Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Night Thread
No major results in yet.

Exit polls have Trump doing the same with Hispanic voters as Romney did.
exit polls show Minnesota and Michigan tied.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/.../president
http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/.../president
Oh God...is Donald Trump really going to be President of the United States?  What kind of Bosch-esque nightmare are we waking into?
Happy day. President Trump! Happy day
The Midwest wouldn't be close if Sanders had been the nominee.
President Trump! happy day
Just can't accept that people are fed up and want their country back. #Trump2016
I am mildly surprised at the results so far. I just didn't think there were enough of us out there that were sick and tired of the status quo to change it.
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(11-09-2016, 12:02 AM)Danilynn Wrote: Just can't accept that people are fed up and want their country back. #Trump2016

Donald Trump is an evil man, a classic sociopath. He will have more in common with Hugo Chavez, Robert Mugabe, Benito Mussolini, or Slobodan Milosevic. Under his Administration if you did not support him you will get nothing from him. He is the political figure that I can least describe with the word "Christian".

He has pulled the biggest con game upon a little over half the electorate, promising to hurt the other half.

Whatever pride I ever had in being an American I no longer have.

OK -- considering that it is white people who will have voted in that monster, I feel shame at being white.

If you voted for Donald Trump I do not hate you for that. But I certainly hate the vote that you cast.

Enjoy the replay of the Great Depression. Maybe that will be what it will take for Americans to get a 'new birth of freedom'.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

The election is over. PA goes for Trump.

I was wrong; my prediction failed. Back to the drawing board; maybe. Maybe someday. But my plans for a new book are over, and I will take down my video.
I had a good record, but this is a black mark upon it. It's 2000 again. I still can't predict elections. Neither can almost any pundit or pollster. The guys who predicted it correctly were the amateur Trump lovers on you tube.

I think the demographic changes regarding millennials is suspect.

We are divided by race. Whites still rule. Blacks are in great danger of being shot. Riots may erupt.

Many species in the world will die. That's what I feel most sorry for. We are killing life on the planet, and that process will speed up.

The free market is still out there regarding alternative energy. But it's going to change too slowly to avoid many disasters. Some of the people of the South who voted for Trump may be flooded out soon. I would not be confident of property values in Miami Beach!

We urban intellectuals are perhaps-irreparably separated from what we see as ignorant hicks in the rural heartland. They live on emotion only.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 01:18 AM)Bronsin Wrote: I am mildly surprised at the results so far. I just didn't think there were enough of us out there that were sick and tired of the status quo to change it.

Maybe you guys can define what you mean by "status quo" The statement that you wanted to change it, makes no sense.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-08-2016, 11:30 PM)Dan 82 Wrote: The Midwest wouldn't be close if Sanders had been the nominee.

I think that's right. The Democrats bet on Hillary because she had the qualifications and the support of the leaders. She won the primaries fair and square. But many Bernie supporters either thought that Hillary cheated (just more of the ignorant conspiracy theory out there, and I should say it's also urban, I stand corrected on that to a degree), or that she wasn't enough of a change so they stayed home. Voters wanted "change," but what is the change?

There is "anti-globalism." Nationalism is on the rise; it's the end of the globalist dream of 1989.

The people of Syria will continue to suffer badly. I feel so sorry for them. They will have to leave their country, and somehow find homes in other places. We won't be helping them at all. Many more will die.

Trump is an entertainer who inspires confidence in his strength. Hillary was perceived as too weak. It comes down partly to that primal American emotion. The USA is not ready for women leadership at this level.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Trump with the nuclear codes. Pretty scary.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 01:43 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 12:02 AM)Danilynn Wrote: Just can't accept that people are fed up and want their country back. #Trump2016

Donald Trump is an evil man, a classic sociopath. He will have more in common with Hugo Chavez, Robert Mugabe, Benito Mussolini, or Slobodan Milosevic. Under his Administration if you did not support him you will get nothing from him. He is the political figure that I can least describe with the word "Christian".

He has pulled the biggest con game upon a little over half the electorate, promising to hurt the other half.

Whatever pride I ever had in being an American I no longer have.

OK -- considering that it is white people who will have voted in that monster, I feel shame at being white.

If you voted for Donald Trump I do not hate you for that. But I certainly hate the vote that you cast.

Enjoy the replay of the Great Depression. Maybe that will be what it will take for Americans to get a 'new birth of freedom'.

A lot of my predictions for the future hinged on Trump losing. I forecast a stable economy for the next couple of years. I can't stick with that prediction. I do think another crash is possible soon now. I think the danger of both civil war and world has has increased, and it could come sooner than my cycles predicted. Suffice to say I don't have much confidence in some of my predictions now. The one about a possible civil war is of course still on the table. Tribalism reigns. And lots more gun violence, and death of species as I said. But Trump voters don't care about those things. They want to be part of the Trump Nation. Make Amerika Great Again.

To Rags: my stock market prediction is hereby cancelled. Make of that what you will, if anything.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-09-2016, 01:18 AM)Bronsin Wrote: I am mildly surprised at the results so far. I just didn't think there were enough of us out there that were sick and tired of the status quo to change it.

I'm not banking on Trump to change the status quo.  In fact I voted for him to preserve the status quo of a liberal democracy for one more secular cycle.  Clinton would have appointed Supreme Court justices that would have gutted the first and second amendments, hastening the shift to an autocratic government as warfare shift from firearms to nuclear weapons.
(11-09-2016, 02:40 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

I'm not banking on Trump to change the status quo.  In fact I voted for him to preserve the status quo of a liberal democracy for one more secular cycle.  Clinton would have appointed Supreme Court justices that would have gutted the first and second amendments, hastening the shift to an autocratic government as warfare shift from firearms to nuclear weapons.

The only way in which Donald Trump can achieve his promises to the white working class is to institute an Apartheid system in which anyone not white, Anglo, Christian, and straight becomes a subject. In return the white working class will get the dubious satisfaction of being better off than people who have ever achieved anything despite not being white. Anglo, Christian, and straight.

American white people (and face it -- others did not participate in the murder of American democracy)  can feel shame for their group. So if you are white and voted your conscience and rational thought that both made it impossible to vote for a corrupt private-sector kleptocrat to get command of the federal government, you are excused.

I have non-aristocratic ancestors from the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland -- maybe Poland and what is now the Czech Republic. I would now rather be a citizen of any one of those countries than be an American now.

We may have just had the last free election in American history. The next free election that any of us know will be in some foreign country -- or in a successor state of the United States of America.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Well, congratulations, you got "your" country back.

This is funny!!!!
(11-09-2016, 02:27 AM)taramarie Wrote: I am sad to say my quiet prediction that I kept to myself came to pass. I predicted civil war. Some here did not believe me. I predicted Trump winning. I predicted a rise in Nationalism and all of the hatred boiling over to this which some Dems have pushed Repubs towards. I predicted another crash worse than the last one. I do not say it though till I know for sure. That is going by gut instinct. Being an ISFJ stinks sometimes. Now you see why I was so scared. I do not go by stars. I go by actions now, in the past and predict the reaction.

Actually I expected this election to closer in many ways than it actually turned out.  Truth is, an economic crisis was already baked into the cake.  The best anyone could do is delay it with the unfortunate consequence of having an even worse crisis later.  Given the current state of the US it would be best if the government would quite bombing the middle east and antagonizing Russia.  As I have said before, " I am not certain that Trump is the answer but it is clear that Hillary isn't".

Take if from someone who has watched Trump longer than you have been alive.  Trump is not self destructive, not even in his younger days.  Now that he is seventy with children and grand-children it seems unlikely that will have changed.  Remember, that I am an Xer with an over-developed sense of self-preservation.  I have had to take risks but I don't take stupid ones and tend to win more than I lose.

As for the election: so much for astrology.  You are absolutely correct about that.

We are entering the second half of the fourth turning and its going to be a bumpy ride.  I think our odds of survival have increased greatly.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(11-09-2016, 03:28 AM)taramarie Wrote: I wonder what these people mean by "their country back." Heck I thought the country belonged to ALL AMERICANS.

Yes, but the relentless centralization of the US through the last century has created more than a few resentments.  In short, much of the population does not want to be micromanaged by the Feds.  Then there is the little matter of Wall Street constantly getting bailed out.  Contrary to the opinions of many here, Libertarians are consistently opposed to this. In the free market there is no such thing as "too big to fail".I am not surprised by your confusion, you come from a much more homogeneous culture.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2021 general election pbrower2a 3 1,291 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  GOP Leader Defends Keeping Election Records Secret chairb 0 606 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Election Night 2020 thread pbrower2a 80 20,152 10-14-2021, 01:01 AM
  Presidential election, 2024 pbrower2a 0 796 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM
  Election 2020 Eric the Green 57 35,407 05-26-2021, 11:37 PM
  NJ mailman allegedly tossed 99 election ballots into dumpster Swingline 0 835 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Swingline
  Election 2020 pbrower2a 1,249 287,290 02-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Election Turnout by Generations jleagans 6 3,599 12-21-2020, 01:49 AM
  If Trump loses the next election Mickey123 45 15,412 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM
  Election 2018 pbrower2a 164 60,312 11-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green