Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
"I Hear a Symphony" has declined on my list because Diana's vocal loses some of its quality toward the end, whereas "Stoned Love" seems on the rise. But, still good enough to post, I guess. It has a unique melody and charm.

I remember being disappointed when Mr. James Brown bumped it from #1 with what I thought was a really trashy song. But I like that song better now; not well enough for me to link to it as a possible best song ever, but I realize it's a nifty tune. It became his most popular and famous song: "I Got You" (aka I Feel Good).
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
This next one was a jewel of folk-rock, written by Sylvia of Ian & Sylvia. It went to the top of the charts in a flash. It builds toward a great climax. I got to meet the band much later. You Were On My Mind, by We Five

Live at Hollywood Palace, introduced by Fred Astaire
https://youtu.be/8_f16t1JGHo

comment on another video: I remember listening to "When I woke up this morning" when I was 19 years old and had a 1957 Chevy. There was just something about that melody that makes it one of the best songs ever. Beverly Bivens was just so damn cute!

Ian & Sylvia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_%26_Sylvia

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Monster hit from Summer 1965, by a young couple in love and in a rebellious mood; written by the guy. Sonny and Cher, I Got You Babe. Folk rock at its finest and most popular; Sonny & Cher affected fashions and helped pave the way for hippiedom. Just another example, too, of the classical-rock confluence; those two styles are not apples and oranges. Recorded back in the time when melody, singing and instrumental arrangement mattered, and made hits.

Sonny and Cher had quite a career, although not everyone liked them. "Laugh at me, and I'll cry for you," Sonny said on another of his hits that summer. Too bad, of course, that Sonny lost his way, and then died early. Silent gen cohort. Cher also had a hit recording of Bob Dylan's "All I Really Wanna Do" in 1965, as did The Byrds.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I think you just compare music to what you grew up with. If it does not compare to what you know it must be shit. Context matters. Not just the sound. Sounds like someone never left the 2T.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-02-2016, 01:49 AM)taramarie Wrote: I think you just compare music to what you grew up with. If it does not compare to what you know it must be shit. Context matters. Not just the sound. Sounds like someone never left the 2T.

The 3T American pop and rock music music left me, not the other way around. Noise is not music. I enjoy the actual music made in the 3T, like the ones I'm posting on the other thread; not the shit.

Mainstream pop left me even earlier, of course (generally-speaking, as always); in the 1970s; except for some of the leftover 60s artists. Not stuck in the 2T, because there was shit in the 2T too. Tea for 2!

(actually I just liked writing Tea for 2; I don't hate that song Wink ) (did you even know there was a song called Tea for 2, Tara? TTT.....)
(you may remember, bubble gum music dates back at least to 1968)

Uh, you may remember that I "grew up with" the music of Beethoven and Mozart. So I guess, if some music doesn't compare with Beethoven and Mozart, it must be shit. OR, maybe I know a little bit about what is music, and what ain't; Tara?

As Seth might say, HEY!
NO, context doesn't "matter." As Bill Clinton might say, "It's the music, stupid!" Uh, yes, it IS the sound!

Enjoy the music.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-02-2016, 02:38 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 01:49 AM)taramarie Wrote: I think you just compare music to what you grew up with. If it does not compare to what you know it must be shit. Context matters. Not just the sound. Sounds like someone never left the 2T.

The 3T music left me, not the other way around. Noise is not music. I enjoy the actual music made in the 3T, like the ones I'm posting on the other thread; not the shit.

The 3T moved on to something else. Generally younger people lead the way with a newer sound. You were left behind in the 2T. Sometimes there is a point to the noise. But we know you will never understand that. I stepped out my comfort zone and got to know it and was rather surprised at how deep some of it can be (context wise). The sound just heightens the message. But.....that is something you do not understand either. You would rather bash it. Easier i guess.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The 3T American pop and rock music music left me, not the other way around. Noise is not music. I enjoy the actual music made in the 3T, like the ones I'm posting on the other thread; not the shit.

Mainstream pop left me even earlier, of course (generally-speaking, as always); in the 1970s; except for some of the leftover 60s artists. Not stuck in the 2T, because there was shit in the 2T too. Tea for 2!

(actually I just liked writing Tea for 2; I don't hate that song Wink ) (did you even know there was a song called Tea for 2, Tara? TTT.....)

Uh, you may remember that I "grew up with" the music of Beethoven and Mozart. So I guess, if some music doesn't compare with Beethoven and Mozart, it must be shit. OR, maybe I know a little bit about what is music, and what ain't; Tara?

As Seth might say, HEY!
NO, context doesn't "matter." As Bill Clinton might say, "It's the music, stupid!"

Enjoy the music.

You mean the 1950 movie Tea for Two with Doris Day? Of course. I was a film student who is keen on old movies.

What you call music may be something entirely different to someone else Eric. Likewise just because I am a graduate with knowledge of art does not mean my opinion is more important nor gives me the room to criticize what is art and what isn't. That would merely be an opinion. You can make objective judgements on art or music, but instead you make comments bashing those who like certain music. Like for example noise is for boys. Implying they never grew up. THAT IS PERSONAL. That is NOT objective. If you want to enjoy the music DO JUST THAT and stop bashing those who are different from you! I thought you were a lefty who wants people to be accepted? I think it is only those that YOU accept and to hell with anyone else who you do not agree with. Same with music. You want me to stop trashing your thread....stop trashing certain music and making personal attacks on it and those who like it. Peace makes peace. You are a man who likes to preach the peace and love movement.....right? Act on what you preach please.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

You stepped out of your comfort zone. I don't need to feel bad; the music bashes me. No thanks; the message is not enough for me. If they want to provide a message, they can write a book. I might even read it, or listen to it if they read it. Some of those guys do good interviews. But I don't like their, whatever you call it.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-02-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:

As Seth might say, HEY!
NO, context doesn't "matter." As Bill Clinton might say, "It's the music, stupid!"

Enjoy the music.

You mean the 1950 movie Tea for Two with Doris Day? Of course. I was a film student who is keen on old movies.

What you call music may be something entirely different to someone else Eric. Likewise just because I am a graduate with knowledge of art does not mean my opinion is more important nor gives me the room to criticize what is art and what isn't. That would merely be an opinion. You can make objective judgements on art or music, but instead you make comments bashing those who like certain music. Like for example noise is for boys. Implying they never grew up. THAT IS PERSONAL. That is NOT objective.
Well, but I deleted that. You just like to jump on me as fast as you can. You are one angry girl.

Quote: If you want to enjoy the music DO JUST THAT and stop bashing those who are different from you! I thought you were a lefty who wants people to be accepted? I think it is only those that YOU accept and to hell with anyone else who you do not agree with. Same with music. You want me to stop trashing your thread....stop trashing certain music and making personal attacks on it and those who like it. Peace makes peace. You are a man who likes to preach the peace and love movement.....right? Act on what you preach please.

This argument is over, again. This won't go anywhere; it never does. I will act AS I please, and so will you.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-02-2016, 03:00 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:

As Seth might say, HEY!

Enjoy the music.

What you call music may be something entirely different to someone else Eric. Likewise just because I am a graduate with knowledge of art does not mean my opinion is more important nor gives me the room to criticize what is art and what isn't. That would merely be an opinion. You can make objective judgements on art or music, but instead you make comments bashing those who like certain music. Like for example noise is for boys. Implying they never grew up. THAT IS PERSONAL. That is NOT objective.
Well, but I deleted that. You just like to jump on me as fast as you can. You are one angry girl.

Quote: If you want to enjoy the music DO JUST THAT and stop bashing those who are different from you! I thought you were a lefty who wants people to be accepted? I think it is only those that YOU accept and to hell with anyone else who you do not agree with. Same with music. You want me to stop trashing your thread....stop trashing certain music and making personal attacks on it and those who like it. Peace makes peace. You are a man who likes to preach the peace and love movement.....right? Act on what you preach please.

This argument is over, again. This won't go anywhere; it never does. I will act AS I please, and so will you.
You deleted it because you know it was wrong.

Yes when you do not have a valid comeback you would rather back away while preaching for us to be peaceful while being the exact opposite of what you preach. Just like war hungry boomers in office.

As for angry I have every right to defend those who are trampled on constantly.

"I will act as I please." Sounds like the childish comments singing to the tune of, "you're not the boss of me!"
I do not think it is only noise that makes one a boy...

Yes, I will always defend those who are attacked. That even includes and has included you before Eric.....
from your white knightess in shining armour. Big Grin Tongue
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

We interrupt this argument again to bring you the song that was #2 all summer behind I Got You Babe. The original came in #2 behind the imitator, you might just say Smile

Bob Dylan has said this is his best record. I don't know 'bout that, but it is worth mentioning as one of the best songs ever. And again, the expert band behind him counts (and the organist Al Kooper!), along with the lyrics. Verbal-minded folks in the anglosphere frequently don't understand that the sound is more profound a "message" than mere words. Some say, that his put-down songs in this period resulted from people knocking him for going folk-rock. Heck, he practically invented it. Give him credit!

"Rolling Stone magazine listed the song at number one in their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" list"
Seems a fair bet that the magazine was named after the song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Rolling_Stone

This song made the cry, "How does it feel!" into part of the "language that we use"

"Like A Rolling Stone"

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you ?
People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall."
You thought they were all kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel?
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody's ever taught you how to live out on the street
And now you're gonna have to get used to it
You said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And say do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel?
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
A complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel?
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
They're all drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made
Exchanging all precious gifts
But you'd better take your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse
When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

Hey, maybe I should write a put down song for Tara? Maybe? nah...........

All in good time, my pretty! Allll in good tiiimme.........

The diplomat may be a reference to Dylan himself, who is pictured on his previous album cover holding what (it is said) is a Siamese cat.

[Image: bringing-it-all-back-home.jpg]

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
My favorite Beatles single from 1965; get your ticket to ride, continuing on our backwards tour through time. Late Spring or early Summer. Unless you have a ticket, don't listen! Wink

The Beatles' biggest hit of the year followed shortly after this one, "Yesterday." I like it but not enough to post it. Like several songs from this period in late 1964-mid 1965, it has become a standard that many people know as one of the most-played and one of the best songs ever. It was largely Paul's song and showed off his talent as a writer and singer of more and greater romantic ballads to come, like "Michelle" and "Here There and Everywhere," and it was a mournful song. "Oh I believe in yesterday!" Sounds like what Taramarie accuses me of.

Another all-time big hit song from the same time as "Yesterday," was "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. It was another complaint, like Bob Dylan too. It was, after all, just before the new sun and the new age broke through. They were good times, but people (especially younger people) knew something was missing in our culture. So, it came the next year. Now, I believe in that yesterday, and that year, because people didn't follow through enough with the breakthrough, and develop it enough, and so culturally and politically we got the shaft again. We may now have to wait for the next Awakening for more inspiring and uplifting sounds and words to come through. But at least, in the 4T, the music is more "happy." And "pray"er-ful too.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
From the spring of 1965, I always enjoyed this Supremes hit, which followed rapidly after their previous one into the #1 slot on the national charts. This process also happened in 1964, and I found that it took longer for me to adopt the first hit as my favorite than the follow-up, both times. Both times too, the follow-up did less well on the charts in the SF Bay Area than the first. The Motown sound was great as usual; and as usual, at its best, along with the song-writing, for The Supremes and their great lead singer. This is about love regained, instead of love going wrong. This is one of those songs that builds to a strong climax. There were a few of those in 1965!

The Motown Sound was largely supplied by "The Funk Brothers" according to this wikipedia article. I also saw the documentary mentioned in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funk_Brothers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_My_Arms_Again

This #1 hit was succeeded by writers' Holland-Dozier-Holland and The Funk Brothers musical team's follow up, " I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) " which is sometimes mentioned as being one of the biggest hits ever. I liked it, but not enough to post here as a best song ever. But it was as if The Four Tops had become the male Supremes; the song was so similar to Supremes' songs like "Baby Love." The Four Tops own follow-up hit " The Same Old Song " even admitted it, mentioning The Supremes in the lyrics as well as suggesting that they copied them in the title!

Trump vs. Hillary?
https://youtu.be/FDQva2j-xTQ

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-02-2016, 01:39 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Monster hit from Summer 1965, by a young couple in love and in a rebellious mood; written by the guy. Sonny and Cher, I Got You Babe. Folk rock at its finest and most popular; Sonny & Cher affected fashions and helped pave the way for hippiedom. Just another example, too, of the classical-rock confluence; those two styles are not apples and oranges. Recorded back in the time when melody, singing and instrumental arrangement mattered, and made hits.

Sonny and Cher had quite a career, although not everyone liked them. "Laugh at me, and I'll cry for you," Sonny said on another of his hits that summer. Too bad, of course, that Sonny lost his way, and then died early. Silent gen cohort. Cher also had a hit recording of Bob Dylan's "All I Really Wanna Do" in 1965, as did The Byrds.

It's so weird how music like that actually paved the way for hippiedom. Well the first time I've actually heard this song was in Groundhog Day, but I know you actually remembered the song when it came out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
Yes indeed. It took some time for it to make #1 on my own current fave list in 1965, and for Like a Rolling Stone to make it to my #2 underneath it. But meanwhile, I had already heard "Just You" in its early release, so I knew how talented and wonderful Sonny & Cher really were.

Meanwhile, this is the golden age of Motown we are moving backwards into now, so I'm going to mention a few more of their hits in coming posts. It took some time for "Stop! in the Name of Love" to make it to the top of my favorites list too, because of the way it starts; but once it gets going, it has a uniquely smooth and poignant feeling. It's often chosen these days as the best-loved and most famous Supremes song, but some years ago it was a different one that held that position; the one I like best from 1964, to be posted in a little while......

I saw this link on the video, to another person's choice of the best from the "golden decade 1965-1974," all in the mainstream pop realm. Some choices in common, naturally.
https://www.facebook.com/GoldenDecadeOfMusic19651974/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Winter and Spring of 1965 saw a rich crop of best songs ever. This one by the Temptations is often considered the best ever, or the most popular, in the history of Motown. It reached #1 on the US charts. Not on the San Francisco station though; too many others competed with it here. But more recently on an SF oldies station, for one year at least, it was voted all-time #1. Written by Smokey Robinson of the Miracles, "My Girl" was the second of his "best song ever" hits that pairs up with his earlier masterpiece "My Guy" by Mary Wells, which we'll get to in 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Girl_(T...ions_song)

One great thing about 1965 was how many of my favorites were also big hits, even #1 hits.

This song is yet another outstanding example of how the hitmakers of the sixties used classical orchestration, played by expert studio musicians, in combination with rock/R&B sounds, and romantic melodies, to make a record truly delightful (actually the Detroit Symphony is among those performing on this track). That is something missing in much of later pop music. Besides the one in my signature line, "Pray" by Justin Bieber, how many others are there? If there are others that anyone knows that employs this feature, you can post them in the other threads. I know electronica can do some neat things to make a pop hit nifty in more-recent times, but in most cases and overall, the sixties music remains tops of the pops in my opinion in musicianship.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
A country/pop singer who had a rich catalog of nifty and funny tunes was Roger Miller. One stands out though for its mastery, grace and swagger, "King of the Road," from early 1965. It was his biggest hit.

Other cool Roger Miller songs:
Chugalug 1964
Do-Wacka-Do 1965
Dang Me 1964 (including interview with Dick Clark)
Kansas City Star 1965

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Hey, I can't really leave this one out, speaking of humor; especially if you are a liberal. It must have come out at the end of the year though. Of course, this is topical song humor at its finest ever. That Was the Year That Was. Some of these were broadcast on the 1965 TV program "That Was The Week That Was" with David Frost; sort of a John Oliver with music. And now, heeeeeeere's Tommy!

https://youtu.be/MKbMgPOvX48?list=PLVllg...6nd5JkOfLI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Was_t...r_That_Was

And then of course, The elements song
https://youtu.be/bfrv8Y9746g

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The single version of "Goldfinger," sung by "Dame" Shirley Bassey and written and arranged powerfully by John Barry, came out in Spring 1965 and quickly went to #1 in many places. I didn't like the movie version that much, but this version blew me and everyone else away. But now it's very difficult to find this version. I posted it on you tube and it's been blocked. I don't know if it still is, but I can post it here. It's another 1965 song with one of the best climaxes ever; and it's not heard on the album/soundtrack version. She really brings it, and she's still going strong as of 2016.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
This song was so beautiful, droll and spooky that I had to have it. It wasn't a big hit, so pretty soon the record stores in my neighborhood didn't have it, so I called around, and my friend and I rode all the way across town into the foothills to buy it. I guess that was part of my "sporting life." Later he had a big hit, but I didn't like it too much. It didn't, uh, eh eh eh turn me on. Ian Whitcomb and Bluesville: "This Sporting Life," early 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Whitcomb

Comments on that "other" song, which Ian sang in falsetto all the way through:

Ahhhhh...I was 16 years-young in 1965 and remember this song so well and all the kids talking about it. The good ol' days. LOL!!

regina whitcomb 4 months ago
Ian thanks all of you for watching and commenting. You Turn Me On, of course, was just the beginning. Ian is still performing, writing, acting, and speaking. He's quite the renaissance man.

Susan Stewart 6 months ago
Omg! This goes way back. Love it!

Potawatomi13 4 months ago
This was SOOOOOO much fun to sing in the car!

William McAnally 1 year ago
I remember laughing whenever this song played on the radio. I was 10 years old then and thought it sounded kind of weird. It must have worried my parents.

stevewonderr 3 years ago
Ian the "Justin Beiber" of 1965?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 480 115,736 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Ragnarök_62
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 22,056 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green