Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Partisan Divide on Issues
(12-05-2019, 09:43 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 06:25 PM)David Horn Wrote: The anti-Trump energy in the Democratic Party isn't going to be vanquished by some lame internal battle.  It just won't.  Now, the battle for the army of independent voters is another story.  Who knows how that will play.  It's already in FOAK territory, so bizarre is possible.  Setting bizarre aside, it's hard to see anyone looking at obvious illegal activity, and just ignoring it.  Republicans will swallow hard and back Trump anyway.  Democrats will be out in force to do the opposite.  That leaves the mushy middle to decide, and a well presented impeachment case followed by a party line vote to acquit should tip the balance against Trump decisively.  Should, but bizarre is still out there somewhere.

I think the Republican Senate is licking its chops and preparing to counter the liberal trial with liberal rules in the House with a good old fashioned American court trial with American rules and an American judge. Nope, the anti Trump, anti conservative, anti Republican, anti American, anti social conservative, anti law enforcement energy in the Democratic party isn't going to be vanquished by a trivial internal dispute alone as you say, it's going to be shutdown by those who have seen enough of the liberal bullshit and the liberal games and vote to have the Republican party shut them down and essentially place them on ignore so that some more important American related stuff can be accomplished and properly funded.

Look at the facts of the case and tell me how anyone can give this guy a pass without looking like a sock puppet?  He did a lot of this in public, right in front of the national press -- video cameras rolling.  What went on behind the scenes has either emerged through the valor of military and civil servants testifying at their own risk, or is part of the stonewalling that will eventually be addressed by the SCOTUS.  This already looks really bad.  It's going to look a lot worse before it's through.

But for sake of argument, let's say that the Trumpists manage to get their boy reelected.  I seriously doubt that this will be with an all GOP Congress, and the knives will then be out in earnest.   The vitriol will be at an all time high.  If the Senate falls to the Dems, no one appointment will be approved.  If the House remains with the Dems, assume the funding for anything Trump will be zero.  I'm certain that Trump will be Trump, and may get impeached a second time … and a third, if necessary.  If short, no one gets out of that scenario intact.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-04-2019, 10:22 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: What? Absolute number no longer matters to the liberals anymore. What are the liberals going to do when Trump gets the majority of the vote in 2020, wins  the majority of the electoral college again, regains the majority of the House, strengthens the majority of the Senate and has the majority of the Supreme Court and the right to pick them too? Right now, I'd say that those unpleasant realities for liberals are more likely going to happen at this point. Are you going to support liberal revolts/riots and support liberal movements to secede from the Union at that point?

Since you've moved to Fantasyland, here's the perfect ode:
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
Your dreams come true!

… or not!
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-05-2019, 10:43 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: At this point I expect the Republican Senate majority to quash an impeachment trial quickly with a swift vote before hearing any testimony or evidence. Mitch McConnell will establish the rules, and I expect the Republican majority to go along with him.  The American public will get two diametric cases: the carefully-enumerated case against the President that deprecates him with much derogatory testimony and evidence and a quick dismissal close to party lines. Republicans will stand for this President. 

In the general election, House evidence and testimony will be used against the President... and against Senate Republicans seeking re-election. I will not predict individual races at this point, but being connected to bad behavior of the President could be political suicide.
Dude, that's not going to happen. The Republicans aren't foolish enough to do something stupid like that at this point. The Republican base wants to see a real American trial take place in the Senate.
(Yesterday, 02:18 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 10:43 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: At this point I expect the Republican Senate majority to quash an impeachment trial quickly with a swift vote before hearing any testimony or evidence. Mitch McConnell will establish the rules, and I expect the Republican majority to go along with him.  The American public will get two diametric cases: the carefully-enumerated case against the President that deprecates him with much derogatory testimony and evidence and a quick dismissal close to party lines. Republicans will stand for this President. 

In the general election, House evidence and testimony will be used against the President... and against Senate Republicans seeking re-election. I will not predict individual races at this point, but being connected to bad behavior of the President could be political suicide.
Dude, that's not going to happen. The Republicans aren't foolish enough to do something stupid like that at this point. The Republican base wants to see a real American trial take place in the Senate.

Do they? I expect a swift attempt to cover up the misconduct of the President.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(Yesterday, 01:41 PM)David Horn Wrote: Look at the facts of the case and tell me how anyone can give this guy a pass without looking like a sock puppet?  He did a lot of this in public, right in front of the national press -- video cameras rolling.  What went on behind the scenes has either emerged through the valor of military and civil servants testifying at their own risk, or is part of the stonewalling that will eventually be addressed by the SCOTUS.  This already looks really bad.  It's going to look a lot worse before it's through.

But for sake of argument, let's say that the Trumpists manage to get their boy reelected.  I seriously doubt that this will be with an all GOP Congress, and the knives will then be out in earnest.   The vitriol will be at an all time high.  If the Senate falls to the Dems, no one appointment will be approved.  If the House remains with the Dems, assume the funding for anything Trump will be zero.  I'm certain that Trump will be Trump, and may get impeached a second time … and a third, if necessary.  If short, no one gets out of that scenario intact.
I'd say that most Americans understand that Hilary had a bigger legal problem that didn't stop her from winning the popular vote. Did you vote for Hilary Clinton despite hearing all the stuff that occurred with her illegal server, the destruction of evidence and tampering with evidence, her husband Bill's inconspicuous meeting with Obama's Attorney General  on some tar mac between flights, James Comey making crucial judgements and decisions pertaining her case that he didn't have the legal authority to do and so forth? What, were you deaf and  blind or in a vegetative state of mind while all of that stuff was going on and being revealed as true.

Well, if none that mattered enough to you, why should what Trump did matter enough to me. Me, I have a fairly high sense of common decency but I don't let it get in the way during battles with liberals. I call tell that most liberals aren't used to people who are able to read, adapt and counter liberals with equal kind until they either capitulate or they've been reduced to clinging to the one decent thing that anyone would recognize as a decent thing or simply disappear or opt the protect themselves and their sensitive ego's by placing me on ignore.
(11 hours ago)pbrower2a Wrote:
(Yesterday, 02:18 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

Do they? I expect a swift attempt to cover up the misconduct of the President.
You are going to be disappointed.  You may not be aware of this but the liberal Democrats in the House did what they did with healthcare and used their power to completely remove the Republican from the process again. The last time the liberal Democrats did that, Nancy Pelosi was replaced by a Republican. History tends to repeat itself when people are incapable of learning from past mistakes. Right now, I'm glad that I'm not the one with the representatives in Washington who people are reliant upon who seem to be functioning in a perpetual state of denial. Whatever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Supreme Court Will Examine Partisan Gerrymandering in 2017 gabrielle 4 1,368 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 62 21,595 11-11-2016, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Galen