Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If The Russians Engineered a Trump Victory
(10-08-2016, 09:12 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 06:39 PM)Odin Wrote: Given how Southerners seem to think it's the end of the world when they get an inch of snow they probably wouldn't survive a winter over there! Big Grin

http://www.newson6.com/story/16631438/re...zzard-2011

Huh?  We have it all, man.  Heat waves, blizzards, earthquakes, and tornadoes.

You may have it all, but I'm dubious about southerners handling it all.  I was in the Washington DC area when it was hit with a whopping 1/2 inch of snow.  The locals could so obviously not handle it that I prudently decided to drive straight to my apartment rather than to stop at a restaurant on the way home.  Walking seemed safer than driving.  My apartment was immediately adjacent to a shopping mall which contained my destination eating place.  Walking back after my meal I passed four accidents in about a quarter mile...

OK.  So I'm a New Englander.  I don't have experience with earthquakes.  So sue me...
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(10-08-2016, 09:05 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Is this what you mean by "too many fiddles"?

(Tchaikovsky, Serenade for String Orchestra)

You didn't hear me. Don't include the http:// at the end of the url. Look at your post and delete that. I don't know how it gets there.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-08-2016, 09:05 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Is this what you mean by "too many fiddles"? (Tchaikovsky, Serenade for String Orchestra)

A classic example. Too many fiddles, not a single slide guitar or harmonica, little percussion, and they are all playing on key.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(10-08-2016, 09:38 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 06:39 PM)Odin Wrote: Given how Southerners seem to think it's the end of the world when they get an inch of snow they probably wouldn't survive a winter over there! Big Grin

You may have it all, but I'm dubious about southerners handling it all.  I was in the Washington DC area when it was hit with a whopping 1/2 inch of snow.  The locals could so obviously not handle it that I prudently decided to drive straight to my apartment rather than to stop at a restaurant on the way home.  Walking seemed safer than driving.  My apartment was immediately adjacent to a shopping mall which contained my destination eating place.  Walking back after my meal I passed four accidents in about a quarter mile...

OK.  So I'm a New Englander.  I don't have experience with earthquakes.  So sue me...
To be fair, in the south (including Washington DC), heavy snow is rare enough that local governments don't invest in the type of snow removal equipment that New Englanders have. Plus, when we do have snow, since our winter temperature so often hovers around the freezing mark, you get a cycle of melt than freeze that can make even a trivial snowfall amount highly treacherous. I experienced that last January, driving back from Southern Maryland to Arlington, VA. It was not the big 2 foot blizzard we had later that month; this was no more than an inch or two, but very very slippery and treacherous, especially on untreated roads.
(10-08-2016, 09:38 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: You may have it all, but I'm dubious about southerners handling it all.  I was in the Washington DC area when it was hit with a whopping 1/2 inch of snow.  The locals could so obviously not handle it that I prudently decided to drive straight to my apartment rather than to stop at a restaurant on the way home.  Walking seemed safer than driving.  My apartment was immediately adjacent to a shopping mall which contained my destination eating place.  Walking back after my meal I passed four accidents in about a quarter mile...

I remember when the East Coast had the "Snowpocalypse" and DC pretty much shut down for what here in Fargo would just be ordinary winter weather. Big Grin
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(10-09-2016, 05:11 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 09:38 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

To be fair, in the south (including Washington DC), heavy snow is rare enough that local governments don't invest in the type of snow removal equipment that New Englanders have.  Plus, when we do have snow, since our winter temperature so often hovers around the freezing mark, you get a cycle of melt than freeze that can make even a trivial snowfall amount highly treacherous.  I experienced that last January, driving back from Southern Maryland to Arlington, VA.  It was not the big 2 foot blizzard we had later that month; this was no more than an inch or two, but very very slippery and treacherous, especially on untreated roads.

The ignorance about ice cycling above/below the freezing mark comes from the same place as those wondering how a mere 95 degrees can be anything but nothing when Arizona is generally in the 100s and people play tennis (i.e., they've never truly experienced 100% humidity).  For those with experience, a true ice storm or snow cycling is not measured by number of car accidents but by the number of broken wrists among those too inexperience to know you don't ever try to walk, or even stand, on that shXt.

It's also kind of funny people comparing lily White relatively underpopulated areas to one of the most diverse urban areas in America that includes a lot of people that have never seen a snowflake but can sure sign up as Uber drivers and the like.   One may consider themselves as the best icy road driver ever but that's small comfort when a big SUV is sliding into you from oncoming traffic.

You DCer's just need to get a decent subway system.  Tongue
This is not funny -

DEAR DONALD TRUMP AND VLADIMIR PUTIN, I AM NOT SIDNEY BLUMENTHAL

Essentially, a Newsweek reporter has busted the Kremlin's idiotic attempt at making a Blumenthal email's mention of the reporter's article into his confirming that Benghazi was Clinton's fault  - you know, the secret email that would expose Clinton's culpability and cover-up.

Having not only their hacking but their sheer idiocy revealed, the Kremlin took down the page.

BUT what is really interesting, if not scary and maddening, is Donald Trump is using the Kremlin's hit piece in the debate before it was published on the Internet as well as in his speeches over the last couple days even after it was taken down by the Kremlin.  

How the F, and from whom, did he get this before it was put up on the Internet?

Trump will do anything to get elected, even becoming a traitor.  Those who support him, knowing this, can only be considered the same.
How can anyone now vote for Donald Trump? His sexual mores are on the level of an alley cat. He kisses up to a dictator. He refuses to acknowledge that he can lose fair-and-square. His claim to competence is his business acumen, and he has the simplest model in existence (exploit a scarcity without a solution). He brags about not paying taxes, either admitting that he makes no profit (and is thus a poor businessman) or he is a crook. He has many failures (Trump Vodka, Trump Steaks, and Trump University) that have gone bad.

He has proved that being a crony capitalist is no way to prove ability to run a country.

I would not be surprised to find that he has connections to organized crime.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-21-2016, 03:02 AM)taramarie Wrote: Odin likes to brag that his area is so tough regarding snow level handling capabilities. It is called bragging or compensation or superiority complex.

It's called joking around, Tara! Tongue
(10-20-2016, 08:27 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: How can anyone now vote for Donald Trump? His sexual mores are on the level of an alley cat. 
I'm not sure that's being fair to alley cats.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-21-2016, 02:32 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 06:37 AM)Odin Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 03:02 AM)taramarie Wrote: Odin likes to brag that his area is so tough regarding snow level handling capabilities. It is called bragging or compensation or superiority complex.

It's called joking around, Tara! Tongue

Well no one here appeared to think it was funny given their responses so it is a one sided joke. So not a very good one. No one finds it funny but you. I like the kind of jokes that are mutual. I do not joke around that we get more/stronger earthquakes than other places because the earthquakes are deadly and should be respected. People who freak out over smaller ones may not be used to it and therefore may not be prepared for it mentally or physically/survival kit/infrastructure if it does not happen often. For us it is a way of life. For others, not so much. I hope you understand that while poking fun at people who do not seem to share your fun. I think in this case it is more bragging and laughing at people rather than laughing with them. Something likewise I could never do in my case with our earthquakes.

Here in the US poking fun at other regions of the county is a national pastime, nothing malicious is intended.

Reminds me of a College Football game a few years ago. Wisconsin was in a Bowl game against TCU in Miami, and everyone in the crowd was wearing all the clothes they could pile on, and it was only something like 55 degrees. The Florida residents took alot of "heat" for that one! LOL
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
We are stuck with the equivalent of a strange four-year-to-life incarceration unless we either emigrate or commit suicide. We must simply work for the Master Class that will turn us into serfs and consider such the most wonderful thing that could ever happen to us.

In a way I would prefer prison except for the company -- at least no prisoner is obliged to claim that he loves suffering in the prison.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-11-2016, 03:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: We are stuck with the equivalent of a strange four-year-to-life incarceration unless we either emigrate or commit suicide. We must simply work for the Master Class that will turn us into serfs and consider such the most wonderful thing that could ever happen to us.

In a way I would prefer prison except for the company -- at least no prisoner is obliged to claim that he loves suffering in the prison.

But emigration, if it occurs on a large enough scale, guarantees that the right remains in power in America essentially forever.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(11-12-2016, 11:56 AM)Anthony Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 03:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: We are stuck with the equivalent of a strange four-year-to-life incarceration unless we either emigrate or commit suicide. We must simply work for the Master Class that will turn us into serfs and consider such the most wonderful thing that could ever happen to us.

But emigration, if it occurs on a large enough scale, guarantees that the right remains in power in America essentially forever.

No -- until the Right does something really stupid like picking a war with a major power like Japan that has shot past America in technology and is prosperous enough to have solved the needs of its people.

For those that I leave behind -- my sympathy. I cannot save the world.

...One of the most reliable divides between Right and Left in history is that creditors are on the Right, and debtors are on the Left. The big creditors are such people as employers who have their workers on debt-bondage... and those owners are among the most reactionary people ever known. Smaller-scale creditors might be those who have amassed a small savings account or bought an insurance policy or two as a back-up, but these small-scale creditors at the least recognize the need for an economy vibrant enough to keep people from having to sell off assets to survive in hard times.  Few debtors are really large, except for governments... but even those who have severe debts for their tiny incomes, like those who are the debt-bonded workers, have no stake in the system. Those in hock up to their necks surely want an overheated economy and inflation to alleviate their debt.

Eventually the helpless turn on their masters in the wake of a military disaster, crop failure, or natural disaster. Global warming is a real threat, and one can expect it to cause crops to fail. Consider the Corn Belt: it needs winter blizzards to create a shield against evaporation, and then melt to supply water to germinating seeds.

But of course, global warming is a complete hoax in the Christian and Corporate State. Crop failures will not be.

(11-14-2016, 12:32 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 09:01 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 11:56 AM)Anthony Wrote:

No -- until the Right does something really stupid like picking a war with a major power like Japan that has shot past America in technology and is prosperous enough to have solved the needs of its people.

For those that I leave behind -- my sympathy. I cannot save the world.

...One of the most reliable divides between Right and Left in history is that creditors are on the Right, and debtors are on the Left. The big creditors are such people as employers who have their workers on debt-bondage... and those owners are among the most reactionary people ever known. Smaller-scale creditors might be those who have amassed a small savings account or bought an insurance policy or two as a back-up, but these small-scale creditors at the least recognize the need for an economy vibrant enough to keep people from having to sell off assets to survive in hard times.  Few debtors are really large, except for governments... but even those who have severe debts for their tiny incomes, like those who are the debt-bonded workers, have no stake in the system. Those in hock up to their necks surely want an overheated economy and inflation to alleviate their debt.

Eventually the helpless turn on their masters in the wake of a military disaster, crop failure, or natural disaster. Global warming is a real threat, and one can expect it to cause crops to fail. Consider the Corn Belt: it needs winter blizzards to create a shield against evaporation, and then melt to supply water to germinating seeds.

But of course, global warming is a complete hoax in the Christian and Corporate State. Crop failures will not be.

Technically, via investments, I am a creditor. I am nominally on the Right. However I do not relish making money from good, hard working people, who are smart about debt. Meanwhile, I don't mind making money from the guy who I saw, driving a crew cab with a boat hauling rig. His license plate "LIV4NOW." That guy has dug his own hole. I don't mind profiting from him.

Now there's a schmuck!

Emigration may help the right-wing in America, no doubt. You have a point Anthony.

The alternative is that other nations may get a bit bigger and more liberal. Canada will be a sanctuary of sanity. Perhaps enough to stop the oil sands?

Secession is an option for dark blue states like CA, and that might be another possible destination for disillusioned folks like brower. Don't commit suicide, brower. Come back to CA. We have ways and means of making life not as bad as in Michigrim. It's more expensive here, but there are less-expensive pockets. If we get blue enough, we can regulate housing and provide more of it. We just passed a low-income housing bond in Santa Clara County in fact. Our state was more Democratic than any state in the USA except Hawaii, and even that only by a little bit; with lots of votes still uncounted. Even despite the fact that we have our own eastern rural red zones and lighter-blue Outer SoCal. And if we are allowed to secede, that materially weakens the rump USA and encourages the northwest and northeast coast to secede too-- which weakens Jesusland even more!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Yes. I will need to leave North Kukluxistan -- I see lots of Confederate flags in Michigan -- it's simply shocking!

[Image: 0011110110100111010101001000001100000000...0111111001]

Statewide
100.0% ( 24,847 of 24,847 ) precincts partially reporting as of November 14, 2016, 12:26 p.m.

Candidate Votes %
Hillary Clinton (DEM) 6,000,605 61.6%
Donald J. Trump (REP, AI) 3,211,453 33.0%
Jill Stein (GRN) 168,428 1.7%
Gary Johnson (LIB) 312,375 3.2%
Gloria Estela La Riva (P&F) 41,692 0.4%

http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/maps/president/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
We live in a society in which people, including the president-elect, get their news from the internet, which is clogged with right-wing baloney and some left-wing baloney, conspiracy theory and fake news. Half the people believe that our government is chosen by the Bilderburg Group, that 9-11 was an inside job, that climate change is a hoax, and that Hillary is a criminal. It's enough to drive ME dizzy. I don't know how the USA survives if the people are no longer informed or rational.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rachel Maddow lied about the Russians placing bounties on American soldiers in Afghan Einzige 0 709 04-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Einzige