Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Millennial Counter Argument - Millennials and their videos debunking everything
Video 
A recent post from my blog.

THE MILLENNIAL COUNTER ARGUMENT

September 25, 2018  Steve Comments 0 Comment

Since the streaming video era began, a new kind of content from the Millennial generation has become prevalent. It consists of episodes of commentary that dissects cultural phenomena, common sense knowledge or received history to get at hidden or unrepresented truth.

A famous example is Adam Ruins Everything, which began as a series on the CollegeHumor web site and then became a television show on truTV. An example you may have seen on Facebook is Racist History. Other examples abound on YouTube, in the form of named channels such as Counter ArgumentsCaptainDisillusionKnowing Better, Loose Canon by Lindsay Ellis (though I think she might have dropped that name), and Hilarious Helmet History from the web site Cracked (which itself fits this description).

With Spock-like logic and more than a little snark, the Millennial creatives who produce this content challenge assumptions and rewrite the narrative of conventional wisdom. Unsentimental and hyperrational, they seek to shine a cold, hard light on reality and reveal stark facts, repudiating the hysterics and oversaturation with meaning that characterize the Boomer outlook.
It’s like they seek to jettison all of the histrionic cultural baggage of the Boomer era, and rebuild a world based on reason and accuracy, in keeping with that Millennial mantra, “Keep Calm and Carry On.”

Here is a great example of what I mean:

[url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4VcOQz...U4VcOQzQm0[/url]
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(10-08-2018, 02:43 PM)sbarrera Wrote: A recent post from my blog.

Since the streaming video era began, a new kind of content from the Millennial generation has become prevalent. It consists of episodes of commentary that dissects cultural phenomena, common sense knowledge or received history to get at hidden or unrepresented truth.

A famous example is Adam Ruins Everything, which began as a series on the CollegeHumor web site and then became a television show on truTV. An example you may have seen on Facebook is Racist History. Other examples abound on YouTube, in the form of named channels such as Counter ArgumentsCaptainDisillusionKnowing Better, Loose Canon by Lindsay Ellis (though I think she might have dropped that name), and Hilarious Helmet History from the web site Cracked (which itself fits this description).

With Spock-like logic and more than a little snark, the Millennial creatives who produce this content challenge assumptions and rewrite the narrative of conventional wisdom. Unsentimental and hyperrational, they seek to shine a cold, hard light on reality and reveal stark facts, repudiating the hysterics and oversaturation with meaning that characterize the Boomer outlook.
It’s like they seek to jettison all of the histrionic cultural baggage of the Boomer era, and rebuild a world based on reason and accuracy, in keeping with that Millennial mantra, “Keep Calm and Carry On.”

OK, then how do you explain SJW's and antifa then.  Those are the opposite of what you describe above? Although some factions of the alt-right are racists, others are hilarious with those Pepe memes.

Cool Big Grin Tongue
---Value Added Cool
(10-08-2018, 07:05 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

OK, then how do you explain SJW's and antifa then.  Those are the opposite of what you describe above? Although some factions of the alt-right are racists, others are hilarious with those Pepe memes.

Cool Big Grin Tongue

Ragnarok, are you wanting to compare the video above with the examples I posted? It is an entirely different tack, absurdism along the lines of the Eric Andre show

As for SJWs in my examples, I believe Racist History fits the bill. But I'm sure there are examples from above debunking SJWs as well. The point isn't the partisan viewpoint, but rather the approach.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(10-08-2018, 10:54 PM)sbarrera Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 07:05 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

Cool Big Grin Tongue

Ragnarok, are you wanting to compare the video above with the examples I posted? It is an entirely different tack, absurdism along the lines of the Eric Andre show

As for SJWs in my examples, I believe Racist History fits the bill. But I'm sure there are examples from above debunking SJWs as well. The point isn't the partisan viewpoint, but rather the approach.

The way I see it, said Millies are following the footsteps set down by Xer's. Adult Swim was pioneered by X'ers after all.  Cf, South Park.   All things were lampooned to no end there, my man. As for moi,  SJW's are certainly a worthy target for lampooning. They're just like the Religious Right, in that I can't stand folks who tell me how to think. So...; a pox on both houses! There's also a whole community of Millies who engage in shitposting about most everything.  I find those quite entertaining as well.
---Value Added Cool
(10-08-2018, 11:40 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: The way I see it, said Millies are following the footsteps set down by Xer's. Adult Swim was pioneered by X'ers after all.  Cf, South Park.   All things were lampooned to no end there, my man. As for moi,  SJW's are certainly a worthy target for lampooning. They're just like the Religious Right, in that I can't stand folks who tell me how to think. So...; a pox on both houses! There's also a whole community of Millies who engage in shitposting about most everything.  I find those quite entertaining as well.

The Lost also tended to make fun of everything as Xer's often to do.  Mae West was probably the most controversial of the Lost comedians.  Listen Burns and Allen and Jack Benny and you will hear them lampooning everything even if it seems rather tame by comparison to current standards.  Consider some the publicity stunts of Burns and Allen in the context of the time. 

Nomads in general seem to have problems with the self-righteous of any type.  Probably because they fuck so many things up and leave the wreckage for someone else to deal with.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
The great thing about young adults is that they often have no obvious stake in the sensibilities of established interests. The horrible thing about young adults is that they often have no obvious stake in the sensibilities of established interests.

Maybe this explains why comedy is usually a young person's activity. The surviving Silent typically gave up on comedy (perhaps going to dramatic roles, as did such types as Jerry Lewis, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, and even Alan Alda) as they aged. Woody Allen went from being an exponent of a cerebral comedy to just being nuts. Christopher Lloyd, as zany as anyone, went behind the camera. I thought it was a loss of the timing -- it could be that older comedians' wit becomes so exposed that it becomes conventional and even stale. Take my wife -- please!

...Oh, by the way -- the Lost George Burns was the straight character. and the GI Gracie Allen was the one with the funny lines.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-09-2018, 08:35 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: ...Oh, by the way -- the Lost George Burns was the straight character. and the GI Gracie Allen was the one with the funny lines.

It was by design since Burns tried it the other way around at first and noticed that Gracie was the one getting the laughs.  On the other hand George Burns had a good career after Gracie had died in the early sixties.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(10-09-2018, 02:45 PM)Galen Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:35 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: ...Oh, by the way -- the Lost George Burns was the straight character. and the GI Gracie Allen was the one with the funny lines.

It was by design since Burns tried it the other way around at first and noticed that Gracie was the one getting the laughs.  On the other hand George Burns had a good career after Gracie had died in the early sixties.

I remember how remarkable it was to see Burns still kicking it at such an advanced age.

Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages
(10-09-2018, 05:46 PM)sbarrera Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 02:45 PM)Galen Wrote:

I remember how remarkable it was to see Burns still kicking it at such an advanced age.

Yes, even when I was young it seemed like he was going to live forever.  As it was, he was one of the few Lost that lasted longer than my great-grandmother which in his case was three years.  Oddly enough my great-grandmother was getting annoyed because her doctors kept retiring or dying on her.  If you asked the right question they would give you more truth than any Boomer you ever will meet.  When most of the nominal adults seem to be completely insane its a big deal.

Here's a particularly good example of the kind of video I was referring to in the original post.

Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare/Contrast of Millennials and GIs JasonBlack 9 1,884 10-15-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Millennial Women Empowered sbarrera 18 2,561 08-22-2022, 09:39 PM
  Are Millennials Cemented as Civics/Heroes Yet? Anthony '58 41 11,786 03-20-2022, 08:24 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  Do millennials have a closet fascination with masculinity? JasonBlack 6 1,890 03-19-2022, 08:09 AM
  Millennials blaming Boomers for everything going wrong Eric the Green 6 2,796 02-23-2022, 10:33 PM
Brick People not accepting our Millennial theory X Marks the Spot 43 16,430 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Millennials are the Scapegoat of everything going wrong. When will this stop? AspieMillennial 9 6,599 02-10-2022, 12:24 AM
  Rating Millennial start dates Ghost 5 2,092 12-31-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Are Safe Spaces for Religious Millennials Justified? AspieMillennial 39 16,322 10-18-2021, 01:35 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  A values consensus from Millennials? sbarrera 46 17,920 08-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green