South Carolina Trump +6.6
Texas dead even
Utah Trump +8.6
Virginia Biden +10.3
Wisconsin Biden +7.1
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The current polling map for July 27 according to fivethirtyeight.com, using 270towin map to share here and for states with no polling. +-3= tossup, +3-9 leaning, +9-15 likely, +15+ solid. Blue states are Democratic, red states Republican. (one poll put Arkansas as +2 Trump, but that's only one poll this year, so I am keeping it lean Republican)

[Image: DWRyn]

As of now, Georgia and Iowa are tilting Republican, Ohio and North Carolina are tilting Democratic, and Texas is tied. I'm not sure about Maine District 2.

Swing state polls on http://fivethirtyeight.com today July 27:

Alaska Trump +1
Arizona Biden +3.2
Arkansas Trump +2
Florida Biden +7.1
Georgia Trump +1.3
Iowa Trump +0.3
Michigan Biden +7.6
Minnesota Biden +9.2
Missouri Trump +5.3
Montana Trump +8.9
Nevada Biden +6.8
New Hampshire Biden +7.6
North Carolina Biden +2.9
Ohio Biden +1.4
Pennsylvania Biden +6.7
South Carolina Trump +7.6
Texas dead even
Utah Trump +8.5
Virginia Biden +10.4
Wisconsin Biden +7.1

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Pipe dream time. But what if Trump loses by a landslide and takes the senate down with him and puts it back to where it was when Obamacare finally passed in the Fall of 2009? This is how it could happen.

[Image: M4LvBM]

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The AP has Trump floats election ‘delay’ amid claims of voting fraud.  CNN has it as well.

We have been sort of waiting for an attempt by Trump to extend his power.  This one is kind of flimsy.  The election laws have specific dates for the election and inauguration.  He has no evidence of the fraud.  Injunctions by the Democrats to the courts should turn any real attempts aside.

But he is feeding his base with conspiracy theory and widening that gap between realities.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
British pollster, so it is, I presume, disinterested.

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/...o-24-july/

Redfield & Wilton swing state polls

Wisconsin, July 19-24, 742 LV

Biden 45
Trump 35

Michigan, July 19-24, 811 LV

Biden 49
Trump 37

Arizona, July 19-23, 858 LV

Biden 46
Trump 38

Pennsylvania, July 19-21, 1016 LV

Biden 48
Trump 41

Florida, July 19-21, 1121 LV

Biden 48
Trump 41

North Carolina, July 19-21, 919 LV

Biden 43
Trump 42

Biden isn't at 50 in any of these polls, but Trump has not crossed 42 yet in any of them.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

fivethirtyeight polls
July 31, 2020

National Biden +8.3
Arizona Biden +3.9
Colorado Biden +13.2
Florida Biden +6.0
Georgia Trump +1.2
Iowa Trump +1.0
Maine Biden +11
Maine 1 Biden +20
Maine 2 Biden +3
Michigan Biden +8.0
Minnesota Biden +7.7
Mississippi Trump +12
Missouri Trump +5.4
Montana Trump +8.4
Nebraska 2 Biden +9
Nevada Biden +6.6
New Hampshire Biden +9.3
North Carolina Biden +2.0
Ohio Trump +0.5
Pennsylvania Biden +6.6
South Carolina Trump +8.0
Tennessee Trump +11.5
Texas Biden +0.6
Utah Trump +8.7
Virginia Biden +10.7
Wisconsin Biden +7.1
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pol.../national/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The current polling map for August 1 according to fivethirtyeight.com, using 270towin map to share here and for states with no polling. +-3= tossup, +3-9 leaning, +9-15 likely, +15+ solid. Blue states are Democratic, red states Republican. (one poll put Arkansas as +2 Trump, but that's only one poll this year, so I am keeping it lean Republican)

[Image: VoRR6]

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Biden is very slightly losing ground.

National Biden +8
Arizona Biden +3.7
Florida Biden +5.8
Georgia Trump +0.7
Iowa Trump +1.3
Michigan Biden +7.7
Minnesota Biden +7.5
Missouri Trump +5.7
Montana Trump +8.8
Nevada Biden +6.3
New Hampshire Biden +9.1
North Carolina Biden +2.1
Ohio Trump +0.3
Pennsylvania Biden +6.4
South Carolina Trump +7.1
Texas Biden +0.2
Utah Trump +8.9
Wisconsin Biden +6.6

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
MSNBC had a law expert reviewing the checks and balances built into the election procedure.  The new Congress, elected in 2020, gets to review who is appointed to the electoral college.  If the election is somehow recognized as flawed or biased, the incumbent's term is still over on January 20 and the Speaker of the House would become president.  From there, through nominating a vice and resignation, Nancy could if she chose put the Democratic ticket in place.

Still a what if, but it shows the futility of trying to make things seem invalid.

I suppose if Trump tried to pretend the congressional elections were invalid too...
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(08-04-2020, 01:03 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: MSNBC had a law expert reviewing the checks and balances built into the election procedure.  The new Congress, elected in 2020, gets to review who is appointed to the electoral college.  If the election is somehow recognized as flawed or biased, the incumbent's term is still over on January 20 and the Speaker of the House would become president.  From there, through nominating a vice and resignation, Nancy could if she chose put the Democratic ticket in place.

Still a what if, but it shows the futility of trying to make things seem invalid.

I suppose if Trump tried to pretend the congressional elections were invalid too...

I think the point was missed.  Trump doesn't want to invalidate the election.  He wants to invalidate the government. Creating disharmony on an epic scale may very well get the job done.  Kristallnacht anyone?
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(08-04-2020, 07:02 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 01:03 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: MSNBC had a law expert reviewing the checks and balances built into the election procedure.  The new Congress, elected in 2020, gets to review who is appointed to the electoral college.  If the election is somehow recognized as flawed or biased, the incumbent's term is still over on January 20 and the Speaker of the House would become president.  From there, through nominating a vice and resignation, Nancy could if she chose put the Democratic ticket in place.

I think the point was missed.  Trump doesn't want to invalidate the election.  He wants to invalidate the government. Creating disharmony on an epic scale may very well get the job done.  Kristallnacht anyone?

I think that's right. He is part of a deliberate (if not necessarily organized) trend to discredit our democratic system, so that people get ever more cynical and just refuse to vote or to participate in a corrupt and useless "system" and just turn on each other instead of valuing the commonweal. Actually, however corrupt and ineffective "the system" is, is largely our own fault; we voted for it. Either by failing to vote, or by voting the wrong way, which usually means the conservative way, too timid and too protective of our perogatives and responsive to our fears, instead of considering what's best for our country; just the reverse I guess of JFK's famous inaugural saying, which I was lucky enough to hear as it was first given.

But if the system can be made deliberately not to work, then the people who might be curtailed in their greedy and cynical activities just get their way, and are free to prey upon the people without restraint. If the "deep state" is discredited and thwarted, and filled with unqualified loyalists and cronies, then no agencies are left with qualified personnel who are experts in their fields and who are sworn to protect and promote the well-being of the people. This is Trump's and Bannon's project, and it only brings to new heights the work of Nixon and Reagan and Bush and Gingrich and McConnell and their followers and fellow agents before them.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-30-2020, 08:41 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The AP has Trump floats election ‘delay’ amid claims of voting fraud.  CNN has it as well.

We have been sort of waiting for an attempt by Trump to extend his power.  This one is kind of flimsy.  The election laws have specific dates for the election and inauguration.  He has no evidence of the fraud.  Injunctions by the Democrats to the courts should turn any real attempts aside.

But he is feeding his base with conspiracy theory and widening that gap between realities.
But if I may play devil’s advocate for a moment...

A report just released last week by an organization called the Transition Integrity Project war-gamed out several scenarios that might occur if the 2020 presidential election is disrupted by Donald Trump. The people who participated in this speculative exercise are a diverse group of former government officials, political consultants, journalists and students.

Here is the link to David Frum’s article in The Atlantic, entitled “Where the System May Break”:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...ng/614842/

This article, in turn, refers to the full report of the exercise as compiled by the project:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documen...on-and.txt

Neil Howe referred to this intriguing report in his Democracy Unplugged podcast today (around the last 10-11 minutes).  And what’s interesting to note is Howe’s unqualified agreement with the prediction that the outcome of the presidential race will not be known on Election Night. Pretty easy call, I would say.  As for the rest of the scenarios...whoa boy!
(08-05-2020, 11:43 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 08:41 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The AP has Trump floats election ‘delay’ amid claims of voting fraud.  CNN has it as well.

But if I may play devil’s advocate for a moment...

A report just released last week by an organization called the Transition Integrity Project war-gamed out several scenarios that might occur if the 2020 presidential election is disrupted by Donald Trump. The people who participated in this speculative exercise are a diverse group of former government officials, political consultants, journalists and students.

Here is the link to David Frum’s article in The Atlantic, entitled “Where the System May Break”:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...ng/614842/

This article, in turn, refers to the full report of the exercise as compiled by the project:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documen...on-and.txt

Neil Howe referred to this intriguing report in his Democracy Unplugged podcast today (around the last 10-11 minutes).  And what’s interesting to note is Howe’s unqualified agreement with the prediction that the outcome of the presidential race will not be known on Election Night. Pretty easy call, I would say.  As for the rest of the scenarios...whoa boy!
Before poring over the report of the Transition Integrity Project (TIP), if you’re even interested, I would strongly suggest listening to the WBUR interview of Rosa Brooks first. The broadcast sheds light on the impetus for conducting the “table-top” war games in the first place, as well some mention of the “800-lb gorillas” in the room who participated in the highly speculative—but worthwhile—political exercise.

This 'War Game' Maps Out What Happens If The President Contests The Election

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/07/28/...p-scenario
The current polling map for August 6 according to fivethirtyeight.com, using 270towin map to share here and for states with no polling. +-3= tossup, +3-9 leaning, +9-15 likely, +15+ solid. Blue states are Democratic, red states Republican. (one poll put Arkansas as +2 Trump, but that's only one poll this year, so I am keeping it lean Republican)

[Image: KQJxy]

Biden is very slightly losing ground.

National Biden +7.6
Arizona Biden +3.6
Colorado Biden +12.6
Florida Biden +5.1
Georgia Trump +0.9
Iowa Trump +1.3
Michigan Biden +7.6
Minnesota Biden +7.0
Missouri Trump +5.9
Montana Trump +8.9
Nevada Biden +5.9
New Hampshire Biden +8.8
North Carolina Biden +2.3
Ohio Biden +0.2
Pennsylvania Biden +6.0
South Carolina Trump +6.4
Texas Trump +0.1
Utah Trump +9.3
Wisconsin Biden +7.4

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I see Trump's electoral map stabilizing in a zone of 125 to 218 electoral votes, at best (for Trump) 51 electoral votes short of a tie that would put the decision between state delegations in the House, and 52 electoral votes short of an outright win. (Quibble: Trump seems to be losing ME-02, which is one electoral vote).

Although it is possible for states to swing more than 10% from one election to the next, such does not happen often. The chance that Biden picks off a state like Alaska, Missouri, Montana, or South Carolina is small. I doubt that Biden will put much effort in campaigning in these states when he can finish Trump off in states that clinch for him. Maybe if Trump makes a quixotic effort to win a state like Oregon or New Jersey he loses both states -- and something that he really needs, such as Texas.

This said, political realignments begin with blowout landslides.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Biden doing slightly better?
Ohio creeping back toward Biden, Texas slinking back to Trump.

National Biden +7.8
Arizona Biden +3.6
Colorado Biden +12.8
Florida Biden +5.2
Georgia Trump +0.9
Iowa Trump +1.4
Michigan Biden +7.8
Minnesota Biden +7.1
Missouri Trump +5.7
Montana Trump +8.9
Nevada Biden +6.1
New Hampshire Biden +9.0
Ohio Biden +0.3
Pennsylvania Biden +6.1
Texas Trump +0.9
Utah Trump +11.4
Wisconsin Biden +7.5

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-07-2020, 11:17 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pol.../national/

National Biden +7.8
Arizona Biden +3.6
Colorado Biden +12.8
Florida Biden +5.2
Georgia Trump +0.9
Iowa Trump +1.4
Michigan Biden +7.8
Minnesota Biden +7.1
Missouri Trump +5.7
Montana Trump +8.9
Nevada Biden +6.1
New Hampshire Biden +9.0
Ohio Biden +0.3
Pennsylvania Biden +6.1
Texas Trump +0.9
Utah Trump +11.4
Wisconsin Biden +7.5
What is Biden's horoscope score? Higher than his earlier challengers?
(08-08-2020, 09:39 AM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 11:17 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pol.../national/

National Biden +7.8
Arizona Biden +3.6
Colorado Biden +12.8
Florida Biden +5.2
Georgia Trump +0.9
Iowa Trump +1.4
Michigan Biden +7.8
Minnesota Biden +7.1
Missouri Trump +5.7
Montana Trump +8.9
Nevada Biden +6.1
New Hampshire Biden +9.0
Ohio Biden +0.3
Pennsylvania Biden +6.1
Texas Trump +0.9
Utah Trump +11.4
Wisconsin Biden +7.5
What is Biden's horoscope score? Higher than his earlier challengers?

Yes, definitely higher than his primary challengers, and easily better than Hillary too. His score is 14-7, or maybe 14-8; not sure now. Sanders was the only one who could have carried the ball with his score also 14-7. These are slightly lower %wise than Trump's 9-4, but with a higher positive number. So, too close to call.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
August 10 poll averages

National Biden +8.2
Arizona Biden +3.0
Colorado Biden +13.0
Florida Biden +5.4
Georgia Trump +0.8
Iowa Trump +1.4
Michigan Biden +7.8
Minnesota Biden +7.2
Missouri Trump +5.5
Montana Trump +8.8
Nevada Biden +6.4
New Hampshire Biden +9.2
North Carolina Biden +2.0
Ohio Biden +0.5
Pennsylvania Biden +6.3
Texas Trump +0.8
Utah Trump +11.3
Wisconsin Biden +7.2

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
CNN has Kamala Harris as Biden's choice for a running mate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michigan plot, October 2020 pbrower2a 51 13,093 12-28-2022, 05:25 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  2021 general election pbrower2a 3 1,291 11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
  GOP Leader Defends Keeping Election Records Secret chairb 0 606 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Election Night 2020 thread pbrower2a 80 20,152 10-14-2021, 01:01 AM
  Presidential election, 2024 pbrower2a 0 796 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM
  Election 2020 Eric the Green 57 35,407 05-26-2021, 11:37 PM
  NJ mailman allegedly tossed 99 election ballots into dumpster Swingline 0 835 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Swingline
  Election Turnout by Generations jleagans 6 3,599 12-21-2020, 01:49 AM
  If Trump loses the next election Mickey123 45 15,412 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM
  2020 Predictions JDG 66 67 23,489 11-05-2020, 10:00 AM