Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
(06-05-2016, 12:34 AM)taramarie Wrote: Good least now we have clarified it is only just your taste. I never said i do not agree with your taste. I think of everyone's differences of taste rather than my own personal taste. I never knocked your picks btw. I really do not care about what you choose. I knocked the assumption that they are "the best" of a certain year. Reason being for again, differences in taste for everyone. But if they are just your picks for your taste, have at it.

The only important thing for me is that people get the music. I know it's a rare thing here, for people to get the music that I post, but it's fun to try anyway.

Experience, I think, is a better word than "taste." There's so much communicated in music that it goes far beyond the surface.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-05-2016, 01:32 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 12:34 AM)taramarie Wrote: Good least now we have clarified it is only just your taste. I never said i do not agree with your taste. I think of everyone's differences of taste rather than my own personal taste. I never knocked your picks btw. I really do not care about what you choose. I knocked the assumption that they are "the best" of a certain year. Reason being for again, differences in taste for everyone. But if they are just your picks for your taste, have at it.

The only important thing for me is that people get the music. I know it's a rare thing here, for people to get the music that I post, but it's fun to try anyway.

Experience, I think, is a better word than "taste." There's so much communicated in music that it goes far beyond the surface.

and i think people understand that. It is just different songs mean different things to people. It is all taste. Age has nothing on emotion and memories.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

And the music ITSELF communicates something, from the composer and performer. What it might mean for each person (such as the memories it evokes, etc.) is something added on to that.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
This one from 2001 is an immersion in pure evocative feeling. Indescribable beauty.

My #3 all-time pick in the new age ambient genre.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-05-2016, 01:51 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: And the music ITSELF communicates something, from the composer and performer. What it might mean for each person (such as the memories it evokes, etc.) is something added on to that.

It is like all forms of art. It takes on a different meaning for everyone. Communicates to them and yes the composer, performer, writer puts a piece of themselves into the music also. Which is why I think a great song depends on the opinion of the individual. As it will be personalized whether it be audience or its creators.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Eric, this should interest you.

Music Preferences by Personality Type
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-05-2016, 02:25 AM)taramarie Wrote: Eric, this should interest you.

When I can see that you get some of the music I post, then I might be interested in some theories that you post, but on some other thread. Meanwhile, I will continue to post the "best songs ever," and others will too. You probably will continue not to get the ones I post. I see no evidence that you do. That's OK; that's life. Live and let live Smile

From 1989, my favorite among the best pieces of David Parsons, master of ambient, electronic and world music. Taramarie might be interested to know that he's from New Zealand. From the album Himalaya

The music of David Parsons is the most spiritual that I know. It is mystical music of the highest order, because it takes you into the experience of the mystics, rather than just talking about it. He brings it to life. Rishikesh is a town in India associated with religious devotees, and it's where The Beatles went to visit the Maharishi in the sixties. Some of the spirit of the sixties revival of oriental music and spirituality is invested in this music, and its traditions that go back millennia in India are heard in this music as well.

#4 on my list of picks of the best of the ambient/electronic genre.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-05-2016, 02:47 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

When I can see that you get some of the music I post, then I might be interested in some theories that you post, but on some other thread. Meanwhile, I will continue to post the "best songs ever," and others will too. You probably will continue not to get the ones I post. I see no evidence that you do. That's OK; that's life. Live and let live Smile

From 1989, my favorite among the best pieces of David Parsons, master of ambient, electronic and world music. Taramarie might be interested to know that he's from New Zealand. From the album Himalaya

The music of David Parsons is the most spiritual that I know. It is mystical music of the highest order, because it takes you into the experience of the mystics, rather than just talking about it. He brings it to life. Rishikesh is a town in India associated with religious devotees, and it's where The Beatles went to visit the Maharishi in the sixties. Some of the spirit of the sixties revival of oriental music and spirituality is invested in this music, and its traditions that go back millennia in India are heard in this music as well.

Eric, it is not a theory. Personalizing art is just a fact. For evidence, i will let others chime in on if they think that is correct. One does not even have to go to an art school to know that. As for your music.....remember i liked some of your music on your website. Or have you forgotten that?
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-05-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:

Eric, it is not a theory. Personalizing art is just a fact. For evidence, i will let others chime in on if they think that is correct. One does not even have to go to an art school to know that. As for your music.....remember i liked some of your music on your website. Or have you forgotten that?

MBTI is a theory; one I give some creedence to, but certainly any application of any such theory to art is just speculation. The proof is ONLY in the listening. Either you hear what is being presented to you, or you don't. No, Tara; others chime in on their picks of the best songs ever, or about those songs; anything else is severely off-topic.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-05-2016, 03:03 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote:

MBTI is a theory; one I give some creedence to, but certainly any application of any such theory to art is just speculation. The proof is ONLY in the listening. Either you hear what is being presented to you, or you don't. No, Tara; others chime in on their picks of the best songs ever, or about those songs; anything else is severely off-topic.

I just shared it for interest. For fun. Do I believe it? Of course not. It said I would like religious music which i despise. Especially since I am an atheist. It means nothing to me. The closest would be organ music which reminds me of Phantom of the Opera which I love. It is a haunting music. But if it is religious it taints it for me as i cannot connect with that meaning. So wow I agree with you! Big Grin
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-05-2016, 01:54 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This one from 2001 is an immersion in pure evocative feeling. Indescribable beauty.

My #3 all-time pick in the new age ambient genre.

New age. I actually had that type of music as a background sound to my final year animation. It heightened the mood of the scene wonderfully especially as it was mostly music. You should know as an artist I do get the subtle messages within music and as someone who writes stories and turns them into films it aids in story telling as well as bringing out the mood of a scene/the characters mood and ultimately the audience.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-05-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote: As for your music.....remember i liked some of your music on your website. Or have you forgotten that?

IF I remember correctly, you pointed out some songs you already knew. The point, however, is to discover some that you didn't know; just as I did with your unicorn song. Have you discovered or re-discovered anything on this thread yet?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Good. I'll be posting that "Phantom of the Opera" piece in due course, which I learned to play myself too.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-05-2016, 11:30 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 02:57 AM)taramarie Wrote: As for your music.....remember i liked some of your music on your website. Or have you forgotten that?

IF I remember correctly, you pointed out some songs you already knew. The point, however, is to discover some that you didn't know; just as I did with your unicorn song. Have you discovered or re-discovered anything on this thread yet?

I pointed out ones i knew AND i listened to your favourite ones which i thought were ok but not my thing. You probably will not understand that of course. That is just from your selection. We have different tastes Eric. I think my generation, including myself, like more older songs and have a wider range of music favourites than boomers do overall. They think their music is the shit and some think theirs is the best of any era. And some think that makes them an authority on music. Enya is my discovery just on this thread. My discoveries you also would put down as you do not like a lot of my favourites. I am always discovering new music. Just i do not broadcast it nor put much emphasis on it. It is no big deal.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Yes, I think music is a big deal. I don't think your range of appreciation is very wide, as you claim, but then I also do have some areas I usually do not like. Generally, the genres that Gen X like, I do not. With exceptions of course. But I am willing to listen, and if I like it, it does not matter what generation or genre it's from, or who has what "taste" or who's "thing" it is. If it's good, I like it. And if I like it, I think it's good.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-06-2016, 02:36 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Yes, I think music is a big deal. I don't think your range of appreciation is very wide, as you claim, but then I also do have some areas I usually do not like. Generally, the genres that Gen X like, I do not. With exceptions of course. But I am willing to listen, and if I like it, it does not matter what generation or genre it's from, or who has what "taste" or who's "thing" it is. If it's good, I like it. And if I like it, I think it's good.

You are so very wrong and do not know me well enough to claim that as proof. I like r&b, metal, opera, pop, all types of rock music, a bit of disco, some new age, some electronic, and more. Shall I continue? I even put up some classical music on my own thread....songe d' automne. Beautifully haunting. So Eric, you are extremely wrong.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-06-2016, 03:56 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 02:36 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Yes, I think music is a big deal. I don't think your range of appreciation is very wide, as you claim, but then I also do have some areas I usually do not like. Generally, the genres that Gen X like, I do not. With exceptions of course. But I am willing to listen, and if I like it, it does not matter what generation or genre it's from, or who has what "taste" or who's "thing" it is. If it's good, I like it. And if I like it, I think it's good.

You are so very wrong and do not know me well enough to claim that as proof. I like r&b, metal, opera, pop, all types of rock music, a bit of disco, some new age, some electronic, and more. Shall I continue? I even put up some classical music on my own thread....songe d' automne. Beautifully haunting. So Eric, you are extremely wrong.

I won't argue that point. But I claim that I know music. It's one of my fields, just as art is one of yours. I always have more to learn, but I do know more than you do about it. You are not too open to what I share, but you would benefit if you were. But that does not make me "always right" or infallible or anything like that, nor does it mean I can't learn from you and others and discover new music that others share. We disagree that music is only a matter of personal opinion, or that whether a song is a "best ever" or whatever is only subjective. It is both personal and objective too. So if you disagree with that, I may not convince you by writing or arguing, but you don't need to insult or berate me if you disagree. We can be civil as much as we can, if we choose to be. And everyone can share what they think is the best. So, enjoy the music. More later. I'm going to work the election today and tomorrow.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-06-2016, 12:43 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 03:56 AM)taramarie Wrote:

I won't argue that point. But I claim that I know music. It's one of my fields, just as art is one of yours. I always have more to learn, but I do know more than you do about it. You are not too open to what I share, but you would benefit if you were. But that does not make me "always right" or infallible or anything like that, nor does it mean I can't learn from you and others and discover new music that others share. We disagree that music is only a matter of personal opinion, or that whether a song is a "best ever" or whatever is only subjective. It is both personal and objective too. So if you disagree with that, I may not convince you by writing or arguing, but you don't need to insult or berate me if you disagree. We can be civil as much as we can, if we choose to be. And everyone can share what they think is the best. So, enjoy the music. More later. I'm going to work the election today and tomorrow.

I am not too keen about what you share because of your high and mighty attitude about it. Yes, I know art. But even with my topic of expertise i say the opinion of it is in the hands of its viewers.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 478 106,115 05-17-2019, 11:21 PM
Last Post: taramarie
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 20,374 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green