Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
(06-19-2020, 04:56 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Just to remind us all -- Dame Vera Lynn, who made endearing renditions of "We'll Meet Again" for adults and the lullaby for scared children, "The White Cliffs of Dover" that gave hope and humanity to people during the Blitz, has passed away at the age 103.

Certainly memorable for those of us who enjoyed Dr. Strangelove (1964).

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Something from 1927, and I thought it was older: the well-known Beer Barrel Polka:

One of the best-known, persistent, and widely-known pop tunes ever, it is from the old Czechoslovakia in 1927. It has spread world-wide, a process hastened by the large number of Czechs who fled the Nazi takeover. They brought this polka with them, and seemingly every country adopted it as if it were their own. No direct translation... for a small country, the Czechs have a great musical heritage. 

I wish I had learned a Slavic language so that I could make something out of it. 

It's newer than I thought: I had thought that it was a folk-tune.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(06-25-2021, 12:27 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Something from 1927, and I thought it was older: the well-known Beer Barrel Polka:

One of the best-known, persistent, and widely-known pop tunes ever, it is from the old Czechoslovakia in 1927. It has spread world-wide, a process hastened by the large number of Czechs who fled the Nazi takeover. They brought this polka with them, and seemingly every country adopted it as if it were their own. No direct translation... for a small country, the Czechs have a great musical heritage. 

I wish I had learned a Slavic language so that I could make something out of it. 

It's newer than I thought: I had thought that it was a folk-tune.

Here's one translation: https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/will-gl...the-barrel
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,648 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 268,442 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green