Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
This is the Gordon Lightfoot song I remember being played most often on the radio those days.  It is OK, but I like EF better.

(06-23-2016, 02:14 AM)Galen Wrote: [quote='taramarie' pid='3618' dateline='1466630091']

I have largely been doing that myself but I think it is useful to note when something was overdone at the time.  The Wreck of the Edmund  Fitzgerald was one of them.  I liked it until about the 25,000th time it was played on the radio.  No internet and only two radio stations and one of those was a country and western station.  This is not a condition that the youngsters would be familiar with but was quite common in any but the largest cities.

It was common everywhere; in cities large and small, for decades. The rock stations played the same group of songs too, and FM was not a big alternative.

The advantage of those days was that you learned the songs, and the titles and artists. They played a top 40 list that was fun to follow. Nowadays you have to go to you tube to learn anything. Announcers say virtually nothing, and there's no top 40 review, although some radio stations still play songs over and over. How many times did you hear Somebody That I Used to Know or Call Me Maybe in 2012? IF you listened to the pop stations? But stations became more specialized too starting in the 70s, so they didn't all play the same songs.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The universal prayer

Amen.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I don't know if Peter Townshend saw this documentary by his fellow Brit or not. But it meant a lot to me, and so it was appropriate that I saw this doc not long before Won't Get Fooled Again came out. The song could be another soundtrack for the doc. And the remarkable fact is that the first four notes of the theme of Beethoven's Leonore Overture (featured in the doc) are the same as those of The Who's 1971 song (with the third note repeated). "We are still the offspring of the romantic movement, and still victims of the fallacies of hope" says Kenneth Clark. Of course, The Who's song was also a follow up to John Lennon's well-known song "Revolution," the flip side of Hey Jude. But Peter Townshend took it farther to encompass the entire modern journey and the romantic movement, which surged again in the sixties. Nothing, except maybe this doc, brings revolution and all its dangers and delusions to life as well as this song, and the fact that violent revolution leads to war, but the synth theme is a picture of continuity and the lingering hope within our collective psyche for a movement that has not ended, and can't end until all its goals are accomplished. It's our destiny, despite the recurring cycle of revolt and failure. So I interpret the song positively; that as the new boss becomes the old boss, the movement moves on to the next higher stage, just like Hegel said. And all romantic music, including this song, is a variation on La Marseillaise. So well produced that it contains more music in it than any piece since those earlier romantic days, it's #1 on my rock list.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-23-2016, 08:29 AM)gabrielle Wrote: This is the Gordon Lightfoot song I remember being played most often on the radio those days.  It is OK, but I like EF better.

i really like this one
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-22-2016, 05:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: My favorite by Elton John is from 1972, the soft-rock year.

As it is important for you to know what music of yours i enjoy i will now tell you. This is one of them.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-22-2016, 02:14 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Lightfoot: Is There Anyone Home?

I wonder about that on the internet; a realm made of stone?

Turn around, there's a man behind you with a gun.
This and all of his songs you have posted.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-22-2016, 02:21 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: When I think back on all the crap I've learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
Though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

1973. My Mom gave me a camera for Christmas that year, I think. I still have not converted to digital. Very expensive!
Mama don't take my kodacrome away!
This one especially
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-22-2016, 02:33 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: One more from 1973 for now, from early in the year. Steely Dan's first hit, and still the best. And of course you know, I like wheels going round and round. Do It Again.

love this one
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-18-2016, 04:10 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The Who put out an album in 1975, so naturally I will choose at least two songs from that. But before I get to them, here's an entirely different one that makes my list:

The hauntingly beautiful and ironically romantic piece I'm Not in Love by 10cc
Very much adore this one
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

But anyway i do not feel i need to show you all of the songs i liked. You get the gist i have been listening and enjoying. Difference is i am not bashing those i don't like and there were a few and not bashing an entire turning even though i do not like some songs from then. I like some and do not like some. Will not mention which ones. Not liking some is irrelevant to the ones who do and does not take away from their pleasure. It is real for them just as 3T music is for myself and others.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

OK, thanks Tara. And I am not saying much about what I dislike on this thread. Keeping it about the best.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-23-2016, 05:25 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: OK, thanks Tara. And I am not saying much about what I dislike on this thread. Keeping it about the best.

Good let that positive attitude spread. Big Grin
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

John Entwhistle's best. From Who's Next, 1971. Incredibly scenic. When performing, John's wife used to come out on stage and chase him. #18 on my rock list.

"My Wife"

My life's in jeopardy
Murdered in cold blood is what I'm gonna be
I ain't been home since Friday night
And now my wife is coming after me

Give me police protection
Gonna buy a gun so
I can look after number one
Give me a bodyguard
A back belt Judo expert with a machine gun

Gonna buy a tank and an aeroplane
When she catches up with me
Won't be no time to explain
She thinks I've been with another woman
And that's enough to send her half insane
Gonna buy a fast car
Put on my lead boots
And take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money
But I'll still be alive

All I did was have a bit too much to drink
And I picked the wrong precinct
Got picked up by the law
And now I ain't got time to think

Gonna buy a tank and an aeroplane
When she catches up with me
Won't be no time to explain
She thinks I've been with another woman
And that's enough to send her half insane
Gonna buy a fast car
Put on my lead boots
And take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money
But I'll still be alive

And I'm oh so tired of running
Gonna lay down on the floor
I gotta rest some time so
I can get to run some more

She's comin'!
She's comin'!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
the album "Harvest" came out in 1972

Another from the same album, "Hunky Dory" 1971

From 1980.
---Value Added Cool
Another goodie from 1980 - Neon Knights - Black Sabbath

---Value Added Cool
Oh no, just when Eric was bringing us to the threshold of groovy enlightenment Rags brings us back to 1980!  Chaos reigns!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 480 115,734 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Ragnarök_62
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 22,055 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green