the best songs ever: the lost years
Thanks for the warning. No fun.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
One awesome thing leads to another on youtube:

Ugly Kid Joe -> Kix (much better than that cereal stuff)    Big Grin

---Value Added Cool
Damn, why didn't radio stations ever play this stuff?

Svenska !

---Value Added Cool
(09-12-2016, 08:30 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Damn, why didn't radio stations ever play this stuff?

Don't know, I stopped listening to the radio a long time ago.
Here is one of my favorite rock albums.  It is largely considered by fans to be the band's greatest work.

Quote:Like Nirvana — a group that they "paved the way for," according to the band's Krist Novoselic — Faith No More would zig where outsiders would urge them to zag. Their 1990 rap-metal volley "Epic" was a Top 10 hit, but they followed its album, The Real Thing, with the avant-metal terrordome Angel Dust, which Entertainment Weekly called, "probably the most uncommercial follow-up to a hit record ever." 

The opening song.

"RV."  For a young guy of 24, Mike Patton seemed quite concerned with the miseries of ageing.  This song is very funny, though.  "Yeah, I married a scarecrow..."

This song is just balls to the wall insane, and frightening.  "Applause!  Applause!  APPLAUSE!!"  

In this song, a criminal faces his sentence: "I am what I do...I am what I've done!! And I'm sorry!!"  As the song ends, Patton's screaming squalor fades away before a sternly beautiful organ and choral "amen."*  For a long time I assumed they'd lifted that part from some bewigged composer of old, but apparently it's the band's own composition.

*synthesized, sadly, too bad there wasn't enough on the budget to hire a real choir

Quote:However — in America at least — returns would only diminish. 1992's defiantly weird, chaos-crammed Angel Dust would only go gold. [Guitarist Jim] Martin would acrimoniously split from the band after a series of public spats. Too heavy for the post-grunge pop hits of the Verve and Third Eye Blind, too arty to work comfortably with the nu-metal knuckle-draggers they spawned, it wasn't clear where the band fit in by the end of the decade. 

Both quotes from: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featur...k-20150512

(09-12-2016, 11:13 PM)gabrielle Wrote: Here is one of my favorite rock albums.  It is largely considered by fans to be the band's greatest work.

Quote:Like Nirvana — a group that they "paved the way for," according to the band's Krist Novoselic — Faith No More would zig where outsiders would urge them to zag. Their 1990 rap-metal volley "Epic" was a Top 10 hit, but they followed its album, The Real Thing, with the avant-metal terrordome Angel Dust, which Entertainment Weekly called, "probably the most uncommercial follow-up to a hit record ever." 

The opening song.

"RV."  For a young guy of 24, Mike Patton seemed quite concerned with the miseries of ageing.  This song is very funny, though.  "Yeah, I married a scarecrow..."

This song is just balls to the wall insane, and frightening.  "Applause!  Applause!  APPLAUSE!!"  

In this song, a criminal faces his sentence: "I am what I do...I am what I've done!! And I'm sorry!!"  As the song ends, Patton's screaming squalor fades away before a sternly beautiful organ and choral "amen."*  For a long time I assumed they'd lifted that part from some bewigged composer of old, but apparently it's the band's own composition.

*synthesized, sadly, too bad there wasn't enough on the budget to hire a real choir

Quote:However — in America at least — returns would only diminish. 1992's defiantly weird, chaos-crammed Angel Dust would only go gold. [Guitarist Jim] Martin would acrimoniously split from the band after a series of public spats. Too heavy for the post-grunge pop hits of the Verve and Third Eye Blind, too arty to work comfortably with the nu-metal knuckle-draggers they spawned, it wasn't clear where the band fit in by the end of the decade. 

Both quotes from: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featur...k-20150512

If one is going to mention the most versatile vocalizations of Mike Patton in the 1990's (in particular his contribution to Angel Dust) one should not leave out his contributions to Mr. Bungle which I consider more interesting that his work with Faith No More (of which I am a huge fan).

And the classic Carousel which also features audio samples from the magnificent cyclone pinball machine.

The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner
Bands that offer the kind of sound that Faith No More presents should not be considered best songs ever. Yes, that's my opinion; I don't like bleeding in my ears from the "knuckle-draggers." I had to pause it. And, contrary to some Gen Xer opinion, yes, we need "more" faith. Who knows, maybe other performers can bring out the potential in the songs of bands like those. BUT I liked "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure. They must be entering their "good period" now in this thread, which I have noticed before. Now that was a good sound and a good song, and I liked the video too. Perhaps you'll post some other good songs by The Cure. I think there's probably more where that came from.

I can see how Mr. Bungle could be "interesting." I'll be posting the REAL "Carousel" soon on the other thread.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-14-2016, 06:49 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Bands that offer the kind of sound that Faith No More presents should not be considered best songs ever. Yes, that's my opinion; I don't like bleeding in my ears from the "knuckle-draggers." I had to pause it. And, contrary to some Gen Xer opinion, yes, we need "more" faith. Who knows, maybe other performers can bring out the potential in the songs of bands like those. BUT I liked "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure. They must be entering their "good period" now in this thread, which I have noticed before. Now that was a good sound and a good song, and I liked the video too. Perhaps you'll post some other good songs by The Cure. I think there's probably more where that came from.

I can see how Mr. Bungle could be "interesting." I'll be posting the REAL "Carousel" soon on the other thread.

Knuckle-dragger? Ummmm, Mike Patton sings opera... In multiple languages...

He has one of the widest vocal ranges of anyone alive today and is easily the most talented singer of our generation (or any generation).

He can basically sing anything. Jazz? Yep.

Cover the Commodores? Yep.

Beatboxing while covering Lady Gaga? Yep.

Mike Patton, and really everyone he surrounds himself with, are about as evolved musicians as you are going to ever find.
The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner
"Mike Patton, and really everyone he surrounds himself with, are about as evolved musicians as you are going to ever find."

Maybe so, and the other group was Mr. Bungle was OK; but then why does he condescend to produce or collaborate with those knuckle-dragging sounds I heard on the Faith No More video I heard here? I say there's just no excuse for such ear-bleeding. These musicians should have USED their artistic talent!

But I'll listen to some of the others you posted.

So he can sing, much better than most Gen Xers (not saying much, since most of them scream and screech). Nat Cole was the best. Johnny Mathis: much better. That was the time when vocal performance was at a premium. There were fine rock and soul singers in the sixties, but it was much more about the total sound and the song, then.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-14-2016, 06:14 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 02:25 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: "Mike Patton, and really everyone he surrounds himself with, are about as evolved musicians as you are going to ever find."

Maybe so, and the other group was Mr. Bungle was OK; but then why does he condescend to produce or collaborate with those knuckle-dragging sounds I heard on the Faith No More video I heard here? I say there's just no excuse for such ear-bleeding. These musicians should have USED their artistic talent!

But I'll listen to some of the others you posted.

So he can sing, much better than most Gen Xers (not saying much, since most of them scream and screech). Nat Cole was the best. Johnny Mathis: much better. That was the time when vocal performance was at a premium. There were fine rock and soul singers in the sixties, but it was much more about the total sound and the song, then.

Can you feel it, see it, hear it today?
If you can't, then it doesn't matter anyway
You will never understand it cuz it happens too fast
And it feels so good, it's like walking on glass
It's so cool, it's so hip, it's alright
It's so groovy, it's outta sight

"If I speak at one constant volume
At one constant pitch
At one constant rhythm
right into your ear,
you still won't hear!
You still won't hear!
You still won't hear!
You still won't hear!
You still won't hear!
You still won't hear!
You still won't hear!"
In 1992 Uncle Tupelo released their beautiful, largely acoustic album called March 16-20. 1992.

Another band that decided to zig when they were told to zag.  From wikipedia:  

Quote:In 1990, R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck attended an Uncle Tupelo concert at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Georgia. Buck was particularly impressed with the band's rendition of the Louvin Brothers' "Great Atomic Power", and contacted the band after the show. Uncle Tupelo singers Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy exchanged their interests in bluegrass music with Buck, and decided to collaborate on an acoustic music project in the future.[1]

Two years later, the alternative rock of bands such as Nirvana broke into the mainstream. Farrar was irate about the pressure from the music industry to sound like the trend:[2]
Quote:This should insulate us from that industry bullshit, people looking for the next Nirvana. I don't think anybody is the next Nirvana, certainly not us. People always talk about the next Beatles, the next Elvis. You can't predict that stuff.

Uncle Tupelo's frustrations with their record label Rockville Records grew when the label refused to pay the band's royalties for the sales of their first two albums. This resulted in a "nothing-to-lose context" for the recording of a third album. In what was a sharp contrast to the popular music styles at the time, Uncle Tupelo decided to record an album of folk songs.[3]

The album ended up outselling both of their previous albums combined.  It is my personal favorite.

This one was written and sung by Jay Farrar:

And this one by Jeff Tweedy:

A lovely instrumental:

And these two songs are covers of older songs, or of traditional folk tunes, so they don't really count as 3T songs entirely, but UT did an excellent job with them so here:

The instrumental part that starts about halfway through this track is very beautiful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_16%E2%80%9320,_1992
From the album Diva

Automatic for the People by REM also came out in 1992.  A number of good songs on here.

Probably the only song by Stone Temple Pilots I liked.  I never really cared for their sound, but this is a pretty good song.  

I never really cared much for Alice in Chains either, but I know many people insist that they are great, even the best of all the grungers, so perhaps there is more to them than I am got out of them.  I will leave that for others to post, though.
OK, maybe I'll post one song.  I like this one, and the video too.  From Dirt, 1992.

Little bit of 60s in the 90s.

From the self-titled 1992 album by Blind Melon:

I'll do Eric the courtesy of warning him away from this one, but...

Anyone who doesn't like this song is a MUTHAF*CKIN CAPTIALSIT PIG, YO!!!!!!!

(From the self-titled album by Rage Against the Machine, 1992)

90s psychedelia--Okie style.  Big Grin

Though Flaming Lips had been around for a long time, with a number of albums under their belt, their 1993 album Transmissions From the Satellite Heart contained their breakthrough hit single, "She Don't Use Jelly."

I remember the first time I saw the Flaming Lips, in a tiny basement bar in St. Louis, just before SDUJ became a hit.  They had none of the colorful props and outrageous spectacle that they would later become known for,* it was just three guys on stage with a modest light show on the backdrop.  I was deeply impressed all the same, still one of my favorite concert memories!  They poured their hearts into that show.  Heart

*meaning, scenes like this
[Image: flaminglips_53.jpg]
[Image: acl_021.jpg]
[Image: the_flaming_lips.jpg]
[Image: Flips_Live.jpg]
[Image: The_Flaming_Lips_Red_Rocks_Big_hands_2006_07_29.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,386 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 396,758 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green