Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate about Gun Control
It looks as if a lone nut took a pot-shot at Representative Steve Scalise (R-LA).
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, V.i

(06-14-2017, 10:16 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: It looks as if a lone nut took a pot-shot at Representative Steve Scalise (R-LA).

I'm reading from the WaPo that the shooter was a "Bernie Bro" who wanted to kill Republicans. It is frightening to think what the response over time may be -- heightened security to the point where we're living in a police state?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/201...9ea54b4681

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/201...9ea54b4681
Here's an indication of what the shooter believed about Representative Steve Scalise:

[Image: facebookpost.png]

This would be enough to suggest a charge of Attempted First-Degree Murder, as it shows a motive. I've said some nasty things about my district's elected stooge of every imaginable corporate lobbyist. (He is exactly that, and I want to see him defeated in 2018). Even if Rep. Scalise were a KKK fascist he would not deserve to be shot.

Here's hoping for a recovery of Representative Scalise from his wounds, no matter how much I hold his politics in contempt. .
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, V.i

(06-14-2017, 01:46 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Here's an indication of what the shooter believed about Representative Steve Scalise:

This would be enough to suggest a charge of Attempted First-Degree Murder, as it shows a motive. I've said some nasty things about my district's elected stooge of every imaginable corporate lobbyist. (He is exactly that, and I want to see him defeated in 2018). Even if Rep. Scalise were a KKK fascist he would not deserve to be shot.

Here's hoping for a recovery of Representative Scalise from his wounds, no matter how much I hold his politics in contempt. .

I have to lay some blame on Trump and his Duginists. They are such assholes, they are really riling people up, especially the Far Left. They are giving all Republicans and even Independent Conservatives a bad name. And guess what. It's all completely according to plan. A house divided will fall, and the Anti Western fiends want our house to fall.
#ImpeachTrump
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Mark 13:22 - "For there shall rise false Christs and false prophets, and they shall give signs and wonders, to seduce, if possible, also the chosen."

(06-14-2017, 01:46 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Here's an indication of what the shooter believed about Representative Steve Scalise:

Yes, political violence is dangerous to both sides, and to our republic. Sorry to see Rep. Scalise injured.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
James T. Hodgkinson died of his wounds from being shot by the police, so there won't be any case against him.

(06-14-2017, 04:22 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:

I have to lay some blame on Trump and his Duginists. They are such assholes, they are really riling people up, especially the Far Left. They are giving all Republicans and even Independent Conservatives a bad name. And guess what. It's all completely according to plan. A house divided will fall, and the Anti Western fiends want our house to fall.

We had a Bernie bot go off the rails with a knife.  I have always found the left on the whole to be more ready to use violence.  Other than the KKK, which probably has more FBI informants than actual members, and some other fringe groups that are very small.  The conservatives really don't have anything that corresponds to Antifa.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(06-14-2017, 09:13 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I've been considering starting a 'Spiral of Violence' thread.  This thread is beginning to share many of the themes.

We have had another incident.  A gunman opened up on a Republican congressional baseball team.  There were enough capitol cops present to prevent significant casualties.

In watching the spiral of violence, there are two extreme possible reactions.  If the bulk of the people say there was a lone nut, emotionally unstable, acting deplorably, the incident can be diminished in coverage and impact by main street and perhaps both partisan institutions and press.  The establishment has no great desire for a true spiral of violence.  Sure, you will even hear call for arms prohibition.

If one sees the Republican  Congress as champions of the Reagan unraveling memes as deplorable enemies of the country and the world, the baseball team becomes an ideal target for a true patriot willing to sacrifice himself for a critical cause.

Thus far, the 'lone nut' concept continues to dominate over the 'patriot' concept in most media and official outlets.  The spiral of violence might not escalate and go ballistic so long as that mode of coverage dominates.

For me, though, I don't doubt that many of the shooters are thinking of the themselves as patriots.  Of course, at this point in the turnings, at this level of the spiral of violence, the line between 'lone nut' and 'patriot' might seem very contentious and unclear.

I don't delve too deeply in the extreme partisan media outlets.  Is anyone pushing for violence?  Is anyone bypassing the lone nut style of covering violence in favor of pushing it?   "Here is a patriot.  Let us follow his lead.  Let us not ignore our duty."

Thomas Jefferson Wrote:The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

We have become a tinderbox waiting to blow. If a right-winger shoots "libs" in retaliation for yesterday's act this country is going to go up in flames, we will have our Bleeding Kansas.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(06-15-2017, 02:42 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 04:22 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:

We had a Bernie bot go off the rails with a knife.  I have always found the left on the whole to be more ready to use violence.  Other than the KKK, which probably has more FBI informants than actual members, and some other fringe groups that are very small.  The conservatives really don't have anything that corresponds to Antifa.

Oh look, more proof you are nothing but a stupid hack, pushing the "Portland terrorist was a leftist" lie. Rolleyes
It was inevitable that the right wing mouthpieces like Michael Savage would blame Sen. Sanders for speaking what we on the left consider the truth, for the attack on Rep. Scalise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/po....html?_r=0

I consider that it is the policies that the right-wing promote and enact, policies represented here by Galen, that are to blame for the hostile atmosphere which Republicans face today. No-one can reasonably expect the rhetoric to be toned down in the face of such horrible attacks on our lives by Republicans today. The truth can be bitter and hard to swallow, and people need to be motivated to act against the right-wing policies-- in legal and democratic ways.

I hold the shooter responsible for his actions. They were an attack on democracy. I pray for Rep. Scalise' recovery. And the Tyson lobbyist too. It's reasonable to say that people need to keep their hostility in check. Respect is due to all persons, although criminals must be stopped. However, to use this shooting as an excuse for people on the left to stop telling the truth, is not going to fly. Nor is it an excuse for people on the right to ignore the violence and threats that have come from their side too.

Nuts come in all political flavors. The Left has its share. Both sides need to restrain their nuts, and be as respectful as we can toward all during this difficult 4T era, which is likely to get more difficult, seeing as we have intractible problems and nothing lasting has been done to address them yet in 9 years and counting of fourth turning crisis.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-15-2017, 06:34 AM)Odin Wrote: We have become a tinderbox waiting to blow. If a right-winger shoots "libs" in retaliation for yesterday's act this country is going to go up in flames, we will have our Bleeding Kansas.

Bleeding Kansas featured organized groups.  We're still closer to the point where it can be blamed on lone nuts.  While I won't lightly dismiss the notion of a spiral of violence going critical, we're far more than one incident away.
(06-15-2017, 10:16 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 06:34 AM)Odin Wrote: We have become a tinderbox waiting to blow. If a right-winger shoots "libs" in retaliation for yesterday's act this country is going to go up in flames, we will have our Bleeding Kansas.

Bleeding Kansas featured organized groups.  We're still closer to the point where it can be blamed on lone nuts.  While I won't lightly dismiss the notion of a spiral of violence going critical, we're far more than one incident away.

In any case we are sure seeing the fruits of vile extremist partisanship.

I'm so ready for the Silent Majority to start putting down extremists of all stripes with extreme prejudice. Extremists of all stripes are enemies domestic. Defend the Constitution, lay waste to the extremists.
#ImpeachTrump
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Mark 13:22 - "For there shall rise false Christs and false prophets, and they shall give signs and wonders, to seduce, if possible, also the chosen."

(06-15-2017, 09:48 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: It was inevitable that the right wing mouthpieces like Michael Savage would blame Sen. Sanders for speaking what we on the left consider the truth, for the attack on Rep. Scalise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/us/po....html?_r=0

I consider that it is the policies that the right-wing promote and enact, policies represented here by Galen, that are to blame for the hostile atmosphere which Republicans face today. No-one can reasonably expect the rhetoric to be toned down in the face of such horrible attacks on our lives by Republicans today. The truth can be bitter and hard to swallow, and people need to be motivated to act against the right-wing policies-- in legal and democratic ways.

I hold the shooter responsible for his actions. They were an attack on democracy. I pray for Rep. Scalise' recovery. And the Tyson lobbyist too. It's reasonable to say that people need to keep their hostility in check. Respect is due to all persons, although criminals must be stopped. However, to use this shooting as an excuse for people on the left to stop telling the truth, is not going to fly. Nor is it an excuse for people on the right to ignore the violence and threats that have come from their side too.

Nuts come in all political flavors. The Left has its share. Both sides need to restrain their nuts, and be as respectful as we can toward all during this difficult 4T era, which is likely to get more difficult, seeing as we have intractible problems and nothing lasting has been done to address them yet in 9 years and counting of fourth turning crisis.

Right-wing politics in the US are a cult, people like Galen and Kinser are completely brainwashed.
This IS really the "spiral of violence" thread right now. That's OK Wink

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-16-2017, 10:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This IS really the "spiral of violence" thread right now. That's OK Wink

Looks like one answer is for the sane, quiet, reasonable peace loving moderates to shoot the extremists.  Wink
(06-16-2017, 01:33 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 10:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This IS really the "spiral of violence" thread right now. That's OK Wink

Looks like one answer is for the sane, quiet, reasonable peace loving moderates to shoot the extremists.  Wink

That sounds like what Mr. X 84 is saying. He's got his weapons ready Smile

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
They are *still* talking about that shooting at the baseball field. What is the big deal? These things happen all the time.

There was another one the same day, another two days after than and then again yesterday:

Saturday: http://www.10tv.com/article/police-ident...-nightclub
Thursday: https://www.abqjournal.com/1018851/death...spree.html
Same day: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lates...s-48036675

We average more than three of these a week,
(06-18-2017, 11:33 AM)Mikebert Wrote: They are *still* talking about that shooting at the baseball field.  What is the big deal? These things happen all the time.

There was another one the same day, another two days after than and then again yesterday:

I agree, but who are we?  This one gets noticed because it's in one of our media capitals and it involves a celebrity of sorts.  There is also some irony here, and the media loves that.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-20-2017, 11:58 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(06-18-2017, 11:33 AM)Mikebert Wrote: They are *still* talking about that shooting at the baseball field.  What is the big deal? These things happen all the time.

I agree, but who are we?  This one gets noticed because it's in one of our media capitals and it involves a celebrity of sorts.  There is also some irony here, and the media loves that.

There may also be a difference between an attempted assassination versus a run of the mill deranged shooting.
(06-20-2017, 06:46 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(06-20-2017, 11:58 AM)David Horn Wrote:

There may also be a difference between an attempted assassination versus a run of the mill deranged shooting.

Yes I think that's a huge difference.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Political Polarity To Reverse On Gun Control, States' Rights? Anthony '58 24 2,472 02-04-2017, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Galen
  More Blacks See Gun Ownership As Civil Rights Cause Dan '82 3 485 07-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Debate about the Vietnam War Anthony '58 66 7,212 06-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green