and GIs JasonBlack 9 1,884 10-15-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Are Millennials Cemented as Civics/Heroes Yet? Anthony '58 41 11,786 03-20-2022, 08:24 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  Do millennials have a closet fascination with masculinity? JasonBlack 6 1,890 03-19-2022, 08:09 AM
  Millennials blaming Boomers for everything going wrong Eric the Green 6 2,796 02-23-2022, 10:33 PM
  Millennials are the Scapegoat of everything going wrong. When will this stop? AspieMillennial 9 6,599 02-10-2022, 12:24 AM
  Are Safe Spaces for Religious Millennials Justified? AspieMillennial 39 16,322 10-18-2021, 01:35 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  A values consensus from Millennials? sbarrera 46 17,920 08-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Millennials when old Blazkovitz 55 31,081 07-06-2021, 10:50 AM
Last Post: nguyenivy
  Estimating who belongs in S&H's Millennials (not mainstream Millennials) Ghost 23 9,991 06-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Tim Randal Walker
  What made millennials trust technology? Bill the Piper 12 7,355 10-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund