Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Night Thread
(11-08-2016, 11:15 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Clinton's path to 270 is looking very grim.

America's future is looking similarly grim.

Get ready for the "Little Green Men" of GRU / Spetsnaz in our streets.

Somebody please wake me up and tell me this is all a nightmare.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(11-09-2016, 03:59 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:40 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 01:18 AM)Bronsin Wrote: I am mildly surprised at the results so far. I just didn't think there were enough of us out there that were sick and tired of the status quo to change it.

I'm not banking on Trump to change the status quo.  In fact I voted for him to preserve the status quo of a liberal democracy for one more secular cycle.  Clinton would have appointed Supreme Court justices that would have gutted the first and second amendments, hastening the shift to an autocratic government as warfare shift from firearms to nuclear weapons.

I don't know what to say about folks like you. all you want is your guns and your traditional religious superstition. You guys truly are deplorable.

You'll know even less when you realiize that (1) I'm no more white than Obama is, and (2) I'm atheist.
(11-09-2016, 05:12 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 05:03 AM)Galen Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:49 AM)Galen Wrote: Whenever you are investigating something it is best to divorce yourself from your feelings.  Remember that you are trying to understand the current situation and so your feelings about it are irrelevant.  The more like a dispassionate observer you become the better you will able to understand.  Like many Xers, I compartmentalize in a way that you can't imagine and its one of the reasons I am still alive after all of these years.  Ask Dannilyn, if you don't believe me, because I am pretty sure she has been doing the same thing for almost as long as I have.

It is only when you understand and need to decide on a course of action does your understanding of ethics and your feelings become relevant.

For an ISFJ that is very hard to do. I am very high sensory person but that is good advice. You cannot see with a clear head otherwise. But it does worry me as to why the anti PC backlash began. I worry for America's future and how it will influence the rest of us. Oh btw scratch my earlier post to classic xer. You are a libertarian. Not republican. Sorry it is late here and I am very unwell at the moment.

Political Correctness is just a way to shut people up.  Do yourself a favor and read 1984.  You will understand.
Ah so it is abused over there. I got a taste of it when a lady said I was a racist or racist enabler when i was simply doing what i always do....listen to both sides and measure. She did not even know me and immediately called me that. Not even allowed to listen to both sides and that is why I declare America tribal. This is why I have warned Democrats that doing that shit only hurts them. They caused this. I hope they will listen to me now. Probably not. This is why he was not hurt by talking in a way that was not pc. In fact it helped him. No one listens.

Over here, the term "political correctness" implies the abuse.  I can give some examples that I saw over and over.

1.   Any policy criticism of Obama was greeted with accusations of racism.  And it was becoming obvious that a President Clinton would mean any policy criticism of Clinton would be greeted with accusations of sexism.  The scary part is that much of the left here actually believes that:  they think they were being patriotic when criticizing Bush, but they genuinely believed that the only reason anyone could disagree with Obama was racism.

2.  The only government sanctioned racism still around in the U.S. is institutionalized discrimination against whites and Asians in the form of affirmative action.  But if you criticized affirmative action, you'd be accused of racism.  The idea that there could be racism against whites or Asians or any race other than blacks had been removed from the lexicon.
(11-09-2016, 08:12 AM)Odin Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 11:15 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Clinton's path to 270 is looking very grim.

You can wake up now.  The nightmare of the Clinton era is about to end.
The only way for Donald Trump to elevate white working-class people above non-white, non-Anglo, non-Christian, and non-straight people is to establish a system resembling Apartheid.

Got one of those bumper stickers that says "My tough son beat your honor student"? If so then you are the shame.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-09-2016, 09:45 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: The only way for Donald Trump to elevate white working-class people above non-white, non-Anglo, non-Christian, and non-straight people is to establish a system resembling Apartheid.

Got one of those bumper stickers that says "My tough son beat your honor student"? If so then you are the shame.

Trump doesn't even claim that's what he's trying to do.  He's fine with black working class people as well as any of those who are here legally.  He provided a blueprint for the inner cities that makes far more sense than anything the Democrats or the Republicans have previously verbalized.  He does say he'll send back illegal immigrants, though we'll see about whether that's true.

On race specifically, we need to get back to a color blind view where we don't give special preference to any race.  Preferencing any race just breeds resentment.  Trump's win is partly based just on extension of the Democrats' politics of racial division to one more race.  The solution is not to control which races to preference, but to get away from the politics of racial division entirely.
(11-09-2016, 09:41 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:49 AM)Galen Wrote: Whenever you are investigating something it is best to divorce yourself from your feelings.  Remember that you are trying to understand the current situation and so your feelings about it are irrelevant.  The more like a dispassionate observer you become the better you will able to understand.  Like many Xers, I compartmentalize in a way that you can't imagine and its one of the reasons I am still alive after all of these years.  Ask Dannilyn, if you don't believe me, because I am pretty sure she has been doing the same thing for almost as long as I have.

It is only when you understand and need to decide on a course of action does your understanding of ethics and your feelings become relevant

For an ISFJ that is very hard to do. I am very high sensory person but that is good advice. You cannot see with a clear head otherwise. But it does worry me as to why the anti PC backlash began. I worry for America's future and how it will influence the rest of us. Oh btw scratch my earlier post to classic xer. You are a libertarian. Not republican. Sorry it is late here and I am very unwell at the moment.

Political Correctness is just a way to shut people up.  Do yourself a favor and read 1984.  You will understand.
Ah so it is abused over there. I got a taste of it when a lady said I was a racist or racist enabler when i was simply doing what i always do....listen to both sides and measure. She did not even know me and immediately called me that. Not even allowed to listen to both sides and that is why I declare America tribal. This is why I have warned Democrats that doing that shit only hurts them. They caused this. I hope they will listen to me now. Probably not. This is why he was not hurt by talking in a way that was not pc. In fact it helped him. No one listens.

Over here, the term "political correctness" implies the abuse.  I can give some examples that I saw over and over.

1.   Any policy criticism of Obama was greeted with accusations of racism.  And it was becoming obvious that a President Clinton would mean any policy criticism of Clinton would be greeted with accusations of sexism.  The scary part is that much of the left here actually believes that:  they think they were being patriotic when criticizing Bush, but they genuinely believed that the only reason anyone could disagree with Obama was racism.

2.  The only government sanctioned racism still around in the U.S. is institutionalized discrimination against whites and Asians in the form of affirmative action.  But if you criticized affirmative action, you'd be accused of racism.  The idea that there could be racism against whites or Asians or any race other than blacks had been removed from the lexicon.

(11-09-2016, 09:43 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Thanks Galen.

I voted for Trump. I am proud of my vote. I stand by my vote.

You are so right about compartmentalizing things. I have been doing it for so long, I really don't think about it. I came of age in the first and only Clinton Era, the economy was crap and them setting up NAFTA made it worse. I joined the Navy, because of three things, and only one made the deciding factor. Those things were familial pride in my family history of service dating back to the early 1800s, patriotism, and desperation for a steady job. The desperation won above all else, after all my older brother joined the Marines in 1989, the family legacy of one from every generation was still holding. My desire for patriotism was sated through the volunteer work I was part of through the Eastern Star ladies' groups.

Most of you know I have worked and still occasionally do work in the exotic dance world or stripper if you feel the need. This in actuality goes against everything I would prefer to do. However, the desire to make a living or make extra money to take care of my family overrides any moral objections you or any faction of society can level at me. It goes against my belief system in how I feel God would prefer Christians to live, but again the needs of my family to have food shelter, and clothing and live independent of government "help" or "safety nets" overrides anything else. Because what they give, they can take away and then dictate how you live in other ways in exchange for their help.  Ethics in this means, my time dancing makes sure my family has what it needs.

By take back my country I mean, we take this country back to the constitution and operate it that way and get government out of every facet of our personal lives. And hopefully stop the insanity of the SJWs who apparently need to live in bubble wrap to avoid being "wounded" or offended. Because from what I have seen lately, just wishing someone good morning can damn near be a "trigger" or offensive or racist if you didn't say it fast enough to whatever group member is the du jour of the day protected special snowflake.

But either way. Today may feel dark for some of you, but for a whole lot of us that actually work and get dirty in the blue collar world, it feels like a bright shiny day of hope. Good Morning America, let's put our country back on track.
(11-09-2016, 09:53 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 09:45 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: The only way for Donald Trump to elevate white working-class people above non-white, non-Anglo, non-Christian, and non-straight people is to establish a system resembling Apartheid.

Trump doesn't even claim that's what he's trying to do.  He's fine with black working class people as well as any of those who are here legally.  He provided a blueprint for the inner cities that makes far more sense than anything the Democrats or the Republicans have previously verbalized.  He does say he'll send back illegal immigrants, though we'll see about whether that's true.

Then why did they not trust him?

Blueprint for the inner cities... not that I would trust him. I expect the solution to be more jobs through lower wages, a dream for exploiters. There will be no more pay, just more people working for the same amount of money.

Quote:On race specifically, we need to get back to a color blind view where we don't give special preference to any race.  Preferencing any race just breeds resentment.  Trump's win is partly based just on extension of the Democrats' politics of racial division to one more race.  The solution is not to control which races to preference, but to get away from the politics of racial division entirely.

Color-blind? that is a pipe dream. We are still color-blinded.

Donald Trump has left no doubt that he stands for the forgotten white person, the working-class white who has made no gains while middle-class minorities have gone past working-class white people on merit. Such is his core support.

But sociopath that he is, he will not neglect such people. He will facilitate their abuse and exploitation. Oh no, he definitely will not forget them. Of course that is hardly the attention that I would ever want -- being abused and exploited.

The United States of America is about to become the purest plutocracy in the world since Chile under Pinochet. This is where the greatest priority of the government will be to ensure that labor be cheap, no matter what the human cost.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-09-2016, 10:22 AM)Danilynn Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 09:41 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:57 AM)taramarie Wrote: For an ISFJ that is very hard to do. I am very high sensory person but that is good advice. You cannot see with a clear head otherwise. But it does worry me as to why the anti PC backlash began. I worry for America's future and how it will influence the rest of us. Oh btw scratch my earlier post to classic xer. You are a libertarian. Not republican. Sorry it is late here and I am very unwell at the moment.

(11-09-2016, 09:43 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Thanks Galen.

I voted for Trump. I am proud of my vote. I stand by my vote.

You are so right about compartmentalizing things. I have been doing it for so long, I really don't think about it. I came of age in the first and only Clinton Era, the economy was crap and them setting up NAFTA made it worse. I joined the Navy, because of three things, and only one made the deciding factor. Those things were familial pride in my family history of service dating back to the early 1800s, patriotism, and desperation for a steady job. The desperation won above all else, after all my older brother joined the Marines in 1989, the family legacy of one from every generation was still holding. My desire for patriotism was sated through the volunteer work I was part of through the Eastern Star ladies' groups.

Most of you know I have worked and still occasionally do work in the exotic dance world or stripper if you feel the need. This in actuality goes against everything I would prefer to do. However, the desire to make a living or make extra money to take care of my family overrides any moral objections you or any faction of society can level at me. It goes against my belief system in how I feel God would prefer Christians to live, but again the needs of my family to have food shelter, and clothing and live independent of government "help" or "safety nets" overrides anything else. Because what they give, they can take away and then dictate how you live in other ways in exchange for their help.  Ethics in this means, my time dancing makes sure my family has what it needs.

By take back my country I mean, we take this country back to the constitution and operate it that way and get government out of every facet of our personal lives. And hopefully stop the insanity of the SJWs who apparently need to live in bubble wrap to avoid being "wounded" or offended. Because from what I have seen lately, just wishing someone good morning can damn near be a "trigger" or offensive or racist if you didn't say it fast enough to whatever group member is the du jour of the day protected special snowflake.

But either way. Today may feel dark for some of you, but for a whole lot of us that actually work and get dirty in the blue collar world, it feels like a bright shiny day of hope. Good Morning America, let's put our country back on track.

You seem to be eager to keep your own bubble wrap of religious and geographical correctness. God help anyone who says a bad word about it, or doesn't say things exactly in the right way to you too. But then, logical consistency in speech has no place in Trumpland. Only nonsense. And if it's now OK for you to insult those different from you, then keep fighting and denying that the same thing will happen to you.

You claim the government has been in every facet of your personal life. Such a statement makes no sense at all, but you guys have proved once again that any level of verbal logic does not apply to your beliefs. It is just pure feeling and, as you say, whatever provides for your needs, as best as you can feel or believe about it from your personal limited perspective.

I am pessimistic that a country that operates on pure emotion, selfishness, insult and irrational belief is going to prosper. But good luck with it.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Americans have proven that they have no shame. Polls say they knew Trump was unfit, and was selfish and mean. He had a greater disapproval rating than Hillary. They voted for him anyway. They want to make America awful again. They will probably succeed.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 09:20 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 03:59 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:40 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 01:18 AM)Bronsin Wrote: I am mildly surprised at the results so far. I just didn't think there were enough of us out there that were sick and tired of the status quo to change it.

I'm not banking on Trump to change the status quo.  In fact I voted for him to preserve the status quo of a liberal democracy for one more secular cycle.  Clinton would have appointed Supreme Court justices that would have gutted the first and second amendments, hastening the shift to an autocratic government as warfare shift from firearms to nuclear weapons.

I don't know what to say about folks like you. all you want is your guns and your traditional religious superstition. You guys truly are deplorable.

You'll know even less when you realiize that (1) I'm no more white than Obama is, and (2) I'm atheist.

You want to be free to discriminate against gays, and you want you and anyone else to have any and all kinds of guns. Those are your life and political priorities. That's what it means to say "Clinton would have appointed Supreme Court justices that would have gutted the first and second amendments." Not that anything I say would make it any clearer to you, Ted Cruz. But it is truly deplorable, and you belong in Hillary's basket, whatever color or religion you are, or are not.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 12:54 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Americans have proven that they have no shame. Polls say they knew Trump was unfit, and was selfish and mean. He had a greater disapproval rating than Hillary. They voted for him anyway. They want to make America awful again. They will probably succeed.

I am convinced that the Republicans will rig future elections so that they can not lose, and so that they can maintain their nightmarish New Feudalism indefinitely. They will have no willingness to relinquishing government of the economic elites, by the economic elites, and for the economic elites at any time. Barack Obama is the last Democratic President that we will have until the Capitalist Reich of America comes to an end. Tammy Duckworth will probably be the last Democratic Senator who defeats a Republican incumbent.

Democrats have practically no chance of any political gains in 2018. 2020?  Maybe 2052 or so.

Republicans might tantalize us with an election that looks as if Democrats have a chance, only to make sure that the Democrats fall short. Then they make the concession "maybe next time". There will be no chance.

We may be becoming an effective single-party state. We might be a bit more subtle than Cuba, but that's not saying much.

(11-09-2016, 02:37 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: I am convinced that the Republicans will rig future elections so that they can not lose, and so that they can maintain their nightmarish New Feudalism indefinitely. They will have no willingness to relinquishing government of the economic elites, by the economic elites, and for the economic elites at any time. Barack Obama is the last Democratic President that we will have until the Capitalist Reich of America comes to an end. Tammy Duckworth will probably be the last Democratic Senator who defeats a Republican incumbent.

Democrats have practically no chance of any political gains in 2018. 2020?  Maybe 2052 or so.  

Republicans might tantalize us with an election that looks as if Democrats have a chance, only to make sure that the Democrats fall short. Then they make the concession "maybe next time". There will be no chance.

We may be becoming an effective single-party state. We might be a bit more subtle than Cuba, but that's not saying much.

The unravelling pattern has been a period of Republican borrow and spend trickle down leading to economic hardship, followed by the Democrats coming in for a time to right the ship. Trump has other liabilities in addition to the poor economic plans. I don't know that the pattern is apt to break.

Kinser long ago championed Trump as he was the candidate most likely to cause a Marxist revolution. I don't anticipate the revolution, but if he runs the government like he ran his campaign, we might get a regeneracy.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(11-09-2016, 03:59 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:40 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Go have a banana-broccoli smoothie and a few Valium and just sleep it off.
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(11-09-2016, 02:44 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The unravelling pattern has been a period of Republican borrow and spend trickle down leading to economic hardship, followed by the Democrats coming in for a time to right the ship.  Trump has other liabilities in addition to the poor economic plans.  I don't know that the pattern is apt to break.

Kinser long ago championed Trump as he was the candidate most likely to cause a Marxist revolution.  I don't anticipate the revolution, but if he runs the government like he ran his campaign, we might get a regeneracy.

The one element that makes this scary is the time lag.  If I kill the entire climate control regime, and put fossil fuels on steroids, then the climate will set the time clock for us.  Add the end of Dodd-Frank to the hyper-rapacious nature of modern capitalism, and the resources to respond might be decimated too.  We're a lot more fragile than we look.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-09-2016, 03:16 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Let's be crass and blunt, it is the new normal. What many who voted for Trump wanted to do was to figuratively punch out the so called "elites." The wrath that grew from years of shrinking economic attainment, coupled with cultural changes, some of them good, some of them not, pushed many average Americans past some sort of breaking point. Adrenalin kicked in, so to speak, then rational thought went out the window. It is not unexpected. Sanders failed to harness this well enough to rise to the top of the pile. Trump did it better. Here we are.

Who can blame them for felling irate?  I can't.  Then again, you don't get warm by burning down your house ... and, to me, this has that old arson feel to it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-09-2016, 03:32 PM)Bronsin Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 03:59 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:40 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Go have a banana-broccoli smoothie and a few Valium and just sleep it off.

I can, but it won't change the substance of the views you expressed, and it is as I have said-- exactly.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 04:09 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:44 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The unravelling pattern has been a period of Republican borrow and spend trickle down leading to economic hardship, followed by the Democrats coming in for a time to right the ship.  Trump has other liabilities in addition to the poor economic plans.  I don't know that the pattern is apt to break.

Kinser long ago championed Trump as he was the candidate most likely to cause a Marxist revolution.  I don't anticipate the revolution, but if he runs the government like he ran his campaign, we might get a regeneracy.

The one element that makes this scary is the time lag.  If I kill the entire climate control regime, and put fossil fuels on steroids, then the climate will set the time clock for us.  Add the end of Dodd-Frank to the hyper-rapacious nature of modern capitalism, and the resources to respond might be decimated too.  We're a lot more fragile than we look.

Yes indeed. Welcome to the 4T, at least.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 04:09 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Fossil fueled electricity is soon to be killed by solar.  Musk is big enough that rooftop solar will soon supply most of the electricity in America.

It would help if the Democrats would start supporting carbon tax initiatives, such as the one that failed in Washington state, rather than using the poor as an excuse to take no action.
(11-09-2016, 01:46 PM)taramarie Wrote: Mmmm yes I have seen the accusations constantly towards repubs regarding racism. I think it is complete nonsense. Unless they actually come out and say something like monkey, chimp, nigger etc we do not know what they intentions are.....unless you ask them of course.

Largely true, though "monkey" and "chimp", while needless insults, are not necessarily racist.  A leftist cartoonist depicted Cruz's daughters as trained monkeys during the primary, and he is white.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2021 general election pbrower2a 3 1,299 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  GOP Leader Defends Keeping Election Records Secret chairb 0 615 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Election Night 2020 thread pbrower2a 80 20,256 10-14-2021, 01:01 AM
  Presidential election, 2024 pbrower2a 0 803 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM
  Election 2020 Eric the Green 57 35,534 05-26-2021, 11:37 PM
  NJ mailman allegedly tossed 99 election ballots into dumpster Swingline 0 846 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Swingline
  Election 2020 pbrower2a 1,249 288,776 02-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Election Turnout by Generations jleagans 6 3,632 12-21-2020, 01:49 AM
  If Trump loses the next election Mickey123 45 15,571 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM
  Election 2018 pbrower2a 164 60,691 11-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green