Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
(09-19-2016, 02:02 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:  That's how musicians got around. Not aircraft or motor-coaches as they now do. Not horse-drawn carriages as they might have four decades earlier. Not by gondola (inspiring the many barcarolles) in the canals of Venice. Not steamships on the Mississippi River. Take the A Train refers to an elevated train... to Harlem?

That must be the thing....

Quote:Horses offered the clip-clop that one often hears in Strauss waltzes.  Jet aircraft might offer some monotonous sound not suggesting any music at all. I can't imagine anyone getting musical inspiration from a jet engine. A motorcycle? No sonic charm. Space craft? Submarines? Ludicrous. Trains? The regular chugging of the locomotives and the irregular whistles make some musical suggestions.
That's got that swing.

I dunno tho; the national #1 hit song of 1967 featured a jet plane sound at the end.

Quote:This is a 1944 recording of a work with some very different culture behind it... It is definitely inspired by the sounds of a locomotive.

What song are you referring to? The video does not play.

Quote:Were I a composer I might think of a toy train with stations in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Monterrey. There has never been such a railroad, but no child is ever going to let that reality squelch such an imagination.

Our railroad goes from SF to San Jose, and long ago we had a railroad from San Jose to Santa Cruz. There are railroad tracks along the Santa Cruz Boardwalk too. There was a proposal to bring back the train to Santa Cruz, but it was blocked because mountain residents didn't want the noise.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-19-2016, 02:02 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Horses offered the clip-clop that one often hears in Strauss waltzes.  Jet aircraft might offer some monotonous sound not suggesting any music at all. I can't imagine anyone getting musical inspiration from a jet engine. A motorcycle? No sonic charm. Space craft? Submarines? Ludicrous. Trains? The regular chugging of the locomotives and the irregular whistles make some musical suggestions.

(09-19-2016, 02:46 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
Quote:This is a 1944 recording of a work with some very different culture behind it... It is definitely inspired by the sounds of a locomotive.

What song are you referring to? The video does not play.

It's also about music... and historical perspective never is far away from the topic of culture or events in time here.

Big-Band Era music was undeniably fun as well as masterful (see also Strauss waltzes and polkas, and just about everything the beatles were involved in)... and thus it must be considered great.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

It's definitely about music; "songs" is just the name I'm using because of the One Direction song. Yes, music illuminates the times in which it was composed.

Sir George Thomas Thalben-Ball CBE (18 June 1896 – 18 January 1987) was an organist and composer who, though originally from Australia, spent most of his life in Britain.

George Thalben-Ball composed several anthems and organ works, of which the best known is his meditative Elegy for organ, which was played, for example, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales. This piece originated in an improvisation which Thalben-Ball played at the end of a live BBC daily religious service during World War II, when the service finished a couple of minutes earlier than expected. So many listeners to the broadcast telephoned the BBC to ask what the composition was, that he decided to write down his improvisation as well as he could remember it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Thalben-Ball

Bjork "Army of Me" is from 1995, and fits those times. The wiki article says it was well-received by music critics. I receive it well too. Unlike Rags' post, it is at least tangentially related to the current posts on this thread because of the "transportation" question. It would fit on the "lost years" thread as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Me...B6rk_song)

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-19-2016, 10:13 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: It's also about music... and historical perspective never is far away from the topic of culture or events in time here.

Big-Band Era music was undeniably fun as well as masterful (see also Strauss waltzes and polkas, and just about everything the beatles were involved in)... and thus it must be considered great.

So, post more examples! I only have a few more to go, in temporal order going backwards. And they are the obvious choices. And the title of one of those kinda addresses the question of "songs" or "music."

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Lincoln's powerful words, as applicable to both the American Civil War and World War II, Aaron Copland again.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(09-18-2016, 08:18 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It fits in the 3T thread, then. "best songs ever, the lost years" is on the 1990s.

I put the album said song goes with there, silly. Tongue

You'll do what you want, I know. So if you want to be consistent with what you are saying here, don't bother me if I post something about Justin Bieber anywhere I want. JB is far better than what you often post from the 3T, in MY book. And it's a good book.

It depends on what the word, "bother" means of course. It's up to you to determine if any snark wrt he who shall not be mentioned "bothers" you.  It's like Captain Planet always says, "The Power is yours".

Quote:Jump into the canyon. Find out about a time that you have dismissed, but may have something you can appreciate. If I can do that, even on that other thread, you can do that too.

Not my style, dude.

Quote:As for Terror-marie, it's unfortunate that someone quoted that (expletive deleted). GO fish in the lake and stfu. I knew she wouldn't post something constructive. What an (expletive deleted). Whatever she says, is to be disregarded and ignored. Period. I don't suffer total fools.

I'll ignore those muppet show posts too. Not appropriate.

I don't think it was Tara who put the muppet show there. Anyhow, I think it's a reaction to attempts to censor the thread.  PPl don't care for censors and I think you'd agree to that, right?[/quote]
---Value Added Cool
My point was, Rags, if you say "I am posting in the wrong thread," when and if I put up a Justin Bieber song or comment, as you often do, then you are not being consistent or fair if you defend what you did here on this thread. But you can say what you want.

(09-19-2016, 04:34 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Not my style, dude.

As you know, I am guiding the thread back in time, and my posts reflect that. I am making the audacious attempt to cover the best songs ever, and others can contribute. Since your best songs ever are in the 3T era, that's where to post them; I mean, if you want to respect the subject of threads. No-one says you have to. We have also passed back beyond the 2T. But if you can tie it into the subjects being discussed, that's cool in my opinion.

Quote:I don't think it was Tara who put the muppet show there. Anyhow, I think it's a reaction to attempts to censor the thread.  PPl don't care for censors and I think you'd agree to that, right?

No it wasn't she who put the muppet show here. Anyone who can read (which doesn't include terrormarie) knows I wasn't tryng to "censor" anything. Anyone who begins a thread has the option of telling people when they are off subject, and/or suggesting what a more appropo place to post it is. So no-one can try to censor me for saying that, either. Terrormarie tries, however.

Terrormarie can stfu. She is the worst poster on the site right now. I will never read her posts if I can help it. I will never click on "read this post." She is as bad as vandal and kinser. She is malevolent and disreputable.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-19-2016, 04:19 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Lincoln's powerful words, as applicable to both the American Civil War and World War II, Aaron Copland again.

Not playing. Please try again.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Play it, Sam!

Casablanca. One of the best movies ever; thrilling plot, great acting, and some of the best movie lines ever. And the #2 movie song ever, "As Time Goes By," according to critics. #1 is coming up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Time_Goes_By_(song)

Originally from 1931, and from the movie of 1942.

Edit: another great version by one of my favorite oldie but goodie people, Jimmy Durante.

If You're Young At Heart (1953) (big hit for Frank Sinatra)

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Eric The Green Wrote:My point was, Rags, if you say "I am posting in the wrong thread," when and if I put up a Justin Bieber song or comment, as you often do, then you are not being consistent or fair if you defend what you did here on this thread. But you can say what you want.

Come again. How is posting that particular song in the wrong thread if I think it's one of my "best songs ever" ?.  Next, since I found it recently, I don't know how to stick in the order of things you'd like.  [ Perhaps you can hit Dan'82" up and see if he order posts in threads. ] I really don't really care about the order of posts as long as the posts still make sense.

Quote:As you know, I am guiding the thread back in time, and my posts reflect that. I am making the audacious attempt to cover the best songs ever, and others can contribute. Since your best songs ever are in the 3T era, that's where to post them; I mean, if you want to respect the subject of threads. No-one says you have to. We have also passed back beyond the 2T. But if you can tie it into the subjects being discussed, that's cool in my opinion.

1. Yes, there's a 3T songs thread.
2. There's a "best songs ever thread".
3. Now what happens if anyone, not just me finds something on Youtube's huge song list that would be "before" the latest year?

Quote:No it wasn't she who put the muppet show here. Anyone who can read (which doesn't include taramarie) knows I wasn't trying to "censor" anything. Anyone who begins a thread has the option of telling people when they are off subject, and/or suggesting what a more appropo place to post it is. So no-one can try to censor me for saying that, either. Taramarie tries, however.
1.  I fixed the ad-hom.  I do that when somebody appends an "obtuse" to you, so I'm being fair.
2. Uh, the censorship was a reference to Eric The Green having a hissy fit due to Rags posting a song out of order.  I even might be even be able to insert a post in the "correct" place, but I don't expect Dan'82 to just give me the key to his server.

Quote:Taramarie can stfu. She is the worst poster on the site right now. I will never read her posts if I can help it. I will never click on "read this post." She is as bad as vandal and kinser. She is malevolent and disreputable.

I won't get involved with the above. It's none of my business.
---Value Added Cool
(09-19-2016, 11:08 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Come again. How is posting that particular song in the wrong thread if I think it's one of my "best songs ever" ?. 
Yes, you have a point.

Quote:Next, since I found it recently, I don't know how to stick in the order of things you'd like.  [ Perhaps you can hit Dan'82" up and see if he order posts in threads. ] I really don't really care about the order of posts as long as the posts still make sense.

In this case, posting in the other thread would have fit better and made more sense. It was only ever a suggestion. So, you knew "how to stick in the order of things you'd like." But I understand you might want to just post what you think is a best song ever, and that I am probably going to disagree with your choice if it's from the 3T era. Sometimes you might not be clear on where in time we are, too. Gabrielle has chosen to do something similar with the 3T era thread, going forwards. She is not "censoring" anything though.

So, if you want to post a best song ever "out of order," I'll just resume with the order. If you want to respect my suggestion, you can post a 3T era song in the other "lost years" gabrielle-started thread, and a 4T rock song in your thread. You don't want me to post a JB song in your 4T rock thread, do you? I think you had a bit of a hissy fit when I did. So the other poster created another thread more appropo of 4T pop.

Quote:1. Yes, there's a 3T songs thread.
2. There's a "best songs ever thread".
3. Now what happens if anyone, not just me finds something on Youtube's huge song list that would be "before" the latest year?

What I am doing is waiting until I get to the period when the song came out. I even started making a little list and finding the dates on wiki after we passed to before the era of my top 400 list. Sometimes I forget one, like Pete Seeger's "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy," since it was only heard on a TV appearance, and wasn't a hit record or anything I knew from those 1968 days; but luckily the first words of the song tied in to where I was, 1942. So, connections and tie-ins; see?

Quote:1.  I fixed the ad-hom.  I do that when somebody appends an "obtuse" to you, so I'm being fair.
2. Uh, the censorship was a reference to Eric The Green having a hissy fit due to Rags posting a song out of order.  I even might be even be able to insert a post in the "correct" place, but I don't expect Dan'82 to just give me the key to his server.

Sorry if it felt like a hissy fit. You startled me! It was just a suggestion of where to post the song. At the start of this thread, it seemed you were trying to disrupt it, according to what you wrote; maybe because I posted a JB song there.

I don't know if you can understand or appreciate or agree with what I am trying to do here. But I can't censor you; I am not empowered to do that even if I wanted to. You are free to post what you want, where you want.

Quote:I won't get involved with the above. It's none of my business.

Good. I wish that she would take the same attitude in regard to what I discuss with others. But it's hopeless.

I think we have more than covered this matter.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Most people agree on this one by the Andrew Sisters, although they had many other hits. But this is the one I choose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Woogie_Bugle_Boy

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
OK, I'll do it.

(09-19-2016, 04:19 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Lincoln's powerful words, as applicable to both the American Civil War and World War II, Aaron Copland again.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-19-2016, 06:29 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Play it, Sam!

Casablanca. One of the best movies ever; thrilling plot, great acting, and some of the best movie lines ever. And the #2 movie song ever, "As Time Goes By," according to critics. #1 is coming up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Time_Goes_By_(song)

Originally from 1931, and from the movie of 1942.

My favorite movie, too. We're talking about music and not movies. If William Shakespeare had written a screenplay in modern English, this would be the screenplay. I also see an allusion to the Divine Comedy, in which Nazi Germany and its occupied and satellite countries are Hell, America and Britain are Paradise, and a place like Casablanca, a way-station to America is Purgatory. Well, before ISIS, Nazis were the closest things to demons in human form, right?

It's not so much an introduction of any song, but who can forget the stirring incident in which the Nazis start their rendition of Die Wacht am Rhein, only for the refugee patrons of Rick's American Bar to out-sing them in the Marseillaise.

I noted on another thread that the movie in which "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was introduced, Keep 'em Flying, was the #1 hit on Pearl Harbor Day. Had the fascists made note of that they might have been leery of attacking America. Americans may not have wanted war, but they were emotionally prepared. America would need to militarize its economy, but that could be done quickly and without undue hardship. The movie was a comedy but it showed America deadly-serious in its will for survival.

Pop culture reflects the mass attitudes of the time, and America was not the soft, weak, vulnerable prey that some thought it was.

String of Pearls, 1942.

Ironically the clarinet part was to be played by the great trumpeter Harry James, but he got a lip injury and could not play. A B-flat clarinetist can play any trumpet part without transposition, and Glenn Miller gave the part to clarinetists. Nobody would now think of playing the trumpet part in the original on a trumpet today!

Pennsylvania 6-5000.

Enough said.

Does anyone have any question of the greatness of the pop music of the Big Band Era?

My only comparisons for pop music:

George Gershwin (which we will surely get to fairly soon)

Strauss waltzes (then low-brow)

Mozart at his best

Handel at his best

Mozart and Handel were pop music in their time.

I will certainly post La Marseillaise when we get to 1792 (but not the American Marseillaise of 1814); I even wrote that all romantic music is based on it. Don't know if it's true, but it certainly inspired the young artists and musicians in its time. "The finest spirits were enraptured" said Kenneth Clark.

As for String of Pearls, your video didn't play again, but I already posted it Smile Yes I knew about the other song too. If you or no-one else has anything more to post from the forties, then I'll plunge back into the thirties (but which starts with 1940). Speaking of movie songs, it's the best and signature Disney song.

Click the video twice (the second time click on "watch this video on you tube") and watch on you tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Wish_upon_a_Star

Kind of a contrast with the reality of the time. 4T music was a lot like that, and is today. I guess I like these kind of idealistic star, sky and better day songs, don't I? It'd figure.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,383 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,451 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green