Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
Probably the only song by Stone Temple Pilots I liked.  I never really cared for their sound, but this is a pretty good song.  

I never really cared much for Alice in Chains either, but I know many people insist that they are great, even the best of all the grungers, so perhaps there is more to them than I am got out of them.  I will leave that for others to post, though.
OK, maybe I'll post one song.  I like this one, and the video too.  From Dirt, 1992.

Little bit of 60s in the 90s.

From the self-titled 1992 album by Blind Melon:

I'll do Eric the courtesy of warning him away from this one, but...

Anyone who doesn't like this song is a MUTHAF*CKIN CAPTIALSIT PIG, YO!!!!!!!

(From the self-titled album by Rage Against the Machine, 1992)

90s psychedelia--Okie style.  Big Grin

Though Flaming Lips had been around for a long time, with a number of albums under their belt, their 1993 album Transmissions From the Satellite Heart contained their breakthrough hit single, "She Don't Use Jelly."

I remember the first time I saw the Flaming Lips, in a tiny basement bar in St. Louis, just before SDUJ became a hit.  They had none of the colorful props and outrageous spectacle that they would later become known for,* it was just three guys on stage with a modest light show on the backdrop.  I was deeply impressed all the same, still one of my favorite concert memories!  They poured their hearts into that show.  Heart

*meaning, scenes like this
[Image: flaminglips_53.jpg]
[Image: acl_021.jpg]
[Image: the_flaming_lips.jpg]
[Image: Flips_Live.jpg]
[Image: The_Flaming_Lips_Red_Rocks_Big_hands_2006_07_29.jpg]

"I take pride as the King of Illiterature."

Nirvana's final studio album, In Utero, released in 1993.  Stranger and darker, yet perversely more pop and melodic.  

1993/1994: The Cranberries, an indie/folk pop rock band from Limerick, Ireland becomes one of the biggest bands of the 90s.

From their debut album of 1993, Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

And these from their 1994 album, No Need To Argue.

One of their most popular songs here, if youtube view counts mean anything, though all of these songs were hits.  You can hear the influence of American grunge on this one.  

"It's the same old theme since 1916
In your head, in your head, they're still fighting.
With their tanks, and their bombs, and their bombs, and their guns,
In your head, in your head, they are dying."

(06-17-2016, 02:44 AM)Galen Wrote: I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

This is another one from that movie that I really liked. Of course, I have the movie on VHS Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9zJBOqNhs
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(09-27-2016, 07:42 PM)Bronsin Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:44 AM)Galen Wrote: I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

<snip vid>

This is another one from that movie that I really liked. Of course, I have the movie on VHS Smile

Yes, that's my top movie, man. Cool

It would be a wonderful time if the Pentagram really did get invaded by druggie space aliens.
---Value Added Cool

It is from a movie? I thought it was just from a music video that i am unfamiliar with.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-27-2016, 10:10 PM)taramarie Wrote:

It is from a movie? I thought it was just from a music video that i am unfamiliar with.

Yes, it was.  The movie was called Heavy Metal.  It was a close to a musical as an Xer ever gets to.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-27-2016, 11:35 PM)Galen Wrote:

Yes, it was.  The movie was called Heavy Metal.  It was a close to a musical as an Xer ever gets to.
Ah interesting! Aw c'mon musicals aren't all that bad. Happy Feet, sharks tale. snow white, beauty and the beast and An American Tail was awesome and the lion king. Ooohh and Hairspray was fantastic. Yeah I do have a few I really enjoy. Blush cough (All dogs go to heaven) cough. Shy Blush Big Grin
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-28-2016, 12:07 AM)taramarie Wrote:

Ah interesting! Aw c'mon musicals aren't all that bad. Happy Feet, sharks tale. snow white, beauty and the beast and An American Tail was awesome and the lion king. Ooohh and Hairspray was fantastic. Yeah I do have a few I really enjoy. Blush cough (All dogs go to heaven) cough. Shy Blush Big Grin

I am strangely at peace with this. Smile
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-28-2016, 12:24 AM)Galen Wrote:
(09-28-2016, 12:07 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 07:42 PM)Bronsin Wrote: This is another one from that movie that I really liked. Of course, I have the movie on VHS Smile

I am strangely at peace with this. Smile
hehehee well the world could do with more movies made to make us happy. I like them for when i watch them or think of them i smile and that is what makes life bearable. Brightens up my day. Plus i like the dancing if it is the movie with the songs. It is a reason why I like fred astaire movies too.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Ladies that ruled the 90s:  If Tori Amos was the nimble, red fairy queen and Kat Bjelland the merciless demon virago, then Canadian singer/songwriter Sarah MacLachlan was the decade's witchy earth goddess, and her breakthrough international hit came out in 1993.

I always loved this song, too (also from Fumbling Towards Ecstacy):

From 2007, the last of the "lost years". Cool

---Value Added Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 773 175,656 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 23,601 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green