Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-11-2016, 07:17 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Trump goes after immigrants, government workers, the environment, and gay couples — that's day one

By Mark Sumner  
Thursday Nov 10, 2016 · 7:40 AM PST
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/10...-s-day-one

Rolling back every inch of progress in the last eight years? Not enough. Backed by a Republican Senate and Republican House, Trump is anxious to get more ambitious.

With complete GOP control of the executive and legislative branches, top Republican policy experts see a chance for enacting a sweeping conservative agenda, from tougher immigration laws to tax reform to a repeal of Obamacare, and they want to jump on the bandwagon.

The whole idea of the Republican #NeverTrump movement, or that “true conservatives” would distance themselves from Trump’s … whatever-will-rile-the-crowd-ism, has vanished with the morning sun. The Trump transition team is simply swimming in Republicans eager to join. The winning for Team Trump is just beginning.

Even when the Trump team contemplated victory, they thought they’d be facing a Democratic Senate.

They built a tentative war plan around the premise that Democrats would control the Senate and that a Trump White House would be locked in daily battles with the likes of Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.).
But now that the field is clear, they plan to run, run, run and keep running over every Democratic legislative victory back to FDR. Trump plans to start on day one by sending refugees back into danger, destroying Obama’s legacy, and of course … that wall.

Things that Trump has said he would do on day one ...

Laying out the aims of his administration, Trump said he will “repeal and replace ‘Obamacare,’” “immediately suspend the admission of Syrian refugees,” “order a review of every single regulation issued over the last eight years,” “begin lifting all regulations that are hurting our workers and our businesses,” “terminate every single unconstitutional executive order signed by President Obama,” “restore the rule of law to our land,” “begin implementing plans for construction of a wall along our southern border” and “get rid of” international gangs of thugs and drug cartels — all on his first day.
If Trump was really going to stop at “unconstitutional executive orders,” he’d be done already, because the relatively few orders Obama has issued are not unconstitutional. But that’s obviously not what Trump means.

Obama has used these orders to forestall deportation of the minor children of illegal immigrants; mandate wage increases for government contractors, institute rules regulating greenhouse emissions from power plants, and apply the Family Medical Leave Act to same-sex couples.

Deportations of children will resume. Wages will go down. CO2 will go up. And gay couples will lose their medical leave. That’s all on day one.

President Obama used executive orders where he could to get around a do-nothing Congress, and the nation has benefited from his actions. But there’s no doubt they can be, and will be, undone in an instant.

“During the first 100 days, the presidency will likely become a vehicle for moving the Republican agenda forward,” Mr. Craig said. “Nothing with Obama’s name on it is safe. It will be: ‘Let’s pull out the list of Obama’s sacred cows and slaughter them, one by one.’ ”

One of those “cows” will certainly be the Affordable Care Act. Republicans can certainly be ready on day one with a bill that destroys the ACA and which substitutes the meaningless “allow insurance across state lines.” The secret? There’s no federal law to stop insurance companies from crossing state lines now. It’s just a talking point. For the short term, millions of Americans will simply be without health care and millions more will face an explosion in costs.

Longer term, the Republican “replacement” is likely to be a voucher system, like the one proposed in the Ryan Plan. This also matches Trump’s promised model for the VA.

Don’t expect either of these plans to stop with Obamacare. Ryan’s plan called for Americans born after 1957 to never see Medicare, and the existing program to be destroyed by 2022. What the Republicans put forward will likely be an Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid replacement, all in the vague form of “a voucher system.”

In theory, international treaties like the Iran deal and the Paris climate accords are harder for Trump to “tear up,” as he’s threatened to do, on day one. In practice, he can just as easily ignore them. Trump will support ramping up sanctions against Iran, throwing that agreement into chaos, and remove any limit on greenhouse gases, making the Paris accords moot. US bad faith is likely to then end with both agreements in tatters, even if there’s never an official withdrawal.

Reopening negotiations could also prompt Iran to restart its uranium centrifuges, putting the country back on a path to a nuclear weapon.

Safety and environmental regulations are an easy day one goal. The total dissolution of the EPA, OSHA, MSHA, and BLM will take a little longer. Expect public lands and public resources to be given away in massive blocks. And while the Republicans are destroying institutions, expect the Department of Education to go. Along with support for public libraries, which are singled out in the Ryan Plan. Who needs a library when you can always check Breitbart?

But the number one goal of the Trump administration and the Republicans in Congress will be the same as it always is—taxes.

The centerpiece of Mr. Trump’s plans is a major overhaul of the federal tax code. Mr. Trump has proposed a sharp reduction in the taxation of businesses and a series of changes that would reduce income taxes for most American households. The wealthiest households would see by far the largest reductions in taxes.

The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center estimated that Mr. Trump’s plan would cut federal revenues by $6.2 trillion over the next decade — a significantly larger reduction than the last major round of cuts under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003.
Corporations that are already the wealthiest and most profitable in history, are about to get a windfall. Billionaires and millionaires are about to see their taxes vastly reduced, and their wealth sheltered so it can be passed on without limit. Junior and Ivanka and the other one can rest knowing that the money will come their way without diminution.

Everyone else can expect the bill.

Eric stop reading that cheetohead crap
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
You'd better read it. Wake up.......

You all know from reading this thread that I started, that I don't think much of Trump, to put it mildly. From everything I've been reading, from various sources (not just Daily Kos), I see that Trump is going to be far worse than I even imagined, much like dubya was even worse than I imagined. And I imagined him to be dreadful too.

Amerikkka is ON TRACK TO BE THE TRULY EVIL EMPIRE.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I'm starting to think I should quit everything else I'm doing, and become a full-time Trump basher and resister. Well, I'll think about it............ I seem to be doing nothing else so far.........

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I think we need to take a break and review the results after Trump has been in office for a few months. Then we could discuss facts instead of endless speculations.
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(11-11-2016, 08:22 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: You'd better read it. Wake up.......

You all know from reading this thread that I started, that I don't think much of Trump, to put it mildly. From everything I've been reading, from various sources (not just Daily Kos), I see that Trump is going to be far worse than I even imagined, much like dubya was even worse than I imagined. And I imagined him to be dreadful too.

-- l am woke up. l voted Bernie  & then Jill
(11-11-2016, 08:56 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 08:47 PM)radind Wrote: I think we need to take a break and review the results after Trump has been in office for a few months. Then we could discuss facts instead of endless speculations.

I agree. People are getting wound up in knots atm.

When in trouble, or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(11-11-2016, 08:47 PM)radind Wrote: I think we need to take a break and review the results after Trump has been in office for a few months. Then we could discuss facts instead of endless speculations.

I don't think the reports I posted about the decisions he's making are speculations.

But he is the president, so we'll see.

We also know what Paul Ryan wants to do, and what the Republican platform is. What is clear is that the fluke election of 1980, now more than half my life ago, has still not been reversed, and the count continues of the reign of trickle-down economics. Now 36 years, and to continue now for at least 4 more and probably more. Our nation cannot continue to prosper and our people cannot continue to prosper under the system. We are declining, and have been all this time. Just reducing the government, which was never the problem, will not solve our problems. We can't continue to blame people who get benefits for our low wages and slow business, instead of the folks who refuse to pay us fair wages and give endless breaks to them. That seems so obvious, and yet the people keep voting for more trickle-down economics. These are facts, not endless speculations. What seems to be endless, is the constant dumbing down of the people, so that they keep making stupid decisions on election day. It's tragic.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-11-2016, 10:00 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 08:22 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: You'd better read it. Wake up.......

So why did you knock the article I posted, from folks who support Bernie?

We're going to need to focus to have any chance to stop this agenda.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I see on the news that Ivanka Trump along with his two sons and nephew are on his transition team with Mike Pence. Remember my prediction. Ivanka will probably get a post in the administration; that's a start to her political career. The new dynasty is here. Ivanka Trump: horoscope score 14-1!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-11-2016, 07:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: What can the Democrats do?

https://newrepublic.com/article/138646/c...nald-trump

I bet you wish the cloture rules hadn't been loosened up by the Democrats?  I am pretty sure I mentioned that you would regret that later.  Congratulations, it is later.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(11-11-2016, 11:27 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

-- you mean the cheetoheads? they supported Bernie? l wouldn't know bcuz l don't read their shit, like that piece you posted, which is deliberately inflamatory & designed to get ppl's knickers in a knot. The TPPs already dead. Congress has decided to stop persuing it, even tho lame duck bambam is more than willing to sign it. l saw somewhere that the Donald wants to reinstate Glass-Steagle (as does Bernie) l didn't have time to read the article, so l don't know if it was just clickbait, but if it's the real deal  why would l wanna stop that? Bernie himself has said he will work with the Donald unless he proposes something really obnoxious (read Wall) so let's stay calm see how this rolls. We may be surprised. well l think we will be surprised- one way or another.
(11-12-2016, 06:37 AM)Marypoza Wrote:

-- you mean the cheetoheads? they supported Bernie? l wouldn't know bcuz l don't read their shit, like that piece you posted, which is deliberately inflamatory & designed to get ppl's knickers in a knot. The TPPs already dead. Congress has decided to stop persuing it, even tho lame duck bambam is more than willing to sign it. l saw somewhere that the Donald wants to reinstate Glass-Steagle (as does Bernie) l didn't have time to read the article, so l don't know if it was just clickbait, but if it's the real deal  why would l wanna stop that? Bernie himself has said he will work with the Donald unless he proposes something really obnoxious (read Wall) so let's stay calm see how this rolls. We may be surprised. well l think we will be surprised- one way or another.

Delusions like that, on your part, just means you are caving in to the neo-liberal extremist Republican project. The only way to stay calm is just to be resigned to disaster, give up and die.

Wake up, Maryposa.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-12-2016, 03:21 AM)Galen Wrote:

I bet you wish the cloture rules hadn't been loosened up by the Democrats?  I am pretty sure I mentioned that you would regret that later.  Congratulations, it is later.

I seem to recall at some point on the old forum pointing out that the filibuster is a feature of the rules of the Senate and only exists because of those rules. As such a new Congress can through the Rules Committee of the Senate dispose of the filibuster and cloture at any time.

I also seem to recall saying that a majority that disposes of the the filibuster or loosens cloture requirements would eventually become the minority.

Personally I've favored scrapping the filibuster and cloture rules for some time. The Senate was intended to cool the coffee coming out of the House, not make a granita with it.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(11-12-2016, 03:21 AM)Galen Wrote:

You are getting your way. Enjoy it.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Democracy is DEAD in America. Get accustomed to it. All that you will get to do is more work -- without getting paid for it.

I want to emigrate.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-12-2016, 03:20 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 06:37 AM)Marypoza Wrote:

Delusions like that, on your part, just means you are caving in to the neo-liberal extremist Republican project. The only way to stay calm is just to be resigned to disaster, give up and die.

Wake up, Maryposa.

-- Eric. stop talking like Chicken Little. lt is soooo beneath you
(11-12-2016, 03:39 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 03:38 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Democracy is DEAD in America. Get accustomed to it. All that you will get to do is more work -- without getting paid for it.

I want to emigrate.

NZ perhaps?

Sane, beautiful, English-speaking, and relatively uncrowded -- that sounds like a good choice.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-10-2016, 05:08 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 04:02 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I'm a take no crap Republican voter. I've spent years battling with the more extreme partisans on your side. The majority of whom are around anymore You don't know extreme because you've never seen an extreme. What's extreme to you? An American who isn't afraid to call you out and get in your face isn't extreme based on my standards. If it's extreme, you don't go out or get around very much within America. Dude, I am a typical American raised in 1970's suburban culture. A culture with civic rules and moral standards.  An American who can relate to most Americans who can handle being around the use of bad words, open displays of anger and an occasional fight. Who are you? Where are you from? Do you live in a world full of blue cream puffs or the real world? A blue uppity world where swearing and open displays of anger are illegal for those who aren't liberal. REALITY IS WHAT REALITY IS BASED ON ONES EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE. THE REALITY IS YOU DON"T LIVE IN HEAVEN WHERE THE HEAVENLY VALUES EXIST. You don't like what I have to say to you or say to you in regards to your beliefs or views of other people and your views. Well, TFB, you live in America and America just reminded you clowns where you live. In my opinion, if you can handle anti-sentiment and dish it out then you can handle anti-black and brown as well. If not, you have a partisan issue that I do not have and an issue with convincing me that your any better than those than your always bitching about. I'd eliminate you and replace you with someone real. In short, if I offend, you fucked up and I will tell you/show where you fucked up. I've never applied a negative term that wasn't earned. Rational conversation requires people who handle negative comments and accept failures. How many posters here are capable of handling either one? I've never seen as many thin skinned people who can't take shit or criticism as I see on forums like these.

When I was young enough that someone might want to pick a fight with me, I had studied martial arts.  As I figured it, anyone immature and undisciplined enough to want to start a fight would be an unworthy opponent.  I found that if one was confident enough of this fact, it was trivially easy to avoid fights.

I'm from greater Boston, was a professional software engineer, and have gotten along with folks well enough that I have not and had no desire to hurt people.  I do not consider myself unusual in this.  Then again, most of my time in Boston was spent at Northeastern, MIT and Draper Labs, not in Roxbury or Southie.  There is Boston, and then there is Boston.

I'm currently in a role playing game group where most everyone but me is a veteran.  Surprise, surprise, they occasionally use pungent language.  I don't faint or get upset when it happens.  However, one of the veterans, the owner of the game store, tries to welcome children and their parents.  The store sells games appropriate for youth, tries to keep the ugly language down, as Jay's living to some extent depends on the store maintaining a family friendly reputation.  The tradition is, if someone uses salty language, a second person turns on a third person who hasn't said anything and rebukes at him.  It's a joke at one level, and no one is really upset, but everyone does acknowledge that we're in a civilized place and everyone should try to be civil.   We've had a few folk who have no interest in civility.  They don't last long in our gaming groups.  As I figure it, that's the way things ought to be.

The first week at work as a janitor for the old Bell System, the others based at the garage noted I didn't use foul language.  One of them predicted that this wouldn't last long.  Wrong.  Still going...  Yet, the language didn't bother me in the least.

I've been reading Hillbilly Elegy, J. D. Vance's loving yet scathing description of the rural Scotts-Irish culture.  It provides a glimpse of sorts into an alternate culture.  One doesn't start a fight unless they insult your family, family is important, but it is OK to insult the other guy's family.  One never beat's one's wife unless she throws the first blow, then it's OK.  The book provides one perspective on a deplorable culture, a culture of poverty, prejudice, drugs and violence.  The author viewed Hillbilly culture as a trap to be escaped.  Not everyone sees it as a trap.  Not everyone tries to escape.  Some accept poverty, prejudice, drugs and violence as the norm.  Well, accept might not be the right word.  They take pride in being dysfunctional.

Sure, I wouldn't do well in a Rust Belt Hillbilly culture.  I'm doubtful that you would do well on Route 128 or in Silicone Valley.  We both grew into our own cultures, and might not be content living under a different set of assumptions among people who live in a different world that requires different values.

I don't expect to convince you that being deplorable is a bad thing.

But being deplorable, violent, abusive, dysfunctional, etc...  is not the only American culture.  The Hillbilly culture is one aspect of America, but one should not confuse this with Hillbilly Culture being America.  The Lockheed Aircraft facilities south of San Francisco properly fly bigger flags on top of higher flag poles than the average uneducated deplorable and proud hillbilly.  This is a metaphor for something or other.
I doubt we'd ever get into a real fight. I don't fight with people who don't give me a reason to fight with them. I haven't been in a real fight since high school. The bulk of my fights were with bullies. The rest were with arrogant pricks who crossed the line that they were not aware existed. I'm not a big fan of violence. However, I do understand the value/ need for it from time to time in certain situations. Back in the day, we were expected to take care of an issue like bullying. We were taught the value of standing up for ourselves and defending ourselves. The GI's were good teachers. The GI's didn't teach or promote their dreams and the values associated with achieving their dreams. The GI's were practical minded people who taught us the ways of the world that still exist today. If you task government with the job of solving one problem, I have faith in the governments ability to solve one problem. Hell, I even have faith in governments ability to solve a few problems if its centered on solving those problems. We don't have as many problems as the left. The left has tons of problems it's looking to government to solve for them.The problems we have are related to economics, national security and government trespasses and direct threats pertaining to individual rights. How are we suppose to address the tons of problems that liberals have been tying us to for years. You have a clue where we are at society wise. A make or break moment in my opinion and you probably know which way we're going to break by looking at the map. It's not hard to see the economically depressed areas created by liberal policies. Now, if you need an education on what was then and what isn't today. I'll take you to the small town that my parents grew up in that I've always considered to be my second home. I'll show you where the smaller manufacturing plants were located that disappeared during the 90's. I'll take you to the trailer parks where the primary source of income is crime. How do you fix problems with clueless liberals standing in the way of progress? I'm sorry dude but the so-called educated look like a bunch of fools to me. What you've experienced is what happens when liberal dreams collide with other peoples goals and lives. You don't legislate from a bench ( a bench in a court or the White House). America wasn't set up to be governed that way. I'm sure you you would agree with me but lack the pull that's necessary to control those on your side who prefer that it be governed that way. As I said, the cloak has been removed and the old blue image has been tainted. If any of this  looks extreme to you then that's your problem.In my opinion, it's pretty hard to criticize my association with anti-minority sentiment that exists on my side with all the anti-white sentiment that currently exists and openly expressed that exists on your side. Who has the courage to tell people like Al Sharpton and Obama's preacher to shut the fuck up?

On track? Eric are you even aware what country you live in? You live in a country built on the backs of slaves and on top of the land stolen from indigenous peoples in an act of genocide so thorough that it would become the model for Nazi Germany's holocaust against the Jews. It helped create eugenics and nuclear weapons (and used them both). For the past century it built an economic, political and occupying empire while murdering and stealing from countless millions. It foments rebellions, uprisings and meddles with elections and power struggles in foreign nations. It is the biggest arms seller in the entire world. It kills its own citizens on a whim.

Now for the best part? Many countries have done just a few of these things and have been bombed into submission as a result. Some wiped from the face of the earth forever. The United States got away with it. All of it. The United States is the villain Eric. It is the bad guy of the story. It always has been. That means you're the villain too Eric. Might be time for you to realize that. Then maybe you won't be so much of an unpaid shill for it.

On Monday you lived in an oligarchy. When you woke up Wednesday morning you still lived in an oligarchy. Regardless of who won the election you were going to be living in an oligarchy. Absolutely nothing changed. The same people who owned and ruled the world yesterday, still own and rule the world today. You never had a choice and you never had the power to alter that arrangement in any way. The only thing that happened was that the gladiator fight in the coliseum didn't end up the way you wanted it to. Don't worry though, you will still get your bread. And you will eat it too.
The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner
(11-12-2016, 05:27 PM)Copperfield Wrote:

On track? Eric are you even aware what country you live in? You live in a country built on the backs of slaves and on top of the land stolen from indigenous peoples in an act of genocide so thorough that it would become the model for Nazi Germany's holocaust against the Jews. It helped create eugenics and nuclear weapons (and used them both). For the past century it built an economic, political and occupying empire while murdering and stealing from countless millions. It foments rebellions, uprisings and meddles with elections and power struggles in foreign nations. It is the biggest arms seller in the entire world. It kills its own citizens on a whim.

This country has been on track to be the evil empire since the days when Reagan applied it to the Soviet Union, but in fact HE was the one who created it here in the USA.

Some of what you say above I agree with of course (and you really don't think I didn't know, did you?). I only wish it had fomented more rebellions than it did. I only recall that it sponsored some coups in places like Iran and Guatemala and Chile. And wars for anti-communist dictators as in Vietnam. The Iraq War was a rather extraordinary episode of outright and up-front imperialism ostensibly to "spread freedom around the world" (but that was not a "fomented rebellion;" although one was fomented in response to it). But now we are going to make America great again. That may mean bringing the worst of America's "greatness" that you describe back in full force, without the really great things that you also think are evil. Everything that WAS great about America, you also oppose.

Quote:Now for the best part? Many countries have done just a few of these things and have been bombed into submission as a result. Some wiped from the face of the earth forever. The United States got away with it. All of it. The United States is the villain Eric. It is the bad guy of the story. It always has been. That means you're the villain too Eric. Might be time for you to realize that. Then maybe you won't be so much of an unpaid shill for it.

And you are too. You do nothing to stop America's cruel actions. Just hide under the bed with your gun.

Quote:On Monday you lived in an oligarchy. When you woke up Wednesday morning you still lived in an oligarchy. Regardless of who won the election you were going to be living in an oligarchy. Absolutely nothing changed. The same people who owned and ruled the world yesterday, still own and rule the world today. You never had a choice and you never had the power to alter that arrangement in any way. The only thing that happened was that the gladiator fight in the coliseum didn't end up the way you wanted it to. Don't worry though, you will still get your bread. And you will eat it too.

I may get my bread, but lots of folks will get less or none. Bread in many senses of the word. Lots of folks have been getting less since 1980. They had little before 1933. America was not that great after 1933. But at least it was pretty good until 1980. But now we go back to the "great" America before 1933. That was what was decided.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 122,947 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,579 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,617 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,895 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,831 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,239 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,655 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,007 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green