Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: The Partisan Divide on Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-18-2021, 11:35 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]No, I call only racists and fascists "racists" and "fascists"... and I am a bad match for Commies. I know the difference between conservatism and fascism, and I know well that if America ever went fascist, then the only way to survive as a recent conservative would be as a fellow-traveler of the fascists if one could not emigrate. That's how things went in the Third Reich. 

I have enough conservative characteristics to be an antithesis of Nazis, Stalinists, and Ba'athists. 

Objective reality is a better clue to existing messes than is free-floating anger like yours.   

Quote:So, do you consider that (vile word deleted) family friendly? If you do. you BETTER PRAY I don't get a hold of you you backward minded piece of shit. Dude, when the day of reckoning comes, I suggest that you take the advice that I gave to fellow Libtard years ago.

I have more in common with an Iranian liberal than I have in common with a fascist who is American to the extent that he could never be anything else -- and of course is a dreadful example of what it means to be an American!
Are you sure that you only call racists and fascists "racists and fascists"? Keep in mind, I have been around for many years. I know the truth about you and I know that you're lying about that. As far as my anger, it's  focused and directed at a particular group of Democrats. Free floating does not apply nor represent the truth about my anger and the use of anger. Anger is a tool dude.  I didn't choose the group that you are in so to speak.
(08-19-2021, 03:36 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2021, 07:39 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]You are an adult right. I'm going to ask you a question, if I said [expletive deleted] to your [expletive deleted] face, would you treat me like a kid and correct me?

Well, you act like a kid.  You are obsessed with violence and foul language.  Still, you are passed the age where you can learn and have repeatedly demonstrated that you can't learn.  You are likely a little old to be sent to the principle's office.  It would be kinda futile.
You should be able to tell the difference between a kid and an adult. Other than Reds are racist people and cops are racists too and the minorities are born inferior and will always be viewed as inferior by white, America is bad or evil or behind as far as the rest of the world, what are you teaching and failing to teach me? Yep. I'm to old to be sent to the principle's office I'm also to old to be scolded or intimidated by someone like you or PB these days.
(08-19-2021, 07:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2021, 11:35 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]No, I call only racists and fascists "racists" and "fascists"... and I am a bad match for Commies. I know the difference between conservatism and fascism, and I know well that if America ever went fascist, then the only way to survive as a recent conservative would be as a fellow-traveler of the fascists if one could not emigrate. That's how things went in the Third Reich. 

I have enough conservative characteristics to be an antithesis of Nazis, Stalinists, and Ba'athists. 

Objective reality is a better clue to existing messes than is free-floating anger like yours.   

Quote:So, do you consider that (vile word deleted) family friendly? If you do. you BETTER PRAY I don't get a hold of you you backward minded piece of shit. Dude, when the day of reckoning comes, I suggest that you take the advice that I gave to fellow Libtard years ago.

I have more in common with an Iranian liberal than I have in common with a fascist who is American to the extent that he could never be anything else -- and of course is a dreadful example of what it means to be an American!

Are you sure that you only call racists and fascists "racists and fascists"? Keep in mind, I have been around for many years. I know the truth about you and I know that you're lying about that. As far as my anger, it's  focused and directed at a particular group of Democrats. Free floating does not apply nor represent the truth about my anger and the use of anger. Anger is a tool dude.  I didn't choose the group that you are in so to speak.

Usually they make it clear. They may deny that they are, but facile denials are not enough. It is as with drunks. Many drunks deny being drunk, but you can tell that they are drunk.
(08-19-2021, 08:13 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to tell the difference between a kid and an adult. Other than Reds are racist people and cops are racists too and the minorities are born inferior and will always be viewed as inferior by white, America is bad or evil or behind as far as the rest of the world, what are you teaching and  failing to teach me? Yep. I'm to old to be sent to the principle's office I'm also to old to be scolded or intimidated by someone like you or PB these days.

Tribal Thinking.  One thinks of one’s self as superior, and makes up excuses to think others unlike you are inferior, justifying prejudice, oppression and violence.  That is the center of the problem.  I would not say the US is the worst at it.  Look at prior crises.  Kings.  Slavery.  Conquest of lands inhabited by the disliked people.  I would not say the US is free of it.

Kids indulge in it too.  You dislike and use violence on a smaller scale to those outside particular cliques.  The instructors do what they can to moderate the anti social behavior, the prejudice, the foul language, the violence.  They have only partial success.  Not surprising.  Humans evolved crushing others with different genes.  Tribal thinking was cost effective back then, at least for the winners.  As a result, the teachers and principles are going to fail.  People like you are going to slip though the cracks.  Thus, we have to deal with prejudice, foul language, and violence by so called adults.  Our culture is the worse for it.

Before George Floyd’s death, the KKK, the Neo Nazi and Antifa seemed to enjoy having fist fights with each other.  Before and after, bad cops would murder minorities.  Nuts would shoot up a social club, or drive though a crowd.  Rural racists would pile into pick up trucks and shoot paint balls into protestors.  Folks plotted to kidnap and kill a governor.  Then there was the racist organizations in the January 6th insurrection.  This is all a wrinkle on tribal thinking, on prejudice, foul language, intimidation and violence.  This is all an outgrowth of the teachers not managing to overcome flaws in the culture, not teaching the children what America should be about.

All men are created equal.

Now you come into a site discussing history and politics and throw around foul language and empty threats of violence.  Am I supposed to be impressed?  You can’t do anything with fact and reason so you behave like a kid?

In each crisis, the greatest flaw in the culture is removed.  You might think of yourself as representing the greatest flaw in the culture.
Time for some cultural surgery, Classic Xer! You are on the doctor's table!
(08-20-2021, 08:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Time for some cultural surgery, Classic Xer! You are on the doctor's table!
Go ahead make my day so to speak.
(08-20-2021, 06:21 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2021, 08:13 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to tell the difference between a kid and an adult. Other than Reds are racist people and cops are racists too and the minorities are born inferior and will always be viewed as inferior by white, America is bad or evil or behind as far as the rest of the world, what are you teaching and  failing to teach me? Yep. I'm to old to be sent to the principle's office I'm also to old to be scolded or intimidated by someone like you or PB these days.

Tribal Thinking.  One thinks of one’s self as superior, and makes up excuses to think others unlike you are inferior, justifying prejudice, oppression and violence.  That is the center of the problem.  I would not say the US is the worst at it.  Look at prior crises.  Kings.  Slavery.  Conquest of lands inhabited by the disliked people.  I would not say the US is free of it.

One thing that I am not is "tribal", as you would probably see quickly. Most people now recognize colonial adventures as costly and futile. Slavery is an abomination. I recognize America not so much as an anti-traditional country as it is a country with multiple traditions that can get along so long as they avoid forcing their ways upon others. Korean-Americans are not going to become Jews, and Jews are not going to become Korean-Americans even if they have a few things in common.

Why am I not tribal? Roughly one half of my ancestry is German, and as such I have a love-hate relationship with Germany. Fortunately the one part of Germany that I thoroughly hate, Nazism, is dead. German-American cuisine is awful (meat loaf, potato salad, hamburgers, frankfurters) for insipidness or for poor consequences to personal health (alcoholic beverages, high-fat sausages, and sugary desserts). I see other traditions as just as valid as what I have.    

Quote:Kids indulge in it too.  You (Classic X'er) dislike and use violence on a smaller scale to those outside particular cliques.  The instructors do what they can to moderate the anti social behavior, the prejudice, the foul language, the violence.  They have only partial success.  Not surprising.  Humans evolved crushing others with different genes.  Tribal thinking was cost effective back then, at least for the winners.  As a result, the teachers and principles are going to fail.  People like you are going to slip though the cracks.  Thus, we have to deal with prejudice, foul language, and violence by so called adults.  Our culture is the worse for it.

The best thing that can happen is for someone like Classic X'er to become the "crazy uncle" that we warn kids to avoid before he ends up in prison, the morgue, or the nursing home. It will be an unpleasant role for him, but he has earned it. Civility arises from the suppression of the worst tendencies in human nature, and that is one of the essential things to learn. People who fail to learn that cannot get along in a wholesome society. I don't know how it is possible to inculcate something so necessary for success as impulse control except to organize rewards for the deferral of gratification. People must exercise thrift, reject excess, eschew violence, moderate their speech to avoid provocations, and develop themselves vocationally. The cultures that promote formal education as a virtue in its own right will fare better than others even in the presence of racism.  

White privilege is worthless if it has a meth or opioid habit attached.    

Quote:Before George Floyd’s death, the KKK, the Neo Nazi and Antifa seemed to enjoy having fist fights with each other.  Before and after, bad cops would murder minorities.  Nuts would shoot up a social club, or drive though a crowd.  Rural racists would pile into pick up trucks and shoot paint balls into protestors.  Folks plotted to kidnap and kill a governor.  Then there was the racist organizations in the January 6th insurrection.  This is all a wrinkle on tribal thinking, on prejudice, foul language, intimidation and violence.  This is all an outgrowth of the teachers not managing to overcome flaws in the culture, not teaching the children what America should be about.

Tribal thinking achieves nothing but poverty and violence. people seem to be catching on. 

I expect some very long prison terms for people involved in the Michigan plot and the Capitol Putsch, and much faster than upon the violent participants in the rearguard actions against the Civil Rights struggle. 

Quote:All men are created equal.

Now you (Classic X'er) come into a site discussing history and politics and throw around foul language and empty threats of violence.  Am I supposed to be impressed?  You can’t do anything with fact and reason so you behave like a kid?

In each crisis, the greatest flaw in the culture is removed.  You might think of yourself as representing the greatest flaw in the culture.

History is all too often an obscene tale imprinted with the blood of innocent people upon the symbolic parchment of the flesh of those innocent people. We teach it to our children because we cannot afford to repeat it. No more Mongol-style mass-murder! No more mistreatment of First peoples of the Americas! No more Atlantic slave trade! No more Holodomor or Holocaust! No more Killing Fields!

In premodern times people used fables and fairy tales to inculcate values. The Boy who Cried Wolf, the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, Little Red Riding Hood all involve wolves, real dangers to children and livestock, or a warning to not be as deviously predatory as a wolf. 

Speaking of wolves... we use history to warn us of the dangers of the worst wolf of all time, Adolf Hitler ("Adolf" translates as "Noble Wolf"), and not some fairy tale that begin "Once upon there was an evil king named Adolf Hitler"...
(08-20-2021, 08:11 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]Time for some cultural surgery, Classic Xer! You are on the doctor's table!

It is too bad that there is no "Antabuse" to make Classic X'er find his bad habits troublesome.
(08-20-2021, 12:18 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]

We'll have to chain you to the operating table! Don't worry, you'll feel better after the operation. I promise! Smile
(08-22-2021, 01:58 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]

We'll have to chain you to the operating table! Don't worry, you'll feel better after the operation. I promise! Smile
Like I said, go ahead make my day.
(08-20-2021, 03:24 PM),pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that I am not is "tribal", as you would probably see quickly. Most people now recognize colonial adventures as costly and futile. Slavery is an abomination. I recognize America not so much as an anti-traditional country as it is a country with multiple traditions that can get along so long as they avoid forcing their ways upon others. Korean-Americans are not going to become Jews, and Jews are not going to become Korean-Americans even if they have a few things in common.

Why am I not tribal? Roughly one half of my ancestry is German, and as such I have a love-hate relationship with Germany. Fortunately the one part of Germany that I thoroughly hate, Nazism, is dead. German-American cuisine is awful (meat loaf, potato salad, hamburgers, frankfurters) for insipidness or for poor consequences to personal health (alcoholic beverages, high-fat sausages, and sugary desserts). I see other traditions as just as valid as what I have.    
This is a lie. You've been a partisan blue hack the entire time we've been posting together. Partisan hacks like you and the others are as tribal as they come these days. There's plenty of proof of it all over this place. You can read right. You still have a high enough IQ to be able to comprehend, read in between the lines, put two and two together and reach/form conclusions right. So, why are you smart enough to know forcing your way on Americans isn't going to end well but dumb enough to continue supporting the Democrats who are doing it right now? What's your excuse or f-n problem dude?
(08-24-2021, 04:44 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]

We will....
(08-24-2021, 06:23 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2021, 03:24 PM),pbrower2a Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that I am not is "tribal", as you would probably see quickly. Most people now recognize colonial adventures as costly and futile. Slavery is an abomination. I recognize America not so much as an anti-traditional country as it is a country with multiple traditions that can get along so long as they avoid forcing their ways upon others. Korean-Americans are not going to become Jews, and Jews are not going to become Korean-Americans even if they have a few things in common.

This is a lie. You've been a partisan blue hack the entire time we've been posting together. Partisan hacks like you and the others are as tribal as they come these days. There's plenty of proof of it all over this place. You can read right. You still have a high enough IQ to be able to comprehend, read in between the lines, put two and two together and reach/form conclusions right. So, why are you smart enough to know forcing your way on Americans isn't going to end well but dumb enough to continue supporting the Democrats who are doing it right now? What's your excuse or f-n problem dude?

Lie? That is excessive. Opinion, warranted or otherwise? That is a different matter. We all have a right to our opinions, but we do not have a choice on fact (such as historical or geographic reality). We do not get to choose the rules of logic as a structure of thought, either: we can only be right, wrong, or ambiguous.    

If I do not identify with a tribe, then I am not "tribal". I'm not discussing only First Peoples of the Americas (no known connection).

I recognize equally the validity of traditions not mine by ethnicity and religion, including those not mine.  

Sure, I admit to being a partisan hack. This said, the Republican Party as it is now constituted has no appeal to me. At one time the GOP had the virtue as a refuge from racist and radical populists that the GOP now embraces. Forcing one's way upon others contrary to their cultural values is itself abominable. You seem to be the type who insists that people adopt your way that you believe is the only valid American way of life, and that anyone who fails to meet your standard is to at the best be a pariah to be exploited and humiliated on behalf of "real Americans" as you define the meme.  At worst? Dispossessed, exiled, or murdered? 

America is no longer a white Christian man's nation. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo that allowed the United States to annex most of the American Southwest compels the USA to treat persons of Mexican origin from the time of the treaty as if "white" in law and in voting rights. That was a small group of people who often assimilated... but it has grown greatly. Puerto Ricans? Likewise.  The 13th, 14th,  and 15th Amendments establish that the slaves from before emancipation and their progeny who have no other imaginable home than America are free Americans with citizenship and voting rights. In  some respects they have made themselves through their great cultural achievements that no other Americans could do  a nation within a nation...  

Need I go on?

If you cannot recognize the rights of people who are Americans by law to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, then you are a damnable traitor!
The Constitutional rights that we all have keep this country from disintegrating or becoming the sort of Evil Empire that freer countries either dismantle or else impose major, revolutionary changes upon -- but not without harsh judgment upon those who do evil.

I know, I know, I know. It's a rough world when much of it seems to be going away from you, and your rearguard defenses of your self-image get hammered. Maybe you are defending something indefensible. You are much like soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army who held out years after the surrender of the gangster regime that put them in some isolated place. Some remained in action as late as the 1970's The world changes, and you don't. Heck, I'm 65 and many changes that I have known are distressing, including the disappearance of certain merchandise.  I miss certain entertainers, writers, and artists. But that happens. Just think of how wildly different the world was from 1890 to 1955.

I was born closer to the time of the horse and buggy, when Queen Victoria was on the throne in England and "painting the map red" was a reference to Victoria's seemingly-limitless empire. I was born closer to the time in which there were plenty of Civil War soldiers still living. There was no radio, and Brahms, Bruckner, Dvorak, and Tchaikovsky were still composing. Basketball had yet to be invented, and college football had yet to introduce the forward pass. The American League did not yet exist. Heck, Babe Ruth was yet to be born! Austria and Germany had Kaisers, Russia had a Tsar, Persia had a Shah, Turkey had a Sultan, and China and Ethiopia had Emperors... and America was understood to still be something of a novelty. The USA is still here, and those monarchs are all gone.

Am I a prude? At my age I can't be. I've SEEN IT ALL and I could tell some people that much that they consider doing brought failure, economic ruin, and personal shame back in the Old Days and will have much the same effect. Let me tell you about the hazards that extremism, bigotry, and recklessness do. What's really horrid is someone who should know better (like Donald Trump) despite his supposed experience. Foul language? It was ugly when I was a child and it is still ugly today.
Sometimes the two major parties now are called "tribes". So I wonder if Classic Xer willingly admits to being in the red tribe, which he certainly is. I could not quarrel if he says I am in the blue tribe. That is just the current fashion of naming our current polarization. We are not tribes in the old sense.

He may think his "tribe" can pull some moderates away from our side, as he often says, and maybe so, but sometimes we can pull some away from his side too. He and other Trump Tribers may denounce or disown them, but that's just sulking. We do our share of sulking too; I don't want members of our tribe to desert either. We need to win.
(08-24-2021, 07:08 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]

We will....
You're lucky we are talking on the internet. In real life, I would have wiped that silly smile off your face. So, how do you feel about ending up on a cold slab or being left to rot on a street?
(08-25-2021, 01:39 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2021, 12:18 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]Go ahead make my day so to speak.

We will....

You're lucky we are talking on the internet. In real life, I would have wiped that silly smile off your face. So, how do you feel about ending up on a cold slab or being left to rot on a street?

You are reported for the use of threatening language. 

Get help, Classic X'er, before you do something that will cost you and your immensely in legal consequences and economic harm.  

Mental Health Minnesota | 651.493.6634 or 800.862.1799

info@mentalhealthmn.org | 2233 University Ave W, Suite 200 | St. Paul MN 55114

Your violent rhetoric suggests that you can do things that bring you shame, financial ruin, serious injury, and bad legal consequences. I say this as if I were a friend. Your family, your employees, and your customers, and complete strangers deserve better. Life can be tough.
(08-25-2021, 01:39 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2021, 12:18 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]Go ahead make my day so to speak.

We will....

Well, I will end up something like that anyway in 10-30 years. And although you may prefer violence to defend your cultural ID, our side will not need to operate on yours that way. We will just prevail democratically, and you will just have to painlessly go along for a while with the new consensus and get more educated, at least to some extent. 

Meanwhile, I suppose you plan to defend your cultural ID by joining a militia. Or are you really going to put your body where your mouth is? Your militias will have to be put down violently, if they are violent; but that should be comparatively easy, and if you are violent alone or within this militia, you could end up on a cold slab or being left to rot on a street, or in jail for a long time, and your guns taken away. Perhaps re-education camps will do the trick to deprogram you? Who knows.
Posted on a slow-moving, seemingly moribund thread. This happens when political polarization goes super-violent and super-devious:

The legal process can unfold with amazing... sloth. One pleads guilty to a felony to avoid even harder time, perhaps in return for lesser time in prison than others involved. 

Quote:A Michigan man who admitted taking part in an extremist group's plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in retaliation for Covid restrictions was sentenced Wednesday to over six years in prison.

The man, Ty Garbin, 25, is the only person to have pleaded guilty out of the more than a dozen men facing state and federal charges stemming from the plot. Five of those charged in federal court pleaded not guilty and face trial in October.

U.S. District Judge Robert Jonker sentenced Garbin to 75 months in prison, followed by three years of probation, and a $2,500 fine.

During the sentencing hearing, Garbin apologized to Whitmer, who was not present.
"First, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and her family," he told the court. "I've had a lot of time to reflect on my actions, and I never realized what my actions would have caused to her, but also her family.
"I can't even begin to imagine the amount of stress and fear her family members felt because of my actions, and for that I'm truly sorry," he said.

Source: NBC News.

He has had ten months in which to reflect. At least he is young enough that he can make something out of himself. My suggestion to him: read... and read... and read. Contrition is a healthy thing.
I could have been a juror on that trial!
(08-25-2021, 04:26 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2021, 01:39 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]You're lucky we are talking on the internet. In real life, I would have wiped that silly smile off your face. So, how do you feel about ending up on a cold slab or being left to rot on a street?

Well, I will end up something like that anyway in 10-30 years. And although you may prefer violence to defend your cultural ID, our side will not need to operate on yours that way. We will just prevail democratically, and you will just have to painlessly go along for a while with the new consensus and get more educated, at least to some extent. 

Meanwhile, I suppose you plan to defend your cultural ID by joining a militia. Or are you really going to put your body where your mouth is? Your militias will have to be put down violently, if they are violent; but that should be comparatively easy, and if you are violent alone or within this militia, you could end up on a cold slab or being left to rot on a street, or in jail for a long time, and your guns taken away. Perhaps re-education camps will do the trick to deprogram you? Who knows.

I suspect a lot of rhetoric and little to no action as the response to the white-right slowly losing power.  Are there alwasy a few violent radicals on the fringe?  Sure, but Classic doesn't seem cut out to be one of them.  People with much to lose tend to temper their actions.