Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
But What If Trump is the GOP's Iturbide?
I am referring to Agustin de Iturbide, the Spanish general who was dispatched to Mexico to put down the Mexican Revolution, only to turn traitor and assume command of the revolutionary army, which then proceeded to win the war and make Mexico independent.

This theory is now being expounded by nervous Nellies on the right - including yesterday by a caller to Rush Limbaugh.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Oh, he will try to do the Samuel Gompers stuff on immigration, and do some saber-rattling at the Muslims - but he won't lift a finger to repeal ObamaCare or toe the fundie line on abortion, and will probably lead the charge to get ENDA passed.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
With someone all over the place in his promises I do not try to figure out what he will do (unless it is to promote his class interests, and I think we all know what they are). Should he win, I expect him to stab the workingman in the back -- at least figuratively.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Here's another observer saying pretty much the same thing:

https://theringer.com/six-reasons-conser....pg855gs6e
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(10-07-2016, 07:19 AM)Anthony Wrote: Here's another observer saying pretty much the same thing:

There's a hint of another turn coat conspiracy theory in there.  Supposedly, Trump is a life long New York liberal who turned Republican purely to destroy the party from within.  Not quite the same as Iturbide.  I don't really believe it.  He seems too sincerely messed up to be faking it.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(10-07-2016, 07:34 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 07:19 AM)Anthony Wrote: Here's another observer saying pretty much the same thing:

There's a hint of another turn coat conspiracy theory in there.  Supposedly, Trump is a life long New York liberal who turned Republican purely to destroy the party from within.  Not quite the same as Iturbide.  I don't really believe it.  He seems too sincerely messed up to be faking it.
Trump has always been about Trump. True, around the turn of the Millennium, he held a few "liberal" views, such as pro-choice. However, nothing else about his record indicates that he was in any way progressive. All through his life, his chief values have been about enriching and publicizing himself.
(10-08-2016, 10:41 AM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 07:34 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

Trump has always been about Trump.  True, around the turn of the Millennium, he held a few "liberal" views, such as pro-choice.  However, nothing else about his record indicates that he was in any way progressive.  All through his life, his chief values have been about enriching and publicizing himself.

No disagreement.  I'm throwing out a 'conspiracy theory' which 'supposedly' has merit.  Your 'Trump has always been about Trump' observation has more merit.

I just saw hints of the Trojan Horse theory in The Ringer's spin on things.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GOP Leader Defends Keeping Election Records Secret chairb 0 606 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chairb
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,880 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Ex-GOP Lawmaker: Trump Is “Illegitimate President,” Should Be Impeached mily 21 7,602 12-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Last Post: married1959
  GOP Far From United naf140230 0 1,951 01-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Last Post: naf140230
  The GOP Has Been HIJACKED! Anthony '58 217 116,479 10-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  GOP Fails To Unify naf140230 23 12,929 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Classic-Xer
  GOP: Kaine is too moderate Dan '82 8 4,406 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  GOP vs. PLO naf140230 5 2,853 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM
  GOP Platform to Call for Reinstatement of Glass-Steagall Dan '82 2 1,863 07-18-2016, 06:37 PM