Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
It's funny.
Tara says, "If I do post more music we better not hear a peep about you thinking it is all about you."

We better, or else WHAT? You won't post your songs?

Do whatever you like.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-08-2016, 05:21 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 05:11 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It's funny. "
Tara says, "If I do post more music we better not hear a peep about you thinking it is all about you."

Do whatever you like.
Or else would just be you would look like a fool saying one thing then saying another. Example: "post whatever you like"  "I bet these Disturbed posts are meant to upset me."

You do not want to look foolish, right? You say do whatever you like then make a post like that. Just don't do it if we want to feel invited to make posts.

Again, you can do whatever you like, and so can I. I don't care if you make posts or not.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Twilight Time, The Platters

An almost forgotten song, but in my opinion one of the best pop songs
of the 50s and one of the best pop songs ever.

Beautiful lyrics, a pure, simple melody, and a brilliant vocal
arrangement.

(06-08-2016, 01:28 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 01:51 AM)gabrielle Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 12:01 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 11:46 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 01:54 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This one from 2001 is an immersion in pure evocative feeling. Indescribable beauty.

My #3 all-time pick in the new age ambient genre.

And, being released on 1/1/01, probably the first piece of the New Millennium. And, I should say, still the best! Remarkable.

Kind of bored with it. It would be for calming purposes only for me and would help for falling asleep same as rain on a rooftop sounds do for me.

I kinda dig it.  

The Owl City song is pretty bad, though.

kinda dig the vibrant water; cool. It runs very deep.

I like catchy melodies. Maybe that's old fashioned, but "Good Time" is certainly that, and "Best Song Ever" and "Happy" and the Bieber songs are catchy and melodic, with good arrangements and vocals. But I admit it doesn't compare to the "best ever" of classical and classic rock, or even a few songbook items I will mention later. Or the new age like Vibrant Water. It's just pop; nothing deep or compelling. It's just a "good time" that I am happy to partake in, and sorry you guys miss out. Lots of millies dig those tunes.

I am just "happy" that I can pick out a favorite for the year for 5 straight years. For the 35 years before that, I could not have picked out such favorites. So it's neat that I can pick them out and post them somewhere; there was no means of doing that either years ago. Of course I COULD (and did) make out a list in the old days of classic rock in the core 2T, and it was more like two favorites a month that were at least of the caliber of these "happy" 4T pop tunes that I picked out. So I would not mean to exaggerate my veneration of the 4T/millie era pop tunes I have picked out.

I too like catchy melodies.  Our generation had many catchy melodies in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, even though you don't seem to have "ears to hear them."   Big Grin

There are a number of catchy tunes from the current 4T that I like, I just don't really care for the type of Millennial pop that you like.  To me it just sounds plastic and shallow and rather baby-ish.  It's music for kids, really.  Which is fine.  If you're a kid.  

Then again, I am perfectly willing (unlike you) to entertain the idea that I'm just getting old and out of touch.  Maybe when the new Artist/Adaptives come of age I will start liking pop music again, lol.
A companion song on my way to Houston for my first real job in 1986

What an awesome song and white hot steel metal blast furnace on the album cover.
---Value Added Cool
Let's go back to some classic stuff

Song 1
---Value Added Cool
Classic Song #2

---Value Added Cool
Classic song #4

---Value Added Cool
(06-08-2016, 06:05 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 06:01 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 05:21 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 05:11 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It's funny. "

Do whatever you like.
Or else would just be you would look like a fool saying one thing then saying another. Example: "post whatever you like"  "I bet these Disturbed posts are meant to upset me."

You do not want to look foolish, right? You say do whatever you like then make a post like that. Just don't do it if we want to feel invited to make posts.

Again, you can do whatever you like, and so can I. I don't care if you make posts or not.
So i can post and you can assume my music is a bash over the head for you? Say one thing then say something that opposes the right to post? You're strange.

I can "oppose" your "right to post?" You're funny!

That many people who say they don't like Bieber (I don't know who Beiber is) are older, is an objective fact. There are polls on that too. Some of us older folks liking his music anyway is also an objective fact. My statement that it's sometimes prejudice to not like Bieber is my opinion, although in many cases a valid one. Maybe for many, like gabrielle, songs like Good Time and Pray sound like music for kids, and they don't like that. Myself, I am looking past that, and I hear music that I like a lot in some of those songs. I know from all the thousands of you tube covers of Good Time, and the people who sang on them (sometimes thousands in one video), that a lot of them were 20 or 30-somethings. So that's an "objective fact" that many people who liked that popular song were not "kids."

I also know that many Gen X and some older millie listeners are used to stuff that is rough, edgy and cynical, and the upbeat and simple stuff in 4T millie pop doesn't jive with what they have learned to appreciate and which "expresses their experience." To me, the new simpler and upbeat millie pop is sometimes a relief and a joy.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I am ready too now to jump back into the late 2T and continue my tour backwards through time. My favorite song and nominee for a "best song ever" from 1984 was released early in the year.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-08-2016, 11:55 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Classic song #4

Fine song and all, but where's #3?

There's a commercial out now featuring "School's Out" (I don't think it's the original), and I was thinking, that kind of cool rock sound is not what the actual kids seem to be listening to as they get out for summer. They seem to be listening to Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (or Justin Bieber, or 1D), or Uptown Funk, a very different sound. So are the ad men grafting their own youth onto that of millies? I don't know. But I did like "School's Out" and the sound, and I wonder if the kids are digging that kind of sound as they get out of school this year. Maybe too rebellious and counter-cultural for them?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-08-2016, 09:54 PM)John J. Xenakis Wrote: Twilight Time, The Platters

An almost forgotten song, but in my opinion one of the best pop songs
of the 50s and one of the best pop songs ever.

Beautiful lyrics, a pure, simple melody, and a brilliant vocal
arrangement.

Good song. I picked another one from this genre to include on my top 400 rock songs:

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I'm no expert on song titles from 1983, although I'd probably recognize most of the hits. Every Breath You Take by The Police was #1, and I liked it, and I liked even more "Sending out an SOS" (might be from a different year). But I don't want to nominate them as best songs. 1983 was the big year for Michael Jackson's Thriller, and Flashdance. Some good songs, but not my favorites. So, I reach instead for a very obscure one that I learned of from a poster here, who went by Summer in the Fall; very idealistic, and probably gabrielle will call it a song for kids. But I am swept away by the feeling, the singing and the melody. She had some hits too, but unfortunately this song was not one of them. A best song ever (yes, that's in my opinion, Tara)? Maybe.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Who had a big hit in 1982, so that's an easy call. Eminence Front. Now used for GMC commercials, introductions of ball players, Grand Theft Auto video games, etc. Because the piano part is just so happenin'

Come and join the party, dress to kill!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-08-2016, 11:33 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: A companion song on my way to Houston for my first real job in 1986

Krokus, eh? A cautious thumbs up for that one.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Eric The Green Wrote:Fine song and all, but where's #3?

Well, I seemed to have erred posting late night and all and lost it.  Here it is:

Mark and Mike, two of my older cousins introduced me to that one.

Eric Wrote:There's a commercial out now featuring "School's Out" (I don't think it's the original), and I was thinking, that kind of cool rock sound is not what the actual kids seem to be listening to as they get out for summer. They seem to be listening to Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (or Justin Bieber, or 1D), or Uptown Funk, a very different sound. So are the ad men grafting their own youth onto that of millies? I don't know. But I did like "School's Out" and the sound, and I wonder if the kids are digging that kind of sound as they get out of school this year. Maybe too rebellious and counter-cultural for them?

I'd guess probably both. The Hero/Artist cusp folks who are getting set to come of age are pretty much at the opposite of the archetype cycle than Jonesers.
---Value Added Cool

Gustav Mahler, "St. Anthony Preaches to the Fishes", from Des Knaben Wunderhorn

Technically this is a Lied and  not a song -- but it catches the hypocrisy that a child might see in the adult world. Saint Anthony, finding the church empty, decides to instead preach to the water creatures (including turtles and crabs which technically are not fish). They listen with rapt attention as he preaches, but after he leaves they return to their old vices.

But they loved the sermon!
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(06-09-2016, 01:04 PM)taramarie Wrote: Like i have been saying i do not care if it is your personal opinion. That is the magical word of the day. PERSONAL. I think with you it is like talking to a brick wall. I can see why Galen calls you Obtuse. I have no problem getting through to other people. With you it is like i am speaking another language. I hope you are not an idiot, and just stubborn....hence obtuse. I believe everybody else here understands me except you.

Because you persist in being mean. I guess that's your inclination. You can't be anything but serious, and personal is indeed the word for you, because you take everything personally, can't see humor, and won't let go of a perceived slight. I suggest you get some help for that.

One more mean post from you, and you're on ignore. There's no excuse for your icky behavior. I want to discourage myself from participating in these useless personal arguments. That's what the ignore list is for.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-09-2016, 07:29 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: That many people who say they don't like Bieber (I don't know who Beiber is) are older, is an objective fact. There are polls on that too. Some of us older folks liking his music anyway is also an objective fact. My statement that it's sometimes prejudice to not like Bieber is my opinion, although in many cases a valid one. Maybe for many, like gabrielle, songs like Good Time and Pray sound like music for kids, and they don't like that. Myself, I am looking past that, and I hear music that I like a lot in some of those songs. I know from all the thousands of you tube covers of Good Time, and the people who sang on them (sometimes thousands in one video), that a lot of them were 20 or 30-somethings. So that's an "objective fact" that many people who liked that popular song were not "kids."

I also know that many Gen X and some older millie listeners are used to stuff that is rough, edgy and cynical, and the upbeat and simple stuff in 4T millie pop doesn't jive with what they have learned to appreciate and which "expresses their experience." To me, the new simpler and upbeat millie pop is sometimes a relief and a joy.

Here is a song from that window of time you consider a void of creativity in popular music.  It has as catchy a tune as any Millennial pop song; its mood just as simple and upbeat (though if you listen closely to the lyrics they seem better suited to the Nomad's more ambivalent childhood/youth experience).

This is also what I would consider "kid's music."  It was our kid's music; my particular cohort (I was probably 11 or 12 when this song was released) was the audience for this type of pop--New Wave synthpop.  It was mainly teens and tweens buying this music in the early to mid 80s, often in cassette form to listen to in their Walkmans.  But to my knowledge, this music did not appeal to core Boomers, at least not to any great extent.  They had simply outgrown this sort of thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking simple, upbeat pop music as an adult!  I just think it is a type of music that usually tends to appeal more to children.  Perhaps I was being too harsh calling the Owl City song "awful."

(06-09-2016, 06:04 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Gustav Mahler, "St. Anthony Preaches to the Fishes", from Des Knaben Wunderhorn

Technically this is a Lied and  not a song -- but it catches the hypocrisy that a child might see in the adult world. Saint Anthony, finding the church empty, decides to instead preach to the water creatures (including turtles and crabs which technically are not fish). They listen with rapt attention as he preaches, but after he leaves they return to their old vices.

But they loved the sermon!

Nice, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,386 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,493 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green