Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
This is one of my favorites from a band that I didn't really listen to that much, and the video is constantly taken down, so it might not be on here for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFxMXlZYbo
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
Cracker, from the album Kerosene Hat, 1993.

1993 and 1994 were the years of "post grunge"--a string of commercial rock hits following in the wake of Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  I was largely dismissive of these bands at the time, but maybe I liked them better than I thought I did, because it's not unpleasant hearing some of them again.  (Silverchair is still no good, though.)  So here are a few honorable mentions:

And this one.  This is not one of Radiohead's better songs, in fact, the part that I liked best about this song may actually have been lifted from a Hollies song from the 70s, but Radiohead would go on to greater things.  The band had met with little success in their home country, the UK, and they were about ready to throw in the towel when this song became an unexpected hit in the States and other countries around the world.

A lovely song, both musically and lyrically, about a woman trapped in a bad marriage (to an addict, possibly).  It was a huge hit in spite of not having been released as a commercial single.

Eddie Vedder wrote this song while he was still a teenager in high school.  It is much superior to any of the Justin Bieber songs Eric the Green has posted.  "It's obvious, I don't know why anyone would deny it." Wink

"Better Man," by Pearl Jam, from the album Vitalogy, 1994.

The second-most-disturbing development this week was songwriter Leonard Cohen passing away, on Monday. Cohen germinated in the same cultural cell-culture dish as my Mom, in Jewish Montreal in the 1940s. In his memory and honor, I’d like to share with you a song he wrote that well-captures today’s mood:

"Everybody knows that the dice are loaded.
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed.
Everybody knows the war is over.
Everybody knows the good guys lost.
Everybody knows the fight was fixed.
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich.
That's how it goes.
Everybody knows.

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking.
Everybody knows that the captain lied.
Everybody got this broken feeling.
Like their father or their dog just died.
Everybody talking to their pockets.
Everybody wants a box of chocolates,
And a long-stem rose.
Everybody knows.

Everybody knows that you love me, Baby.
Everybody knows that you really do.
Everybody knows that you've been faithful.
Ah, give or take a night or two.
Everybody knows you've been discreet.
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes.
And everybody knows.

Everybody knows, everybody knows.
That's how it goes.
Everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes.
Everybody knows.

And everybody knows that it's now or never.
Everybody knows that it's me or you.
And everybody knows that you live forever,
Ah, when you've done a line or two.
Everybody knows the deal is rotten.
Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton
For your ribbons and bows.
And everybody knows.

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming.
Everybody knows that it's moving fast.
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past.
Everybody knows the scene is dead.
There's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows.

And everybody knows that you're in trouble.
Everybody knows what you've been through.
From the bloody cross on top of Calvary,
To the beach of Malibu.
Everybody knows it's coming apart.
Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
Before it blows.
And everybody knows.

Everybody knows, everybody knows.
That's how it goes.
Everybody knows."

- Leonard Cohen, “Everybody Knows” (1988).

Leonard Cohen, inspiration to millions, R.I.P.

https://youtu.be/Lin-a2lTelg
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Celine Dion ft Andrea Bocelli The Prayer
(1998-99)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prayer...elli_song)

Street performer Cal Morris' violin version:
https://youtu.be/X_MkpWSQUQI

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
"Lake of Fire," performed by Nirvana for the album MTV Unplugged, 1994.  

Quote:In a 2013 interview, MTV Unplugged producer Alex Coletti remembers Cobain purposely wanting to perform the Meat Puppets covers in keys slightly out of his range, so his voice would sound strained. See "Lake of Fire," a surrealistic fantasy about the afterlife whose images are pinched straight from the Book of Revelation, where the pinch in Cobain's voice makes him sound less like an ambassador of youth than some wizened pappy staring into middle-distance from his rocking chair. An especially canny choice when placed before "All Apologies" and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?," two songs that made the band sound in touch with evils much older and more mysterious than corporate rock. 

--http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...e-20150403
The deep blue of trip hop.

"Roads," by Portishead.  From the album Dummy, 1994.

"Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way
Regardless of what they say

How can it feel, this wrong
From this moment

Storm.. in the morning light
I feel
No more can I say
Frozen to myself

I got nobody on my side
And surely that ain't right
And surely that ain't right

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way

From this moment

[INSTRUMENTAL]

This moment

Ohh, can't anybody see
We've got a war to fight
Never found our way

From this moment
How can it feel, this wrong"
Quote:Trip hop is a subgenre of electronic music that originated in the early 1990s in the United Kingdom, especially Bristol.[3] Deriving from later idioms of acid house,[4] the term was first used by the British music media and press as a way to describe the more experimental variant of breakbeat emerging from the Bristol Sound scene, which contained influences of soulfunk and jazz.[4][5] It has been described as "Europe's alternative choice in the second half of the '90s", and "a fusion of hip hop and electronica until neither genre is recognisable".[6] Trip hop music fuses several styles and has much in common with other genres; it has several qualities similar to ambient music, and its drum-based breakdowns share characteristics with hip hop.[4] It also contains elements of R&Bdub and house, as well as other electronic music. Trip hop can be highly experimental.[4]
[/url]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop

A couple more good ones from that same album by Portishead.  I didn't really catch onto them until their later, second album.  

Also in 1994--Soundgarden, "Black Hole Sun."

Here is a 2013 version by a German pianist called Kai Schumacher, for those of you who don't appreciate grunge in its natural form.   Smile

Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg
Or perhaps Paul Anka?  Tongue

Maybe gabrielle plans to post this when she gets to 1996, but just in case, I thought her obit post of this song deserved a repost here. Good music.

By the way, I got to see another gabrielle, Gabrielle Roth, perform too. An interesting new agey music and rhythm therapist, musician and promoter. Roth discovered Sharon, according to gabrielle's obit post.

Yes, for those like me who don't appreciate grunge in its original form, the piano version of the Soundgarten song was nice.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-27-2016, 12:02 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Maybe gabrielle plans to post this when she gets to 1996, but just in case, I thought her obit post of this song deserved a repost here. Good music.

<snip vid>

By the way, I got to see another gabrielle, Gabrielle Roth, perform too. An interesting new agey music and rhythm therapist, musician and promoter. Roth discovered Sharon, according to gabrielle's obit post.

Yes, for those like me who don't appreciate grunge in its original form, the piano version of the Soundgarten song was nice.

Hmmmm...... 'Kay.   Here's something not nice for Eric, but awesome for Rags. Tongue
---Value Added Cool
Now something from the timeless band hailing from the 1970's and going in the 1990's.  Here's a psychedelic vid.

So, yeah, a 1970's flashback.

Best watched after some MJ.
---Value Added Cool
(11-27-2016, 12:02 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Maybe gabrielle plans to post this when she gets to 1996, but just in case, I thought her obit post of this song deserved a repost here. Good music.

From what I've read, the 100 Days, 100 Nights album came out in 2007.  And it was Gabriel Roth, not Gabrielle Roth, who discovered her, according to the NY Times piece I read--this guy, it seems.

Quote:Yes, for those like me who don't appreciate grunge in its original form, the piano version of the Soundgarten song was nice.

I'm enjoying this guy's stuff.  Here's some thrash metal for you--"Slayer meets Satie," as a youtuber commented on this video.  

(11-27-2016, 05:20 PM)gabrielle Wrote:

From what I've read, the 100 Days, 100 Nights album came out in 2007.  And it was Gabriel Roth, not Gabrielle Roth, who discovered her, according to the NY Times piece I read--this guy, it seems.

OK.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
From Post (1995), my favorite album from Björk, the Queen of EDM.

It makes perfect sense that Björk should be the progeny of an electrician and a fortune teller.  Smile

Just another day on the Generational Theory forums...

(from 2000)

Not going to be anywhere near a favorite of mine, but at least she can sing and the tune and arrangment are listenable. How's that for a ringing endorsement! But, it seems the female singer trend got a boost from Alanis Morissette and Sheryl Crow and others like her in the mid-90s.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 396,668 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green